Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I've taken the intro motorcycle riders course and learned how to go over obstacles (when you can't go around them) and it's pretty simple....except they never told us how to do it when you are riding a bike with foot forward pegs where it seems to me to be a bit more difficult to raise your body up as you go over the obstacle.

I have asked a few people and the response has always been "go slow...really slow". Is that the only option when riding on a foot forward peg'd bike?

·
Registered
3,895 Posts
I once hit a 2x4 laying across the highway one night going 70mph. The car ahead of me just straddled it and by the time I saw it, was to late to miss it. I just held on and rode right over it. Besides the pucker factor, all was good. I believe the best thing is dont panic and if you cant avoid it safely, to try hitting it as square as possible and give it the gas. Anything smaller than a medium size dog, you can usually drive right through.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Ok, cause the course teacher made just about as huge a deal about standing up as he did hitting it square on.

Now that I think about it pretty much any bike that has foot forward pegs are gonna have a suspension that can deal with minor bumps like speed bumps and whatnot without launching you head over rear. I was just concerned.

·
Registered
3,895 Posts
Unless your controls are so far forward your legs are almost straight you'll still be able to lift yourself some. This doesnt mean you can ride through a mine field carefree. Suggest slowing if you can, but once you know you are hitting it, crank on the throttle and try to be as upright as possible. My brother and a couple other friends were on the interstate and 2 of them hit a pothole, my sister inlaw almost cleared the trunk on my brothers Ultra Glide.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I think my biggest concern is going over speed bumps. I just can't picture going over large bumps like that, even slowly, with foot forward pedals that doesn't make you fly out the seat.

·
Registered
3,895 Posts
Speed bumps are no issue. Even when I had my 800 lowered 1 1/2" I cleared them all easily, except on one big one in particular, the frame bottom out, but was no danger of loosing it.

·
Registered
126 Posts
Ok, cause the course teacher made just about as huge a deal about standing up as he did hitting it square on.

Now that I think about it pretty much any bike that has foot forward pegs are gonna have a suspension that can deal with minor bumps like speed bumps and whatnot without launching you head over rear. I was just concerned.
he wasn't wrong, the fact is you're choosing to increase your risk riding that style bike. For exactly that reason. It's all a compromise. Hitting things on any bike is always going to be dangerous, and the likelihood of surviving unscathed is always going to be small. You're just giving up a little more to have a style you like.

·
Registered
99 Posts
Slow down as much as possible before you get to the obstacle, and change your lane position if at all possible (if you see it in time). If you have to go over it, be sure to be off the brakes by the time your tire is at it and give a bit of throttle to get over.

Something the size of a 2x4 I don't think I'd stand on the pegs for (I'd rather have as many points of contact to the bike as possible), but for larger pot holes or bumps standing up should help take some of the hit away from the bike (your legs are essentially another set of springs at that point).

The main thing with emergency manoeuvres (and riding in general really) is be smooth, nothing jerky or panicked, which can be a challenge at times!

Joel

·
Premium Member
864 Posts
If you have to go over it, be sure to be off the brakes by the time your tire is at it and give a bit of throttle to get over.
This is good advice. You don't want to hit the obstacle hard, and react without thinking by jamming down on the front brake...

·
Registered
142 Posts
The reason for standing is to lower the center of gravity through your legs to the pegs. Things that are top heavy tend to fall over more easily.

For that .5 second you have to treat it like a dirt bike.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Again, thank you all for the tips and advice. I am really excited for when I get to bring home my first motorcycle and just want to get all as much advice and tips as I can before that happens so I can have a great time but also be as safe as possible.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts