Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I ride a vulcan 900, but my girlfriend is looking at getting her first bike this spring. She is looking at a looking at a ninja 250 because of her height. My only concern is if the 250 will be able to hold 80 for interstate rides up to 4 hours. I was thinking a ninja 500 might be more fitting. Does anyone have any advice or experience regarding the 250 or 500. Also she wants the sportbike style so a cruiser is out of the question.

·
Registered
4,477 Posts
Are you sure that she will be comfortable on a sport bike for extended (4 hour) rides? Typically that riding position isn't conducive to longer touring type rides...

·
Registered
702 Posts
Does she have any riding experience? Has she taken the MSF course? If not I would have her take the course and check out their bikes and go from there.

Like Bear says, several hours cruising on a small sport bike could be a lille rough on the body.

·
Registered
101 Posts
My wife had a ninja 250. It will do fine at 80 for extended periods. It's not really a sport bike either. Low seat and risers on the bars. I'm 220lbs and I rode the shit out of it. It's a perfect beginner bike!

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App

·
Registered
3,887 Posts
I understand the 2013 models are now 300 instead of 250. Boosted the low end a little. Supposed to be easier to ride at slower speeds and dont have to shift as much. I she is comfortable with the riding position, should be just fine.

·
Registered
4,477 Posts
Experience

My wife had a ninja 250. It will do fine at 80 for extended periods. It's not really a sport bike either. Low seat and risers on the bars. I'm 220lbs and I rode the shit out of it. It's a perfect beginner bike!

There you are. A happy user and with a positive recomendation!

Have your gal sit on one and try it out if at all possible. What fits 220 lb. guy may still not be ideal for every gal. Taking the MSF is always a great idea.

·
Registered
346 Posts
My first bike was ninja 250 10 years ago, I never knew how to ride before and never rode anything before that. i went to dealer and bought the bike without knowing i need to shift and all that.....so the dealer teach me how to ride about two hours and i rode home after.

it only took me about 4 month to get sick of it and way under power.
ninja 250 is not for highway speed at 80 and its pretty much the max speed you can go, and depends how heavy your gf is, i was 130lbs and ninja 250 go up about 75 almost 80mph. I say get ninja 600 at least, it will last a lot longer and will keep up on highway speed. and !!!! ninja 250 is way over price.....or ninja 300 too....
get a used ninja 600 you will be very pleased and a lot happier !!! Trust me....its my personal experience from ninja 250. Its a big bike wanna be but way under power.
at the end...its your call. happy hunting......one note, get a used one for her first bike.
she is going to drop it here and there when she first started.

·
Registered
1,122 Posts
i started on a ninja 250. and dont believe what people say about it being crap. i used to ride to the mountains around 2 hours and keep up with other riders. i used to get it up to 80 on a stock bike! im around 200lbs too. trust me, she will enjoy it. its better to have a bike where you can twist the throttle all the way, then a bike where you have to be very careful when turning the throttle

·
Registered
140 Posts
i started on a ninja 250. and dont believe what people say about it being crap. i used to ride to the mountains around 2 hours and keep up with other riders. i used to get it up to 80 on a stock bike! im around 200lbs too. trust me, she will enjoy it. its better to have a bike where you can twist the throttle all the way, then a bike where you have to be very careful when turning the throttle
this^^^^^^

a 250 Ninja will be fine in general, however ... while capable of holding it's own. It was never intended to be a highway super star. Good luck with semi's going by and God forbid wind.... I am guessing you only want to know IT CAN DO IT not that you normally ride like that because if you normally do and expect your girl to do that... no way my friend.... it will be a suck fest of "I don't like this"/// rightfully so... that bike was not a I- insert number bike...
as a great bike for a women... oh yea. I love my time on a borrowed one.. light, easy to handle, forgiving.... great for the test she will or did pass too!!
Good luck brother... My wife got her license, did the course of course but never did dig it... Sold her, 600 ninja and she gets on the back of my, well now Vulcan:D

·
Registered
607 Posts
My son has a Ninja 500 - it'll keep up with most anything. Got enough power to get you in trouble, nimble handling to get you out. I rode it a little before I got mine, riding position was just not my style. Even my son says about an hour in the saddle is about as long as he can go at one time and he is young, tall, skinny and athletic. Never been on a 250 so not sure how it would compare. Too bad the cruiser style is out, because the Vulcan 500 would be a perfect starter bike. I have no complaints whatsoever.

I second the recommendation to take the MSF course first.

·
Registered
101 Posts
I have done a ton of road racing in my day. Lots of 600's and Liter bikes. Granted I didn't take the lil' Ninja that could (250ex) to the race track; but I did top it out with a GPS in my pocket. 97mph with my big ass. One of the best qualities is that it's light. When my wife dropped hers she could pick it up. And she is light weight and 5ft 2..... For like 10 years it was the exact same bike. So getting parts is simple and cheap. We paid 900.00 for hers not running. Cleaned the carb and that was all it took. Rode it for a yr and sold it for 1850. It was a 2001 I believe. Great bike. Very easy to handle and extremely forgiving.

·
Premium Member
571 Posts
Well to the comment about sport bike riding position "not being conducive to a 4 hour ride", I say baloney. Or you are drinking some real interesting Koolaid.

I have had several sportbikes and have ridden all of them all day no problem and my current ride has been ridden on MANY long trips including 4000 miles one way in 6 days to Daytona Beach, Florida from here, with two 800 mile days. It is actually more comfortable than a cruiser in many respects. No stress whatsoever on the back. None. And there is infinitely more control over the bike and where it goes and how fast and how quickly. You can lean them all the way over and no sparks, unlike the typical cruiser that barely gets past 75 degrees without fireworks.

If your girlfriend wants the Ninja 250 I am all for it. A great bike, and it won't overpower her and she will feel way more in control than on any cruiser. No, she does not need a 500. Underpowered bikes teach the rider to use brakes properly in corners. You don't smash into them and then slam on the brakes, you ride into them at a speed that you can maintain all the way through without using the brakes at all.

·
Registered
365 Posts
My first bike was ninja 250 10 years ago, I never knew how to ride before and never rode anything before that. i went to dealer and bought the bike without knowing i need to shift and all that.....so the dealer teach me how to ride about two hours and i rode home after.

it only took me about 4 month to get sick of it and way under power.
ninja 250 is not for highway speed at 80 and its pretty much the max speed you can go, and depends how heavy your gf is, i was 130lbs and ninja 250 go up about 75 almost 80mph. I say get ninja 600 at least, it will last a lot longer and will keep up on highway speed. and !!!! ninja 250 is way over price.....or ninja 300 too....
get a used ninja 600 you will be very pleased and a lot happier !!! Trust me....its my personal experience from ninja 250. Its a big bike wanna be but way under power.
at the end...its your call. happy hunting......one note, get a used one for her first bike.
she is going to drop it here and there when she first started.
Yeah, every new female rider needs at least a 160 MPH bike so they can keep up with a Vulcan 900, haha.
A Ninja 250 should be an excellent beginner's complimentary bike to the Vulcan 900, are you sure a Vulcan 500 is off the table?
As far as cruising speeds, I'd say the Ninja 250 is almost as willing to cruise along at 80 MPH as the Vulcan 900 is. That said ,I sure wouldn't want to spend 4 hours on either one at 80 MPH.
Same goes for comfort. Whatever unholy voodoo you did to the 900 to make it comfortable for 4 hours, should also work on the Ninja 250. The best part of a 250 is that you'll always be able to sell it for 90-150% of what you paid for it, assuming you bought right.
I've test ridden the Rebel 250 and Virago 250, and owned a Honda VTR250 Interceptor and ridden a 250 Ninja and can attest that the 250 cruisers are nowhere near as worthy as the sportbikes.

·
Registered
4,477 Posts
Well to the comment about sport bike riding position "not being conducive to a 4 hour ride", I say baloney. Or you are drinking some real interesting Koolaid.

I have had several sportbikes and have ridden all of them all day no problem and my current ride has been ridden on MANY long trips including 4000 miles one way in 6 days to Daytona Beach, Florida from here, with two 800 mile days. It is actually more comfortable than a cruiser in many respects. No stress whatsoever on the back. None. And there is infinitely more control over the bike and where it goes and how fast and how quickly. You can lean them all the way over and no sparks, unlike the typical cruiser that barely gets past 75 degrees without fireworks.

If your girlfriend wants the Ninja 250 I am all for it. A great bike, and it won't overpower her and she will feel way more in control than on any cruiser. No, she does not need a 500. Underpowered bikes teach the rider to use brakes properly in corners. You don't smash into them and then slam on the brakes, you ride into them at a speed that you can maintain all the way through without using the brakes at all.
"Typically that riding position isn't conducive to longer touring type rides..." Is the complete quote. Interesting how you can twist things said by selective editing / quoting.

·
Registered
365 Posts
"Typically that riding position isn't conducive to longer touring type rides..." Is the complete quote. Interesting how you can twist things said by selective editing / quoting.
I don't think he meant that as a direct quote, rather a general statement reflecting the feeling of several members here that the riding position is "not conducive to a 4 hour ride".

Not sure about the newest 250 (or the 300, they are actually making BOTH at least for this year) but the riding position on the ones they built for 21 years 1986-2007 is a lot more like a scaled down Concours or FJR than it is like a ZX-whatever. I find one of the biggest advantages of a sport or standard bike, in terms of comfort, is that you can move around to relieve pain to keep on riding. On a cruiser typically you can move forward or back, stretch your arms and legs a little, but generally all your weight remains on your butt.

·
Banned
254 Posts
If the GF wants a Ninja 250, I think it's not wise to try to move her up to a bigger bike at first, let her pick out her own bike to ride, just encourage her to take a motorcycle safety course.

·
Premium Member
571 Posts
My, you are self absorbed and self centered, aren't you? Where did you get the idea I was talking about you? I never quoted anybody.

·
Registered
607 Posts
My, you are self absorbed and self centered, aren't you? Where did you get the idea I was talking about you? I never quoted anybody.
Not to cast any aspersions, but you did address a specific comment, in quotes, and he was the one who made the (misquoted) comment...

1 - 20 of 37 Posts