Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anyone gone to full synthetic at first 600 mile service and noticed any issues? I know old school was not to switch till at least 5000 miles to allow proper break in, but I think with new technology that is really not an issue.
I know quite a few auto manufacturers start with synthetic. Appreciate any input.

·
Registered
267 Posts
Switch to synthetic

Has anyone gone to full synthetic at first 600 mile service and noticed any issues? I know old school was not to switch till at least 5000 miles to allow proper break in, but I think with new technology that is really not an issue.
I know quite a few auto manufacturers start with synthetic. Appreciate any input.

·
Registered
318 Posts
I went synthetic at my 600 mile service at the advice of the dealer and haven't had a problem. I'm at a little over 11000 miles and haven't had to add any oil between changes. I used Motul 10w-40 with Kawi filter first (dealer suggested), Amsoil 20w-50 with wix filter at second change and just changed with Rotella a 5w-40 and a K&N filter yesterday.

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App

·
Registered
3,886 Posts
When I got my Voyager, the guy who showed me things I should know suggested not using syn, at any time. Opinions vary on it I guess. I did go to Amsoil at 7,200 miles on the 3rd change, 1st at 634, 2nd at 3,403, then the syn at 7,200. Will change again by mid summer because have a road trip planned for end of August, should be around 15,000 by then, at 10,200 now. Will most likely go back to dyno oil after that, bought enough Amsoil for 2 changes with filters.

·
Registered
31 Posts
When I got my Voyager, the guy who showed me things I should know suggested not using syn, at any time. Opinions vary on it I guess. I did go to Amsoil at 7,200 miles on the 3rd change, 1st at 634, 2nd at 3,403, then the syn at 7,200. Will change again by mid summer because have a road trip planned for end of August, should be around 15,000 by then, at 10,200 now. Will most likely go back to dyno oil after that, bought enough Amsoil for 2 changes with filters.

I went with Amsoil 10W40MCF and a Ea103 Amsoil filter @ 600 miles and zero issues to date.

What would Bubba say?

·
Registered
65 Posts
Went with full (Kaw) synthetic, 10W/40 @ approx 745 miles, after speaking directly to a Kaw/rep on the Kawasaki Tech line. He said, if I had broke it in with a petroleum base oil, it would be fine! I work in sales at a dealership, and on my Service Mgr's advice spoke directly to Kaw Corp. service tech. So far, all seems well, and the bike runs strong, with approx 12K on speedo. I really do not think with today's technology, this would or could present a problem! Jus' Say'en,,,,,,

1 - 7 of 7 Posts