Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
222 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi Folks:

Looking 'model year' advice on Voyager 1700's. I'm thinking about buying a used 2010 ~2015 Voyager. I've read that heat management was a problem with earlier Voyagers and I believe there's a kit that can be added that mimic the later Kawasaki fix. Are there other design difference that would make a later model Voyager much more desirable than an earlier model if they both had similar mileage and were in similar shape? Are there issues to look out for with earlier or later models? Thanks for any advice.

·
Registered
59 Posts
Hey,

I just got brand new 2015 10 days ago, and while I may not have all the answers I can tell you that the "heat issue" is still there.
My temp gauge stays anywhere between 1 to 2 bars from the H mark in slow speeds.
I just did 1000km ride on Sunday and due to the colder weather and the speed, the heat gauge stayed below half mark, so it is not bad all the time.

When I was looking for the advice on the Vulcan before I bought it, people on this forum recommended Ivan's ECU re-flash for the bike.
This will fix and correct many "issues".
I haven't done it yet, but I am planning to, after the riding season ends here.

Here is the link: Ivan's Performance Products

Have a good one.

·
Registered
2,656 Posts
Hey,

I just got brand new 2015 10 days ago, and while I may not have all the answers I can tell you that the "heat issue" is still there.
My temp gauge stays anywhere between 1 to 2 bars from the H mark in slow speeds.
I just did 1000km ride on Sunday and due to the colder weather and the speed, the heat gauge stayed below half mark, so it is not bad all the time.

When I was looking for the advice on the Vulcan before I bought it, people on this forum recommended Ivan's ECU re-flash for the bike.
This will fix and correct many "issues".
I haven't done it yet, but I am planning to, after the riding season ends here.

Here is the link: Ivan's Performance Products

Have a good one.
If what you describe doesn't affect performance , it is not an issue.

The heat issue most have with the voyager is a rider comfort issue. Too damn hot to ride slow during the summer. It doesn't generate any more heat than the Nomads, but all the fairings keep the heat longer.

·
Registered
2,656 Posts
Hi Folks:

Looking 'model year' advice on Voyager 1700's. I'm thinking about buying a used 2010 ~2015 Voyager. I've read that heat management was a problem with earlier Voyagers and I believe there's a kit that can be added that mimic the later Kawasaki fix. Are there other design difference that would make a later model Voyager much more desirable than an earlier model if they both had similar mileage and were in similar shape? Are there issues to look out for with earlier or later models? Thanks for any advice.
The KAMS was created to improve rider comfort my moving the heat from the radiator and rear exhaust head away from the rider. The unintended result from the KAMS install was that the engine runs a little hotter.

There was nothing about the '12 and later Voyagers that called me to trade my '10 in on one.

Find a bargain, buy it, and make it your own with the money saved.

I never added the KAMS on mine because I rarely rode in traffic, and had other bikes to ride in the heat of summer.

·
Registered
160 Posts
Don't let the lack of the KAMS on the pre 2012 Voyagers stop you from buying one. I have a 2011 and the 2 biggest things I did for heat management were to wrap the pipes and added a heat shield that covers the gap between the tank and seat helping to deflect the heat from rising straight up and cooking me.

Hi Folks:

·
Registered
580 Posts
If what you describe doesn't affect performance , it is not an issue.

The heat issue most have with the voyager is a rider comfort issue. Too damn hot to ride slow during the summer. It doesn't generate any more heat than the Nomads, but all the fairings keep the heat longer.
When the temp gets up high enough for the fan to kick in it actually retards the ignition a certain amount which definitely does affect performance. There are things that can be done tho, such as adding a manual fan switch, header wrap, Ivan's ECU flash, etc which other people have mentioned.

·
Registered
2,656 Posts
When the temp gets up high enough for the fan to kick in it actually retards the ignition a certain amount which definitely does affect performance. There are things that can be done tho, such as adding a manual fan switch, header wrap, Ivan's ECU flash, etc which other people have mentioned.
My fan only came on when sitting at an extremely long light. The fan would bring the temp down and shut off. Never had the fan run while riding, so never a performance issue.

Starting to sound like the '09-'11 bikes are the desirable ones to own, unless you ride in traffic all the time.

·
Registered
5 Posts
I have a '14 and heat still an issue. Always running in the top half of gauge. And performance does drop off when it gets high. I've added a BAK and Vance & Hines pipes and it does run alot cooler now.

·
Registered
226 Posts
Not much difference between 2009 and 2010 models, 2011 models got some transmission improvements (less whine and easier shifting), 2012 got the air management system and GPS interface with the radio, 2013 and on I think no further changes except color.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I've had a 2010 Voyager (no KAMS) for 3 years. Like you, when I bought it I thought I would add KAMS. After talking to later Voyager riders I didn't feel it was worth the money. Riding "any" motorcycle when it is hot in stop/go traffic is hot. I do wish that I would have opted for the bike with ABS. Mine does not have it and I always need to keep that in mind in low traction situations. BTW, I love my Voyager.

·
Premium Member
1,707 Posts
2011 models got some transmission improvements (less whine and easier shifting)
Must have missed my 2011........ clunky shift and all the whine you can handle......

Wrap your pipes..... best thing you can do....

I did the fan switch add on... it is only a very slight improvement in stop and gop traffic, but no difference out on the highway. The engine temp normally stays a smidgen over the half way mark doing highway speeds for me. In slow stop and go traffic however.... its just a slight improvement. Stays a needle width past half way.

By the way the wire to connect to 12 volts through a relay is blue with a white stripe on mine. Like Ray said in his post on how to install a fan switch.

See here: Kawasaki Vulcan Forum : Vulcan Forums > Motorcycle Models > Vulcan 1700 > Ok OK OK...fan switch wiring info

I wrapped the pipes the first week I had it. I bought it in July 2011 in Las Vegas Nevada on a 120 degree day.... It was so hot I would not even ride it from inside the store to my parked truck with trailer. I made them do it.

I wrapped the pipes a couple days later. I did not live in Las Vegas, where I lived the temps were around 95. It made a huge difference for my right leg. Ever since then even in traffic my legs have not fried since. I doubt if the ECU flash makes much difference, it just turns the fan on at 200 degrees. Even with the fan running all the time from the start, it does help but eventually temp will still go over half way on the gauge in a lot of traffic. Even at that mine has never gone past the second mark past the halfway mark. Not all models have the same style temp gauge. But my legs are not cooking anymore....

I also plan on getting Ivans flash on the ECU someday. But I have been thinking of getting a different scoot lately after over 5 years with this one. But it still will take me at least 5 more years to do it.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts