Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Premium Member
775 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Greetings @Rick
This turned out to be a long post. So I do not want to hijack the original thread and will answer in a new thread instead. You have asked what is GOOD and BAD about GoPro. Here is my answer to that.

There are 1.5 million good reviews of GoPro and it is used by GoPro enthusiasts and professional a like. With a good reason, it is a fantastic little camera. However my review is not a sales pitch or an attempt to make people feel better about their purchase. Only a summation of what it is like to live with GoPro

While I like this camera and taking it with me on our long rally over any other minicam here are some things to watch out for.

Battery life
About 2.5 hours at 72F. The hotter the ambient temperature the faster you will drain it. Can go as low as one hour if it is really hot outside. Camera produces heat when you use it, so that adds to the battery temperature. Charge time, about 4 to 5 hours plugged in to USB or in to the wall.

Filming time.
That depends on what memory card you use. It comes with 32GB card, which allows for about 1.5 hours of 1080p at 60fps high quality high definition video. After that the storage is full and you need to stick another card in, or download footage and clear the camera.

Original case is waterproof. You can dunk it in a river and it will be fine. So rain is not a problem, if used in original case.

The camera spots red and blue LED when you are shooting video. But you can turn that off in settings and go in to stealth mode. Nobody knows if you are shooting or not. I like that. ;) (evil grin)

The lens on the camera is very very wide. This means that you will get a lot on the screen at closeup, but anything that is further than 200 yards away is microscopically small. That is the compromise of the wide lens. The video quality is fantastic. Especially when shooting at 1080p 60fps. Smooth and clear picture. No jerkiness, no missed frames. Smooth and clear. Just fantastic. I have not seen footage as good as this from other cheaper and smaller cameras. This what makes GoPro stand out from the rest. The video quality.

It has a 4K mode, but at 12 frames per second it is a waist of bits on the memory card. 1080p at 30 or 60 fps is the best choice.

Mounting options
You can buy a motorcycle kit GoPro option when buying on Amazon. The camera will come with the mounting kit for your helmet. It consist of an adhesive concave plate that you attach to your lid and a standard GoPro bracket. You can mount it on top of any lid. This provides best field of view because it is high and not abstracted with anything. However you will look like a tele-tubby. (personally I do not care). You can mount it on the side of your lid if you got ¾ or full-face, but due to the wide angle lens at least ⅓ of the screen will be taken up by the lid and/or side your face.

At first I thought that mounting camera on top of my lid will pull my head back at high speed. Nope. 80mph - no problems. I do not even notice that it is there unless I see my shadow or people smiling and waving at me.

The third option is to mount it on your chin of your full-face lid, which takes some extensions. The good thing is that the view field is now similar to what you see. It is just below your eyesight. The bad thing is that if you ride with a fairing the camera is looking at and through the fairing. Thus giving you a high definition footage of your instrument cluster rather then the road. All depends on how tall you are.

Another option would be to mount it close to forehead. This way you get the view just above your eyesight. This works for lids that do not have a vizor that opens up.

Nordicflash makes mounts for the handle bars. [ame]http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00JCT2XEQ/[/ame] It fits anything from 0.44" to 1.38". So you can mount it on engine guard for some artistic shots. The Nordicflash mount is made out of plastic. So it works while new. But plastic get’s old and brittle. It will last you for a year or two, after that you have to take your chances. The mount cost $15. I’ve managed to use that mount on engine guard, and on turn lights and on the bar under the headlight. If you do not attach too many joints between the mount and the camera the image does not vibrate. But the more joints you add the move vibration you get to the point that the footage is useless.

Sound options
Before we tackle this one be aware that there is GoPro4 Silver and GoPro Black. (At least at the time of writing this post). Both cameras look exactly the same (same color too). But GoPro Black is about $150 more expensive than GoPro Silver. The so called "Black" version got Bluetooth and "Silver" does not. This comes important when dealing with sound especially on a bike.

If you just stick the cam on your bike or on your lid, turn it on and go for a ride all you will hear is whistling wind if you go anything faster than a bicycle. The built in mic is good when you are not moving fast, but inside the plastic case at speed all it hears is the wind passing over the plastic case. High-pitch noise. That is all you get. So in order to get proper sound you would need a proper mic for it. You have options.

If you have a full-face lid you may use either a wired microphone or a bluetooth headset that you can route to the camera. With "Black" version you simply pair your headset with the camera. Not sure how well that works, I do not have GoPro Black. With Silver (which is what I have [ame]http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00PB7TFZS[/ame]) you can get a Bluetooth expansion pack [ame]http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00KJGPN5W[/ame] make sure you get one that comes with the camera case. Because once you stick the pack on the back of the camera it will no longer fit in to the original GoPro case. Now you can pair the headset with the Bluetooth pack and have your lid mounted mike routed via Bluetooth in to the camera. I’ve done that with Sena SMH10-11 headset [ame]http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0087NB088[/ame] and did not like it. The headset produces very dirty buzzing sound on top of your voice. The voice sounds tinny. Eventually they sent a replacement but the replacement is not much better. Alternatively you can use Shark headset [ame]http://www.amazon.com/dp/B004P449QI/[/ame] which sounds a lot better. You can Bluetooth it to that same expansion pack.

Third option, which I found the best sound quality and absolutely bulletproof because it requires no battery is a wired mic. [ame]http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00N0EA3NC[/ame] This wired mic is designed to be clipped to your shirt, but I found it works just fine when duck-taped to the inside of your lid. The sound quality is fantastic. You get the engine noise of your bike, and your voice. While if you close your lid on a full-face helmet you get virtually no wind noise at all. This is the best choice for sound quality. However the compromise is that A) you have to have a wire running from your lid to the camera, meaning you can’t mount it on the engine guard and speak in to it as you ride and B) You need an open case for your GoPro so you can stick the wire in. [ame]http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00PKLBW6U[/ame] This means no riding in rain. This case is obviously not water proof.

If you ride in a scull-cap you would need a boom mic. This is a hard one, because however fat that mic is, it will not be protected from the wind. So for really good sound you may need to sacrifice the look and feel of the scull-cap to a caged full-face lid. You are a camera man, when you ride with the camera :). After 2 hours the battery is dead anyway and you can go back scull-cap.

Remote
Yes there is such a thing [ame]http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00NIYNU8E[/ame]
The nice thing about this remote is that it has nice chunky rubber button instead of dumb touch screen. This means you can operate it with your thumb while riding, even in gloves. The bad thing about it, is that it is no Bluetooth. It is WiFi. Yes. WiFi, like the WiFi in cafe or at your house. The way it works, is that the camera has to be configured in to WiFi remote mode. When you do that that camera becomes a WiFi hotspot. The remote, uses that WiFi to communicate to the camera. Everything you see on your camera menu screen is visible on the remote. But once you recharge the camera battery (even if the battery did not go flat) the camera forgets that it was married to remote and have to be reminded again.

There is a few seconds lag when you use this remote. Up to 10 seconds in fact. So you push the button… nothing happens… Camera thinks "He pushed that button… I have to do something… Now… What could that be?.. Am I a toaster? Am I a washing machine? Oh! I know! I am a camera! This means he wants me to start shooting!

If you ride in jacket and gloves the belt on the remote is not long enough. But it wraps around the brake fluid reservoir quite nicely. You can easily rich out and push start / stop / on / off. The red LED will indicate that you are recording. It also shows the battery status of the camera. (not of the remote). The remote charge lasts as long as about two and a half or three camera charges. So camera will definitely die first.

Since it is WiFi and not a low power bluetooth the battery get’s drained faster.

The other nasty thing to watch out is the current camera settings. It is all fine and dandy when you play around with it at the house. But when you are on a sunlight and action is happening and you are in a hurry it is easy to accidentally switch it in to Photo mode. Suddenly you think you are doing video and all you got was one frame of you turning the camera on with a remote. So make sure you know how to get to Video mode quick and set the video mode to be your default setting.

·
Registered
3,897 Posts
Can it be run off a USB adapter plugged into the power outlet on my Voyager? The wind noise would need to be dealt with I guess with another mic behind the fairing I suppose. A very good report on the pros and cons of the investment. Thank you.

·
Premium Member
343 Posts
Can it be run off a USB adapter plugged into the power outlet on my Voyager? The wind noise would need to be dealt with I guess with another mic behind the fairing I suppose. A very good report on the pros and cons of the investment. Thank you.
That's the exact set-up I use. Power comes from the standard power outlet and runs thru the lower fairing to the engine guard. I use the GoPro USB cable so it has a mic connection and power (at the same time). The mike is a small wired mike that I either connect to my cloth keyring or (if I want to talk) it can go on my collar. I then mount a GoPro remote on the left handlebar.

This shows the wiring thru the fairing and the mic connection location. Note that this is just a temp to make sure that the camera location would work. I will eventually hide the wires or put them into a surface mount on the top section of the lower fairing.

Test YouTube Video

·
Premium Member
775 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
@rick
I run with Memphis batwing. But it does not help with the wind on the mic all that much. But when the mic is inside full lid, no problem. I ran it with USB plugged in to the charge on the bike, yes, you can charge it. However in case of my GoPro4 Silver I can't charge and shoot at the same time. Either charge or shoot. But battery last longer than the available space on the 32gb card. So there is no problem with that. In the end I only shoot short clips instead running the camera all the time and then having to sift through gigabits and gigabits of useless footage.

Non the less I shot plenty video and edited it in Apple's FinalCut Pro. Ended up with some video reviews and other biking video material... But in the end I've never posted it. My English is very fluent, but I speak with an Eastern European accent. So I better not do a video blog after all. :( No one will like to listen to me talk.

If you want to have an incident cam that just keeps recording over and over relentlessly as you ride so you can show things to Lawyer or popo if something happens there is another cam available. It is called RoadHawk. I use it in my family cage. It records over and over at one minute shots on a large card, and it runs off 12v power outlet. I do not use it on my mule though.

@Kap
Awesome setup! And I like your bar mount much better then my cheap thing.

·
Premium Member
343 Posts
@DonR. Also a note on record time, I have a 64GB memory card and I get about 4 hours of record time with intermittent JPG screen shots (every 1 to 5 min depending on ride location).

My biggest issue is finding time to ride and medical issues that won't let me stay in the seat for hours.

·
Premium Member
775 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
do you record at 30 fps?

·
Premium Member
343 Posts
1080 at 30...

·
Registered
1,159 Posts
I have a Hero 2 and a 3+ Silver. The 3+ definitely has some nice features, but the 2 isn't bad. I use both, sometimes recording together. For those who are wondering but haven't seen it, GoPro has estimates for recording time and battery life based on different conditions and it seems to be pretty close to what I've gotten.
https://gopro.com/support/articles/hero3plus-recording-time-in-each-video-setting
http://gopro.com/support/articles/hero3plus-camera-battery-life

In addition to a remote, the 3s and 4s can be controlled by a free app. The app is a little glitchy, but does let you preview your shot so you know if you need to adjust the camera before shooting a bunch of video or taking a bunch of pictures of nothing. It also lets you change settings almost instantaneously instead of digging through a bunch of menus like I have to do on my 2. I'd say the app works at about 75-80% on my Galaxy S5.

As far as mounting options, be creative. Somewhere on the helmet is fine. Sometimes have it face backwards. Maybe use the suction cup and stick it to your riding partner's bike somewhere and film you. I stuck mine to a mirror once using the suction cup, but it was too heavy and I kept having to readjust the mirror so that was a one time thing.

Mirror:

Goldwing trunk:

There's also a chest mount that, while goofy looking, does get a pretty good shot.

Regardless, try to get creative with your mounting ideas and you may catch some interesting pictures:

·
Premium Member
775 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
@Graybush Yep. Some awesome shots you can do with GoPro. Really be creative about placing the camera.

Yes. I caught the Vlog bug. Everyone is a video producer these days. I am no different.
Here some of my reviews on micing and mounting GoPro. If you want to watch a blithering idiot (yours truly) talking on a camera.

NordicFlash bike mount for GoPro
https://youtu.be/hpp2tKwJoWs

Movo vs Sena (Sound quality)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G6V0Nn0irhg

GoPro + Sena Bluethooth pack + Sena headset
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uQEOrX4v52U

I might delete the videos though. Not sure my delivery is good enough for video blogging :(

·
Registered
814 Posts
Nah. Don't delete anything. Those videos are great - your voice is fine. Everything is really well done - enjoyed all your Vlog stuff. I think you just might not like all your protective gear in the deep south summer though. I can't handle it.

Also your Gopro review on here is excellent. Thanks.

·
Premium Member
343 Posts
I might delete the videos though. Not sure my delivery is good enough for video blogging :(
Blog away, these are great. I've already subscribed...

·
Premium Member
343 Posts
FYI, the USB connection on my GoPro Hero3 Black came loose this weekend. I was charging the camera while riding. This seems to be a common issue if you search the net. Seems the camera can't handle the USB being connected while in use as the USB is not mounted solid to the frame (it's just soldered to the printed circuit.

I made a the swap to a discounted Garmin Virb as the price was right and the camera can be easily controlled from the Zumo 390. So I can start and stop the camera right there from my GPS. It also comes on and off the bike with ease.

I paid $117, the price seems to be changing ever day...

Amazon Link

·
Premium Member
775 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Impressive camera, reading it's specifications it gives GoPro run for the money. Do not care much about the software it comes with I use FinalCut Pro, a powerful video editing studio, but the size of the camera is nice. GoPro is too big for side of the lid mount. Unfortunately it is 30 fps only. 60 would be better, matching the display refresh rate, smoother image. Does it take a wired mic?

Remote for GoPro is garbage, they use WiFi instead of low power Bluetooth, result: it still drains battery in less than two hours because it runs power gobbling WiFi if paired with remote, even if you turn the camera off (with remote). How dumb not to use Bluetooth for on/off. So GoPro is overpriced and shabby built quality, but it takes 1080p at 60 FPS. a must for me since my professional big Sony video camera does not go lower than that. I need video of a same frame rate when working in a project for best results.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts