Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
got a 05 1500 vulcan changed from vance and hines straight pipes to stock exhaust now the engine sounds noisier do you think heavier oil would help only has 8500 miles

·
Premium Member
3,146 Posts
Probably because you can hear it now. These engines are notoriously noisy.

·
Premium Member
3,146 Posts
No. By noisy, do you mean clattery? You're sitting right on top of the cam chains and valves. My '04 classic has made that noise since day one.

If it's a slapping sound, it could be loose cam chains, but at 8500 miles I doubt it. usually cam chains don't stretch that much until 30-40k miles.

·
Registered
357 Posts
All engines make noise. With a motorcycle you sit on top (more or less) of the engine so you hear a lot of the noise. If you had loud exhaust on before, the sound of that probably covered up the engine noise.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Got a 2008 vulcan 1500 classic with 110,000 miles on it and never had problems. Just change oil and brakes, regular maintenance. The engine is noisy but it runs well.

·
BOTM Winner, May 2015
740 Posts
wear a helmet, and then take the helmet off and ride, sounds like the bike is coming apart... The louder Muffler covered this up.. things is you will have to re learn what is normal and what you need to be worried about!

·
BOTM Winner, May 2015
740 Posts
10-40 is also a heavier weight oil, than 20-50

·
BOTM Winner, May 2015
740 Posts

·
Registered
3,897 Posts
Unless you are in a really warm-hot climate, I would stick with 10-40 because it'll reach the top end quicker on cold starts. As for the clatters and ticking, if not harsh, would believe they are normal.

·
BOTM Winner, May 2015
740 Posts
1 - 12 of 12 Posts