Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hey, This is my first post on the forum and I thought I would talk about the luggage I just added to my bike. I have found allot of great information on this website but there was some things that I looked for that I could not find so I thought I would post this here in case someone was in the same boat.
My bike is a 2010 Vulcan 900 custom and I love it. It is lowered and has cobra pipes. It is my first bike and I have only been riding about 2 months now but I have logged 3K on her already. I will be embarking on a 9 day trip with the old man just cruisin the US so obviously I decided it was time to add some luggage. I decided on going with saddlebags and a sissy bar and bag.
About the saddlebags. I love the look of my bike without saddlebags so I decided I needed something that I could remove easily and would not leave any hardware behind so I went with the EASY BRACKETS. I am very happy with the EASY BRACKETS. You can install them in about 20 minutes, but if you want to do it right it will take a little longer. I have attached pics of the bike with and without the saddlebags on. At first I purchased some Jumbo Saddlemen Drifter Slant saddlebags. I liked everything about them, the straps lock and they hold their shape and have a nice leathery material. However for a long trip I would not recommend them as they are not that big. I ended up returning those and getting the Extra Jumbo’s.
The extra Jumbo’s do not come in a custom fitting so you will have an adjustable yolk on them, I took this off and filled the holes with some silicone that it was attached to the bag with. Then to attach the easy bracket panel to the bag you will need to drill 4 holes into the back of the bag using a 3/8” drill bit. The screws that come with the easy brackets though are obnoxiously long. I ended up cutting the screws down with a dremel. If you dremel on the 8th thread from the end of the screw (not from the head) this should be the perfect size. I also used some thread glue to make sure the nut is going to go anywhere while I’m riding. I put up some pics of the inside of the bag as well with some keys in there to help you see how big the bags look inside, I could not find any picks like this when I was looking online.
The next thing to do before attaching the “knobs” for the easy brackets was to first put on the sissy bar. I have attached pics of the easy bracket “knobs” with and without the sissy bar though for those would like to see. It is really nice not having to remove any hardware and the bags come nowhere close to touching the bike when they are on. I chose the Cobra short round sissy bar with pad. I am not sure how I feel about having a sissy bar on my bike, maybe it will grow on me :) but it will provide some much needed storage and make the girl feel safer back there. Anyway the screws that came with this sissy bar were not big enough with the easy bracket knobs being on as well. I ended up having to order some bolts off line (www.boltdepot.com) the size you will need is 8m X 1.25 X 70mm. Make sure they are socket bolts (chrome plated doesn’t hurt either). You will only need two for the fronts of the fenders, you can actually use the bolts the easy brackets came with for the rears of the fenders. If you go too far you will end up going into the metal of the bike, but these sizes worked great for me.
Once I got the sissy bar on the bag just slid right on, I will need to find a couple places to strap it down a bit better. I looked at a couple bags but ended up going with the Saddlemen BR3400 Back seat/Sissy Bar Bag. I am happy with this choice because it will definitely hold everything I need for the trip and it doesn’t look like I’m carrying a huge obnoxious thing on the back of the bike. I may not even need the saddle bags :)Well I hope this helps somebody out! Shout out to www.meancycles.com very easy ordering and sorting out things for my bike with competitive prices.

I have more pics but it looks like I can only post 5, tried to put the most helpful ones on here

Attachments

·
Registered
34 Posts
Fantastic Post!!
I am currently luggage-less on my 900 custom right now..... but need something for a trip I am planning in August. Lets hope I can get this here in time :)
Any more pictures you can supply would be great!

On another note..... I went with a National Cycle switchblade removable windshield... I love it, on and off in seconds..... not sure if you use on for trips..... but have you though about using lowers? I am looking now, because I still get some buffering with my windshield.

Anyway... great post!

Take care!
Dan

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
Hey Dan,
I just got back from my trip and the luggage held up great. I ended up using the sissy bar bag as well as the saddlebags. Even at highway speeds they did not even rattle. One note I will make about the sissy bar bag is that it needs to be strapped to the seat with some extra supports, otherwise it will slowly fall and rest on top of your break light. Other than that, everything worked great.

I am not sure what you mean about lowers. I will say though (probably way off base) when I bought my bike they had put a lowering kit on it. I just did the tail of the dragon (US 129, if you don't know it then you should) and the lowering kit was quite frustrating. I could go one direction fine on the road, but coming back my bike kept scraping the exhaust with every right turn. I am probably going to take it to the shop and have them reverse the lowering kit or raise the pipes. If I could get the bike again though I would not have it lowered.
If you are referring to fairings or anything like that I do not use one. I have a shorty helmet that I use mostly (I catch a bug now and then but its just part of the ride to me) and a full face I like to use when it starts raining. On the way home though the old man started hitting higherspeeds and I had to switch to the FF just to keept my head from snapping back (it cuts through the wind better).

I attahced some more pics, not sure what you were looking for.

Attachments

·
Registered
864 Posts
Hey G where did you go & how was your trip ?

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Hey Bulldozer,
The trip was great, I can honestly say I was not ready for it to end. We averaged about 310 miles a day, not allot if you do the interstates, but we did all back roads. It was just my dad and I, we started out in mid Maryland and road up through the mountains and into PA. From there we headed through West Virginia and Virginia and hopped on the Skyline Drive parkway and road all of that. The next day we did the Blue Ridge Parkway for about 320 miles before stopping for the night and then finished it up the next day ending in a Cherokee Indian reservation. We hit a pretty bad rainstorm that day and had to get out the rain gear. From there we went up and hit the tail of the dragon which was as great as every story I have heard. We rode it twice and then headed up to Knoxeville for the night. Then we hit up Nashville on music row the next day and had some fun there. The next day we headed to ashville NC and stopped by and did the tail of the dragon one more time. Then we visited some friends in Raliegh and headed back home. It was a great trip and I'm already thinking about the next one.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Hey G!
Thanks for your response, and I am glad your trip went well. Yeah my question about lowers was asking about the extension of a windshield. I Have heard people use them to stop some head buffeting. I don't have them, and don't think I will get them.

I am interested on your comments about lowering the bike. I purchased a lowering kit, but have not installed it. It has the option to lower 1 or 2 inches. How low is yours?

I found you post on luggage awesome. In fact, I ended up purchasing the exact same setup. The only thing that is different is the sissy bar. It is still a short cobra, but it has square polls rather than the round one. I have not installed any of it on thebike yet. Too busy building my fence :(

I am also planning a trip, hence why your post was very timely for me. I am in Canada, however will be doing some riding in Montana, then up throug Seattle to Vancouver, then home through the rocky mountains. About 1200 or so miles.

Thank for your response. I will post some pictures once I have the gear on the bike.

Take care.
Dan

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Hey Dan, that trip sounds like a great one. Are you going with anybody or just riding it alone? I think you will definitely be happy with the luggage. I thought I would mention a little trick I used with the sissy bar bag. I got a rubber strap from home depot about 1 1/2 ft long and about a quarter of an inch thick. I took out the metal clips and thread it through the bottom two D rings on the sissy bar bag. Then when I slid the bag onto the seat the strap rested on top of the seat. This made sure that the bag would not sink down lower any further that I wanted it to.
I also go a little krank strap and wrapped it fully around the bag and the seat and just made it as tight as possible. This helped to prevent any sliding as well and niether caused me any trouble when removing the bag off the seat.
I added the pictures of the rubber support below to help explain it a little better.
Make sure you post some pics when you get it all done. I would also like to hear about how riding in the rockies was when you get back, that sounds like something I might want to try at some point.

Attachments

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
oh yea, the lowering kit I belive they took it down 2 inches, I will have to measure to be sure. I purchased the bike that way so I have not had the opportunity to ride one that was not lowered.

While I definitely think it makes the bike look good, it was an honest pain when doing the fun riding (switchback turns, steep slopes). The exaughst wasn't really hurt but it did scrape constantly and one time caused my bike to slide a little. If I put a person on the back seat it is guaranteed to scrape on even the slightest of turns and hitting a pothole runs a risk of bottoming out.

I kind of compare it to those stretched out bikes. While the mods make them look real good, they are not the best for anything but highway riding.

I am not sure how dificult the lowering kit is to install but my recommendation would be find some roads you love, ride them without the kit. then maybe lower it an inch and see if you can still ride without any problems, then maybe go for two.

·
Megatron
181 Posts
I bought the same sissy bar bag you guys have last spring. I don't have a sissy bar or rear seat. In place of the rear seat I have a luggage rack. What I did was take some of the straps that came with the bag to the shoe repair guy and had them modified to suit my needs. (Cost $5.00) The bag is awesome and doesn't move an inch.
Next time I load the bike up for a trip I'll take some pictures and post them. All in all I think the Saddleman 3400 is a great bag for anyone.

·
Premium Member
443 Posts
I had K-Drive saddlebags on my Honda Shadow Sabre. They are supremely easy to put on and take off, and they can be locked on if desired. When you pull them off, the only sign that you are saddlebag-ready is a small chrome bar parallel to the rear fender.

·
Registered
30 Posts
1 - 11 of 11 Posts