Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Premium Member
864 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Almost went down today. Wasn't a huge deal, but I'm trying to figure out what happened.

I was slowing down. Leaned into a right hand turn to get into a Publix.

Next thing you know my rear wheel is sliding out of control. Kept the bike up, scared the crap out of a soccer mom in the process.

Here's the thing. It almost felt like the rear brakes 'Grabbed' on me. I just can't decide if that's actually what happened, or if the rear wheel just started to slide on some gravel and I may have instinctively hit the brakes.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Rear Wheel Locking

Do you have ABS?

·
Registered
170 Posts
Had the back brake on going thur a turn?That will do it.Turning into a business,a lot of times there is junk blown up against the side of the road you have to drive thur.Good tire?You should be able to drag the boards before the tire goes out

·
Registered
2,656 Posts
Always slow down before turning is my usual routine. Glad it didn't low side on you. I knew with a bike this heavy I was going to get ABS.

·
Registered
189 Posts
Had the back brake on going thur a turn?That will do it.Turning into a business,a lot of times there is junk blown up against the side of the road you have to drive thur.Good tire?You should be able to drag the boards before the tire goes out
Riding the back brake during slow speed turns is a very common and approved practice especially when used properly with the friction zone of the clutch and throttle.

Probably hit loose gravel or something slick and then reacted with greater pressure on the brake. That would be my guess as to what caused the "brake grab" feel. Of course if you really think it was a brake issue it wouldn't hurt to have them inspected.

·
Premium Member
864 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I think I've decided it probably was sand/gravel, and I overreacted with greater brake pressure.

Tire is a Commander 2 with less than 1,000 miles on it.

I've got to pick up my other bike from the shop this weekend. This one is due for servicing, so I'll just have them give it the old once over.

You know, it was the sort of thing I normally wouldn't mention - but it just 'felt' weird when it happened.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts