Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
BOTM Winner, December 2013
1,172 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all,
My son has been granted a wish from the "children's wish foundation" similar to the make a wish , but Canadian.......
so we are off to Los Angeles on march 31 so he can meet Willie nelson and have him sing his favorite song "blue eyes cryin in the rain"

As I have never been there I would like to know of any Must see sights within an hrs drive of downtown .... the downtown Sheraton to be exact......lol I have already googled the closest "Popeye's chicken" gotta try that!........
So far my must sees are the LA Zoo, The aquarium of the pacific(long beach),the walk of fame, and the santa monica pier.

·
Registered
140 Posts
Griffith Park Observatory........Long Beach is kinda far considering traffic, but doable. How long you gonna be there? If awhile go for a cruise down Sunset Blvd. west to the beach and up Pacific Coast Highway a bit......nice drive and a lot of interesting sightseeing along the way............Chinatown is near you and Olvera Street for good food. Just be vigilant in any areas, as L.A. is a "different" place.....enjoy yourself and let us know how it goes. Oh yeah on Sunset and Gower is "Roscoes Chicken and Waffles"........homemade waffles and crispy fried chicken........world famous....yum. rosecoeschickenandwaffles.com

·
1,172 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I arrive at LAX @11am on the 31st of march.. and leave on the the morning of the 4th...hmm ive heard of roscoes before... may have to try it... ive never had chicken n' waffles before!

·
Lifetime Premium Bike Of The Fall Winner 2017
2,854 Posts
Had a layover at LAX once. I got to tell you customs in those foreign countries are brutal.

·
1,172 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
lol .... ya im looking forward to customs and airport security about as much as I look forward to having an infected tooth pulled......

·
1,172 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
........Long Beach is kinda far considering traffic, but doable.
really.. its only 25 miles.....cant be more than an hour in traffic......

·
Registered
7,620 Posts
Are you talking about the same LA traffic that's the butt of every prime-time comics jokes? Ha.

·
1,172 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
lol I've heard the jokes... but there must be times of the day when its reasonable.... ie I would not think of trying it between 4 and 6pm...

·
Registered
7,620 Posts
Ha. I've never been to LA either. California at all actually. I ought to get out that way before they break off and go hang out with hawaii! :p

·
1,172 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
so any more suggestions? anyone?

·
Registered
140 Posts
Yeah, but it depends what time of day.......LA is notorious for bumper to bumper traffic........try and find a early time to leave.....6-7am at the latest.

The good thing is you have some days worth of time to explore around... look up "The LaBrea Tar Pits" for an interesting outing.........For burgers look up Fat Burgers @fatburgers.com., or Tommys @originaltommys.com

·
1,172 Posts
Discussion Starter #12 (Edited)
lol ya.. at certain times of the day google maps shows it as 30 mins.... but currently showing 55 mins....I can see it being 1 1/2 - 2 hrs in rush hour...but since its probably going to be my lil fella's only chance to see an aquarium like that I will make the treck.... heck im even considering taking one whole day just to drive to san Diego to take him to seaworld....

·
Registered
1,231 Posts
A few years ago we took a group of 4 early 20's kids to see a game at the Rose Bowl and stayed in Pasadena which is close to Hollywood. We took most of one day starting at Mann's Chinese theater walk of fame which is close to the beginning of the interesting part of Sunset Blvd. Followed Sunset through all the places you would recognize, the Hollywood sing is close by, Rodeo Dr, Brentwood, All the way to the Coast Hwy. Turned left and followed it down the coast to the Santa Monica Pier where we ate a late lunch.

There are a lot more things on this route that you will recognize that I left out. Places where 60's TV shows were filmed, the theater they film the Jimmy Kimmel show in is across the street from Mann's. The views from the Coast Hwy are fantastic but not many places to stop and soak them in. At the pier you can take the little on down to the beach to put their toes in the Pacific.

By the way if you have a handicap hanger or sticker you can bring it will make your life a whole lot easier. Every body drives which means parking is hard to come by close to where you want to go

·
Registered
456 Posts
...heck im even considering taking one whole day just to drive to san Diego to take him to seaworld....
Don't bother with Seaworld -- it's just an expensive amusement park with a couple of large fishtanks and few rides. The San Diego Zoo is a better choice for the same price if you are going that way, and the Zoo Safari Park near Encinitas is pretty nice, too. BTW, you might want to look into a CityPass if you intend intensive sightseeing -- it's a good value if you want to take in a lot of things.

As for Roman's comment about CA joining HI, that's a common mistake. Coastal CA west of the fault is actually heading NORTH, and will one day be up near AK. Then when Sarah Palin looks off her porch she can see California instead of Russia. Not that she will know the difference.:D

1 - 14 of 14 Posts