Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My2013 Vaquero came with a Mustang 2up seat. It makes me sit a little higher than I want (seat is comfy though). I was curious as to everyone’s thoughts on the Kawasaki gel seat? Also, someone told me that I would need a different mounting bracket? Is that true? All opinions and help is truly appreciated

·
Registered
154 Posts
I put a Mustang on my prior bike and it was great for me. I bought the Kawasaki Tour Gel seat when I bought my Voyager new....dealer gave me 30% off any Kawasaki accessories (buying in January is great!) so it was very affordable. It is fine for 100 mile days. I added an Air Hawk and it is good for 400 miles days. It does raise you up 1/2 inch maybe over OEM seat (that I rode on for while before the gel seat arrived). I also have a Bakup backrest which I reallly like.

·
Registered
80 Posts
I had a mustang seat on my old V star 950 and could not go more than 1 hour and my ass started to get sore. I just bought a voyager 1700 in Dec and started riding it about 2 weeks ago and have put 1200Kms on it already with a few 3-4 hour drives with the Gel seat and i have not had any discomfort yet.

·
Registered
154 Posts
I have this same question, got a trip planed to the upper UP end of July and was looking at the Air Hawk and was not sure what was best. I still run stock seat and only bothers me after 200 mile days.
400 mile days with the Air Hawk pad are not a problem for me.

·
Registered
27 Posts
My2013 Vaquero came with a Mustang 2up seat. It makes me sit a little higher than I want (seat is comfy though). I was curious as to everyone’s thoughts on the Kawasaki gel seat? Also, someone told me that I would need a different mounting bracket? Is that true? All opinions and help is truly appreciated
Obviously this comment should come with the caveat that YMMV, but I have tried a lot of seats. This won't answer your question directly, but I had a 900 and the stock seat was horrible. I tried an airhawk....and the results were better, but not great.
Stock seat for me = 30 minutes max before my lower back and tailbone was sore. Airhawk gave me maybe 90 minutes to two hours before soreness. But, even with minimal air, I did not like the feeling of floating on the seat. Especially around corners, you could feel the air moving under you. I personally did not like that feeling, almost like I was "disconnected" from the bike, somehow.

I then got a saddleman and the results were better still...not great, but better. I always felt like I sat ON the airhawk, but IN the saddleman. It gave me more comfort, but on longer days, the numbness was there.

I like taking long trips, so a great seat is important. I then got rid of the saddleman, and got a Corbin. Hands down the best seat I have tried. 6 to 8 hours a day were never an issue.

I had a mustang seat in the past also, and while comfortable to sit on, I did not like how it felt like it moved me up and closer to the controls.... this negated the comfort advantages (at least for me).

On my Vaquero, it came with a Corbin. Although the previous owner told me he had the foam re-worked a bit. I am not sure what exactly he had done, or how it is different than the Corbin from the factory, but it is perfect. The most I have done in a day is about 500kms. Maybe 9 to 10 hours or so.

The stock seat felt higher (as I have sat on a vaquero with stock seat). I like the way the Corbin feels and the riding position. This will depend on your height and inseam for sure.

I have a riding buddy with a VTX1300 and he has an Ultimate seat. I have tried it. It too is great, but I don't have anything to compare it to on his bike, as far as the stock seat goes. He swears by it, but it is pricey. I guess, depending on how important seat comfort is, how much you ride, what type of riding you do, (and your budget), price may not be an issue.

Unfortunately, I don't think there is a one-size-fits-all solution for seats.

But I can say that Corbin is 2 for 2 for me, as I am on my second and both times have been impressed.

As far as the Kawi gel seat, I can only tell you what others have said - it is hit or miss as far as comfort level goes. I have sat on one, but not ridden on it. It feels remarkably similar to the saddleman...

As most find out (not all of course, but most), the stock seats on many bikes are horrid. It would be nice if there were "try before you buy" options!

Worth noting, at least in my experience, every seat used the stock bracket....

Good luck with whatever you decide on!

Matt

·
Registered
201 Posts
One thing HD has done is really helpful: "Demo Seats". You sign out a seat and test ride it, before you buy. I tried a couple of seats for my Road Glide, but settled on the " Sundowner". Just wish they offered aftermarket saddles to test ride. I did find only one Japanese bike dealer that offered a demo. It was a Mustang for a Voyager, but I had already decided to buy a Mustang from a guy who traded off his Voyager. He only had it a week, before deciding to trade for an Indian Chief. Got it for 1/2 price ( no need to test ride for that kind of deal!)

·
Registered
201 Posts
I remember a guy from the 1970's who custom built a seat for Gold Wing riders. He actually had you come to his shop and sit in a mold of some sort. He then cut some high quality foam to that measurement, and made a custom seat for each individual rider. You could choose your upholstery for it, too. I think it was "Diamond Saddles" of Council Bluffs, Iowa? Needless to say, when Honda came out with the 1500 in 1988, allot of these folks had a real dilemma on their hands! ( a 1200 saddle wouldn't fit a 1500)

·
Registered
201 Posts
A few year back, I found a guy who would rebuild your existing seat with a gel insert. He would remove the cover, cut out a layer of your existing foam, and insert a gel-pack. Sent the seat to California and got it back in a week. He did a nice job, but I personally didn't find it much better, for long trips. I don't think I would go with a gel seat, again. I've had good luck with Mustang, but you have to get used to the denser foam they use. I had Corbin's too, same thing - they are stiffer, but support you better on long rides. A lot of people don't like Corbins, but when you break them in, they work okay. I think your Mustang is a good deal, if it came with the bike. They can be pricey!
I currently have a Mustang and the stock saddle. I bought an extra mounting bracket, so I can interchange seats, depending on my expected riding conditions. Extra bracket only cost $30. That's my experience, anyway.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts