Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anybody had to replace the generator gasket?I have replaced the generator gasket three times...and I still can't get it to stop leaking oil?If I had any hair I'd yank it out.....I would appreciate any help....it's on a 900 custom

·
Premium Member
1,130 Posts
Has anybody had to replace the generator gasket?I have replaced the generator gasket three times...and I still can't get it to stop leaking oil?If I had any hair I'd yank it out.....I would appreciate any help....it's on a 900 custom
Did you replace the gasket the first time because the cover was leaking? Were the bolts loose? Did it just start leaking or has it just gotten progressively worse over time? Can you see enough of the cover-case interface (without a new gasket) to be sure the cover is making up tight to the case? Perhaps the dowel pins are not going all the way into the holes. Also check the cover for cracks. When you pulled the cover off the last time did you inspect the gasket to see if there are signs the cover is not making an even impression on the gasket all the way around? Lay the cover on a perfectly flat surface and look for gaps. Take a steel ruler and check across the mating surfaces of the engine case to alternator cover. Cover the gasket with silicone sealant the next time. The torque spec. is 87 in.-lbs which isn't very much. These are suggestions and guesses but I think you can see where I'm going with this. Good luck

1 - 2 of 2 Posts