Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Premium Member
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Having come from a Burgman 650, and its easy access albeit non-lockable front "glove boxes", I'm happy to have the locks on the front boxes on my Voyager.

That said, however, am I the only one that finds it utterly ridiculous that I have to use the key EVERY time I want to open the darn things?

Why couldn't Kawasaki put something like these on the doors:

2X Push Button Latch Replacement Keys for Motorcycle Boat Door Gloveboxes Lock | eBay

From what I measured, those would fit from a diameter perspective, but those small handles are seemingly incompatible with the countersunk nature of the existing locks. That said, I'd consider a 3D printed filler ring to allow the lock to sit flush when used with the finger pull. I'm just not so kosher on with having to use a different key...

Style-wise perhaps these would be a better fit? More of a circular lock, without the finger pulls. That one mainly concerns me that opening while wearing gloves would be difficult.

Anyone swapped these out before? Thoughts?

·
Registered
324 Posts
It would be nice to have something like the latches you've shown. Because of having to use the key every time, I choose not to use them at all.

·
Premium Member
499 Posts
OP, I agree. I wish the latch was designed where you could open it without a key. Let me know if you find a solution.

·
Premium Member
1,127 Posts
Skidmark, if you get those latches in your first link, and they work, let us know!

·
Premium Member
1,707 Posts
Didn't someone in here last year replace theirs with push button latches?

·
Premium Member
499 Posts

·
Registered
3,887 Posts
A couple years go I saw a thread on here were he had extra keys made and cut the off just before they get wider and epoxied these into stereo knobs. He the left these in the locks when riding and removed when he parked. This way he was able to maintain the factory locks and had quick access to the contents when stopped at redlight or stop sign without digging in pockets for his keys. Will see if I can find link for it.

·
Registered
580 Posts
Having come from a Burgman 650, and its easy access albeit non-lockable front "glove boxes", I'm happy to have the locks on the front boxes on my Voyager.

That said, however, am I the only one that finds it utterly ridiculous that I have to use the key EVERY time I want to open the darn things?

Why couldn't Kawasaki put something like these on the doors:

2X Push Button Latch Replacement Keys for Motorcycle Boat Door Gloveboxes Lock | eBay

From what I measured, those would fit from a diameter perspective, but those small handles are seemingly incompatible with the countersunk nature of the existing locks. That said, I'd consider a 3D printed filler ring to allow the lock to sit flush when used with the finger pull. I'm just not so kosher on with having to use a different key...

Style-wise perhaps these would be a better fit? More of a circular lock, without the finger pulls. That one mainly concerns me that opening while wearing gloves would be difficult.

Anyone swapped these out before? Thoughts?
It definitely would have been nice to have something different with an unlocked option for sure. I have the ipod kit in the left side box and I figured since it's locked all the time anyways, that's where I put the switch to turn my fan on so I'm another one who doesn't use them unfortunately

·
Premium Member
499 Posts
A couple years go I saw a thread on here were he had extra keys made and cut the off just before they get wider and epoxied these into stereo knobs. He the left these in the locks when riding and removed when he parked. This way he was able to maintain the factory locks and had quick access to the contents when stopped at redlight or stop sign without digging in pockets for his keys. Will see if I can find link for it.
I was thinking about doing the same thing, or similar. I'll get a couple of keys made tomorrow. Thanks.

·
Premium Member
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I was thinking about doing the same thing, or similar. I'll get a couple of keys made tomorrow. Thanks.
Haha, that's actually a pretty interesting idea. I may try that!

I wonder if its worth throwing a couple of these on the ol' Bridgeport and milling a slot for the key?

Dash Knob Gun Barrel Style Chrome for Kenworth Peterbilt Freightliner Small Knob | eBay

I kinda think they'd look a little tacky on there... perhaps the RAM knobs are a little more the right style?

09 10 11 Dodge RAM Factory Stereo Radio Knobs 2pc | eBay

·
Premium Member
499 Posts
Haha, that's actually a pretty interesting idea. I may try that!

I wonder if its worth throwing a couple of these on the ol' Bridgeport and milling a slot for the key?

Dash Knob Gun Barrel Style Chrome for Kenworth Peterbilt Freightliner Small Knob | eBay

I kinda think they'd look a little tacky on there... perhaps the RAM knobs are a little more the right style?

09 10 11 Dodge RAM Factory Stereo Radio Knobs 2pc | eBay
The Ram radio knobs look ok but are a bit expensive. Let me know what you end up with. I'd like to get a 1/2" aluminum cylinder, about 1/2" tall and polish it.

·
Premium Member
499 Posts
This wasn't difficult at all. Cut the top part of the keys off, after measuring of course. Ordered aluminum knobs from Mouser Electronics, part# 45KN032. Positioned key in knob and tightened set screw. Because there wasn't much material for the set screw to bite against, I used some 3M 5200 fast drying silicone to fix the key to the knobs. I like the way it looks. Thought about painting the knobs black but not sure yet.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Yeah, that is the stuff! Love it. Even the type of knob looks right!

Where did you get your keys duplicated and how much did they cost? Waiting for my mopar knobs to arrive in the mail still and not sure where to buy extra keys. Just any Kawa dealer, bring my key code and they can dupe from that?

·
Registered
106 Posts
It would absolutely be nice if it was easy access and lockable but as we all know it isn't.

I too made "temp key knobs" for when I'm riding. Just did them today while the bike is down waiting for the return of the ECU from Ivan. Mine are similar to Glenn's.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
499 Posts
Yeah, that is the stuff! Love it. Even the type of knob looks right!

Where did you get your keys duplicated and how much did they cost? Waiting for my mopar knobs to arrive in the mail still and not sure where to buy extra keys. Just any Kawa dealer, bring my key code and they can dupe from that?
I had mine made at a locksmith. They were $4 each. I will get the name of the blank for you if needed. When I checked at a Kawasaki dealer, they told me they didn't make/sell keys.

·
Registered
670 Posts
I enjoy these cheap, useful mods thanks fellas, so have key blanks coming from the USA and knobs from China. The key blanks are available on Ebay for cheap Skidmark, free shipping in the USA. Here's a link to the ones I bought. Any locksmith will be able to cut them for you.

·
Premium Member
499 Posts
I enjoy these cheap, useful mods thanks fellas, so have key blanks coming from the USA and knobs from China. The key blanks are available on Ebay for cheap Skidmark, free shipping in the USA. Here's a link to the ones I bought. Any locksmith will be able to cut them for you.
These are the same blanks the locksmith used for mine.

1 - 20 of 34 Posts