Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I love this bike so far. I've put in lots of miles since I got it last week. I'm riding every day and every chance I get. I think I'm really getting used to it.

The handle bars are fantastic. I love the bars on the custom. I'm adding the risers because they are just a little too low and far away for me.

I'm also going to add a swingarm bag. I think they look better than the big bags on the custom.

I'm starting to see what others were saying about the shifting pattern on this bike. It seems like I'm lugging the engine or revving it but having a hard time finding a nice place in between at a given speed. The engine really vibrates a bit at 75 on the highway in fifth gear. I find I always shift before that vibration happens when in lower gears. Should I be running it out into that range in lower gears to avoid lugging? I feel like i'd be getting into second gear around 30+mph if I do that and not into 4th until like 50. Does that sound right?

I've read that the manual is wrong so I'm confused. I'm not sure what it should actually sound or feel like and I'm at a bit of a loss.

Thanks!

·
Super Moderator
3,785 Posts
I felt as if I was lugging my bike also. It makes so much noise and vibration at higher revs. I tended to shift too early. Fully realized this when installed a Barons tachometer. Buy a tachometer, it makes a world of difference on when to shift and telling you what gear you are in.

·
Registered
284 Posts
By the manual shift from 1st to 2nd at 20 mph, 2nd to 3rd at 30 mph, 3rd to 4th at 40 mph, and 4th to 5th at 50 mph. This is were i tend to shift when cruising, if i feel like opening it up i go to 45 mph in first 65 mph in 2nd, i don't remember were you hit the rev limiter in 3rd but i think it is around 90 mph. If i am running semi-aggressively i push up the manual shift points by 5 to 10 mph. I have started from a stop in 3rd gear even, the engine has pretty good low in torque and manages well. If i rember correctly the manual down shifts are recommended 5mph below the up-shift speed.

·
Registered
915 Posts
On my Classic LT, I am often into 5th gear by 35-40, this assumes I'm taking it easy. Depending on how hard I'm accelerating, I'll delay shifting until higher speeds to rev the engine out more. I know the engine doesn't like hard acceleration at lower rpm, like 1500 or below. It seems to want at least 1800-2000 rpm for harder acceleration. I also have a tach, so I know the rev numbers.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts