Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
143 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Woke up to -16* F and thought of this...

It's winter in Ohio
And the gentle breezes blow
Seventy mile an hour
At thirty-five below.

Oh how I love Ohio
When the snow's up to your butt
You take a breath of winter air
And your nose gets frozen shut.

Yes, the weather here is wonderful...

So I guess I'll hang around
I could never leave Ohio
Cause I'm frozen to the ground!

·
Premium Member
1,349 Posts
That's good. It made me laugh. Do what you can to keep warm.

·
Registered
245 Posts
Motorcycle poet

Great poem, I hope you will soon be writing about spring. It's a little cold here in West Texas but I guess I'll quit whining.

·
Registered
370 Posts
negative 16 today 55 on saturday O what fun

·
Registered
372 Posts
I was in Indiana and Ohio the weekend of 18 - 21st for my granddaughter's baptism. I was sure glad to get back to Arizona and that was during the "warm" spell. I thought the Air Force Museum was great. I wish I had more time to really take it in.

·
Registered
7,620 Posts
Broke above freezing today. Gah. Can't wait for spring. This past Sunday it got up to about 45 or 50 for the high, and the wife and I spent some quality on the bike time. I had a stomach bug and was throwing up... er... from both ends. But I wasn't about to not ride.

·
Registered
143 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Damn it was a bad day... -18*F this morning. We lost one of our goats. My daughters 2013 Grand Champion Dairy Goat. She's heart broken. The issue being the ground is so hard that I have to have someone come out with a mini excavator to dig a hole to bury her. Saddest part is that she was due for babies in April. We sat with her all morning in the barn just keeping her warm and comfortable.

I hate Ohio!

If anyone knows of registered ADGA Nubian Does for sale let us know cause my lil girl just lost her 4-h project to Acute sudden onset pneumonia.

·
Registered
456 Posts
As a former Buckeye (Wood County) I feel for 'ya. I think the cold you are getting now exceeds anything we experienced back in the day. I can only remember one VERY cold spell when it got to -19 one night when I was in HS, and leaving my girlfriend's house I reached for the chrome headlight switch on my dad's '57 Oldsmobile. When my fingers stuck to it I knew it was pretty cold.

And I don't want to hear any comments about wet fingers. That's none of your business.;)

·
Registered
243 Posts
This year has been the coldest I have experienced in my life (I'm 30), as they said it was the coldest it's been in 50 or so years. One morning it was -27 or so. I went to my car, finally got it started after prying open the door and my clutch didn't want to come back to me. My starter nearly got stuck when it finally started. I turned it off and went inside. Called my boss and worked from home. I am not a winter fan to say the least. The thing that really makes you wonder is that two summers ago it was around 50f nearly the entire time.

·
Registered
7,620 Posts
This year has been the coldest I have experienced in my life (I'm 30), as they said it was the coldest it's been in 50 or so years. One morning it was -27 or so. I went to my car, finally got it started after prying open the door and my clutch didn't want to come back to me. My starter nearly got stuck when it finally started. I turned it off and went inside. Called my boss and worked from home. I am not a winter fan to say the least. The thing that really makes you wonder is that two summers ago it was around 50f nearly the entire time.
I can remember temps (almost) this cold- but I cannot remember temps this cold this often for this long. Watching the Mississippi and Missouri rivers freeze all the way across, hearing about people driving cars across ponds. That's not the kind of stuff that happens in Missouri. If it DOES get that cold, it's for short, brisk periods. Not weeks on end. This has been a BRUTAL winter.

It's taken it's toll on the cars too. They are handling it fine but they sure don't like it. My clutch is a bit "off" and my transmission is very notchy in my Focus (and it's a 2014 with 5k miles!). Cranks slow in the morning too (thick oil!). Wife says her car has been taking forever to warm up. Yuck!

But, it looks to be practically over according to the long range forecast. 65!!!!!!!!!! in the forecast for next week.

·
Registered
243 Posts
I can remember temps (almost) this cold- but I cannot remember temps this cold this often for this long. Watching the Mississippi and Missouri rivers freeze all the way across, hearing about people driving cars across ponds. That's not the kind of stuff that happens in Missouri. If it DOES get that cold, it's for short, brisk periods. Not weeks on end. This has been a BRUTAL winter.

It's taken it's toll on the cars too. They are handling it fine but they sure don't like it. My clutch is a bit "off" and my transmission is very notchy in my Focus (and it's a 2014 with 5k miles!). Cranks slow in the morning too (thick oil!). Wife says her car has been taking forever to warm up. Yuck!

But, it looks to be practically over according to the long range forecast. 65!!!!!!!!!! in the forecast for next week.

Nearly 60 here next week too supposedly. I really hope that is the end of this winter nonsense! Time to get the salt off the roads and the patch crews out and running.

·
Premium Member
1,111 Posts
Made it up to 87 degrees today here in the Texas Hill Country near Austin, but a cool front coming in for the next two days, so back into the 70s. Will be out riding all day each day this weekend. :)

Good to hear it is warming up for all of you up there.

·
Registered
143 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Funniest damn thing though I was out in the garage one morning, the kids didnt have school due to wind chill, I pulled the choke on the bike and it started easier than my Dodge truck. It must be tired of winter too cause it wants out of the garage.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts