Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello Vulcan People....I recently inherited a 2004 Vulcan Classic 1500. My riding buddy(Brother) suddenly and sadly passed away in March 2020. I recently took possession of the bike. I have an inquiring mind so I started looking at videos involving the Vulcans. I keep hearing horror stories about a POG.....and and output shaft bearing along with something about 2nd gear. Could someone please give me an overview or summary of the reliability of this bike and some common problems? Have the POG and bearing problems been corrected by the factory by 2004? What are some of the other issues know with these bike. The bike only has a little less than 9000 miles on it....it has a custom paint job.....its a beautiful bike that I will never get rid of no matter what issues arise. My brother and I didn't ride our bikes much as work wouldn't allow it....but we did have some great rides together...and I just want to know if I can ride it or should I park it and just keep it looking good.

Thanks in advance
Tony

120195408_10158787373275987_4990039459412200527_n.jpg

·
Super Moderator
2,435 Posts
Welcome to the forum from North Carolina. Great that you decided to join us. Sorry to hear about your brother. Lost mine when he was 40 and still 30 years later still miss him. Your bike has a steel gear. They went to steel in 2000 if I remember right. Your model is not plagued by any glaring issues. Any model will last with the proper maintenance. As far as the output shaft bearing, with only 9000 miles would not think about it. Have attached a Google search for the POG and the bearing for more reading. Thanks again for becoming a member of the forum. Go and ride your brother’s bike and think of him fondly. Our lost loved ones are always alive in our memories. Be well and Ride Safely.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Welcome to the forum from North Carolina. Great that you decided to join us. Sorry to hear about your brother. Lost mine when he was 40 and still 30 years later still miss him. Your bike has a steel gear. They went to steel in 2000 if I remember right. Your model is not plagued by any glaring issues. Any model will last with the proper maintenance. As far as the output shaft bearing, with only 9000 miles would not think about it. Have attached a Google search for the POG and the bearing for more reading. Thanks again for becoming a member of the forum. Go and ride your brother’s bike and think of him fondly. Our lost loved ones are always alive in our memories. Be well and Ride Safely.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thank you for responding....and the kind words. You have made my day with the info. I really do love this bike....we would swap bikes from time to time while we were out riding and I was always impressed with it's handling. This is the second bike I have inherited from family members....the first was a 1979 KZ 750 twin my Dad gave me back in 1983 when he injured his back and could no longer ride. I rode that bike for over 20 years until it was stolen.
I will definitely ride this bike and remember all the good times we had. My other bike is a Honda Sabre 1100 2002...with 16582 miles on it. That said....I don't think I will mind letting her sit for a bit while I ride the Vulcan.

Tony

·
Registered
2020 Kawasaki Vulcan S, 2020 Kawasaki Z900
133 Posts
Welcome from Pennsylvania. Sorry for your loss, but pretty cool that you have something so cool to remember him by. It may not make up for losing him but it's great that a piece of his life can live on, best wishes sorting everything out.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Welcome from Pennsylvania. Sorry for your loss, but pretty cool that you have something so cool to remember him by. It may not make up for losing him but it's great that a piece of his life can live on, best wishes sorting everything out.
Thank you....it was his pride and joy...he couldn't have left it in better hands.

·
Registered
'05 800B
1,464 Posts
a 2004 Vulcan Classic 1500. I keep hearing horror stories about a POG

and output shaft bearing along with something about 2nd gear. Could someone please give me an overview or summary of the reliability of this bike and some common problems?

What are some of the other issues know with these bike.
2004 1500 has steel oil gear, so no Plastic Gear
reliability of your bike is very reliable with No known problems whatsoever and no other issues
Just grease bearings and lube cables, grease drive shaft spline, final gear oil change, engine oil / filter changes, rad and brake fluid changes, you're good to go, just your regular maintenance stuff is all it needs

Reactions: Tonyace_121

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
2004 1500 has steel oil gear, so no Plastic Gear
reliability of your bike is very reliable with No known problems whatsoever and no other issues
Just grease bearings and lube cables, grease drive shaft spline, final gear oil change, engine oil / filter changes, rad and brake fluid changes, you're good to go, just your regular maintenance stuff is all it needs
Thanks for the reply. Sounds like regular maint. will keep this bike running good. :)

·
Super Moderator
720 Posts
Welcome from Atlantic Canada. Sorry to hear about your brother. You inherited a beautiful bike and as the others have said, with proper maintenance it will last a long time. I've heard several stories of these bikes racking up over 100,000 miles with proper care so yours is just broken in.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Welcome from Atlantic Canada. Sorry to hear about your brother. You inherited a beautiful bike and as the others have said, with proper maintenance it will last a long time. I've heard several stories of these bikes racking up over 100,000 miles with proper care so yours is just broken in.
Thank you. I'm looking forward to spending time with this bike. We have a pretty good riding season here in Alabama. :)

1 - 10 of 10 Posts