Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
338 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So, about 2 years ago when I first bought my 2008 VN900 LT, it would make a squealing sound which reminded me of the sound an old speedometer cable would make when needing to be greased.

Mechanic could never figure out what it was.

This past Sunday, while out on a long ride, it got worse. Way worse. Now it is this godawful screeching sound that really grates on me.

It only does it if I am in gear, and accelerating. If I have the clutch in, or in neutral, and throttle up, it doesn't do it. If I am in gear and coasting, it doesn't do it.

I suspect it is the front pulley. What do the rest of you think?

·
Registered
75 Posts
I have no idea, I have the same thing happening right now. Just started real bad after the winter, was only minor squeeling at the end of last year. I thought it might be a tight belt, but wasn't sure. Just got a new front pulley and belt deflection tool, I'll let you know how that goes.

If anyone else has thoughts I'm all ears as well.

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App

·
Registered
213 Posts
the belt comes to mind for me too. Have you checked your wheel alignment and belt tension?

Aside from that, the only other thing that I've read about on here making a screeching sound is the stator when they are going bad.

·
Registered
338 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I doubt it is the stator. I just had it replaced a few months ago.

No, I've not checked anything. I'm not mechanically inclined in the slightest. I'll drop it off at the mechanic and let him know these suggestions. :)

·
Registered
847 Posts
Noise

Three things come to mind. Do you have the stock rear pulley? The Stator could be bad even if new or something could have been misplaced during installation. It's not recommended but spray a little belt lube on the rear pulley and see if this changes anything. It won't hurt anything and will wear off easily and quickly.

·
Registered
338 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Yeah, I have a stock rear pulley. Stator is charging fine. I suppose it is possible, but it isn't making the normal "whir-whir" sound of a stator going out.

They actually make "belt lube"?

1 - 11 of 11 Posts