1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

·
Registered
171 Posts
I had a gel pad installed on my stock seat on my Suzuki (before I got the Kaw). Took the pad to a local car upholstery place and they did all the work. Just make certain that you put something between the pad and the vinyl/leather on the seat, that pad will warm up in the sun if not covered with a little foam padding.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Just make certain that you put something between the pad and the vinyl/leather on the seat, that pad will warm up in the sun if not covered with a little foam padding.
The ebay kit comes with 2 different types of foam that goes over the gel pad, I can definatly understand why, thanx.

I think I'm going to attemp the install myself, but I will look into local upolstry shops to check out prices.

·
Registered
156 Posts
I would consider a cover for the seat even if installed under the foam. I have saddleman solo with a gel pad, which is under a layer of foam, and i f i dont throw my hoodie over it at lunchtime, when i leave at the end of the day, my arse is on FIRE!!!! and I have 35 miles to go to my second job, not fun. as much as I love my saddleman ( i can literally ride all day long on that thing, have done over 400 miles with no problems) come this winter, im selling it and getting a Mustang daytripper. i just cant take the hassle of the gelpad anymore.

·
Registered
719 Posts
I've been wanting to tinker with my stock seat but never seem to get motivated. It seems relatively easy and I have an upholstery shop 1/4 mile away if I screw up. I may have check fleabay now that I'm laid up in a hard neck collar with nothing to do...if the wife will let me in the garage.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
After talking with a buttbuffer rep, I'm impressed with thier product & it's advantages over a gel pad. I'm going to get it installed into the seat by them, only an hour ride away with hour turn around time.

It's a silicone and latex free medical grade product called visco elastic polymer, which is superior to a gel. Polymer is a solid material with extensive viscosity, so it will not leak, freeze, burn, or break down. It doesn't hold heat like the gel pads which made up my mind, lol!

Buttbuffer qualities:

Shock-absorbing
Supports weight without bottoming out
Evenly distributes weight
hypoallergenic
Remains pliable from -65F to 285F
Heat and shear reducing
Can be cut into any shape or form
Vibration damping
Won’t leak, flow or bottom out
Fire rated as self-extinguishing
Latex, silicon and plasticizer free
Does not support bacterial growth
Does not harden over time
Retains it’s original shape after deformation
Easily cleaned

All ButtBuffer seats have a lifetime warranty on our polymer. We guarantee it will never break down, compress, liquefy, freeze or harden.

·
Registered
171 Posts
Hami after reading this I ordered an Air Hawk (air filled seat). It goes over the original seat. I've had the gel seat and although it was nice and soft, it was hot and in the summer real hot. Going to give this one a try before I dive into anything more expensive. Got the Air Hawk for $98 inclucing shipping off eBay. It has individual airbags in the cushion to allow air flow. I will have to admit though, I never had a problem sitting on the oem seat, but then I'm only good for 100 miles or so between breaks.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I don't want to use something that goes on top of the seat, airhawk looks like a great product but it will raise your ride height which is something I don't want.

The buttbuffer rep stated that their product doesn't retain heat like a gel pad does, I'm going to test this myself when I get there hopefully it's nice & sunny out. Thier price for just the pad is $100 & $80 to install right into the seat.

·
Registered
20 Posts
gel-air hawk

I had my factory seat installed with the gel for under 70 bucks and they sculpted it out like a mustang, however it is hot and not as comfortable as the air hawk. As a side note, if you use the hawk properly it does not raise your height at all. Fill with air, sit on it, release the pressure until you just feel the seat. the hawk distributes your pressure over the entire area not just your tail bone and no extra height.

·
Registered
111 Posts
I had my seat rebuilt with memory foam and it doubled the distance i could ride with out pain . I went from 50 to 100 miles before the pain. That was not good enough so i bought a Airhawk and found that i could put 257 plus miles before any discomfort. I got my med. Airhawk from RL Motorcycles for $129.00 with free shipping.

Attachments

·
Registered
171 Posts
Update on the Airhawk that I just bought. Used it this weekend and it worked very well. I found that using the smallest amout of air as they recommend worked the best as far as ride position. It does sit you up a little higher but the ride was very nice. About 200 miles with only a short stop and no sore butt.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts