Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Premium Member
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anyone had experience with having some gel inserted into a Voyager heated seat? I am considering doing so. The heated seat came with the bike which was a demo, so it was not something I would have ordered on my own.

The local leather shop says they can insert the gel, but will not guarantee that the seat will work afterwords. Something about the wires being too thin.

Any thoughts on the mater?

P.S. another trivial post of mine born our of -9 degrees temperature.

·
Premium Member
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Indeed I would, but I am being careful. I do not want the road salt to damage my chrome.....lol

·
Registered
48 Posts
Has anyone had experience with having some gel inserted into a Voyager heated seat? I am considering doing so. The heated seat came with the bike which was a demo, so it was not something I would have ordered on my own.

The local leather shop says they can insert the gel, but will not guarantee that the seat will work afterwords. Something about the wires being too thin.

Any thoughts on the mater?

P.S. another trivial post of mine born our of -9 degrees temperature.
I bought the Kawasaki gel seat and I think it is worse than the stock seat. I used the gel seat pan as a base for my Russel DayLong saddle. The DayLong is without a doubt the best seat I have ever had on a bike. It truly is good for all day. I've done 500 miles with no issue except my old bones complaining, not my butt. Any other seat I've had (Mustang, stock Kawasaki and Yamaha) required regular doses of Ibuprophen to stay in the saddle that long.

·
Registered
2,656 Posts
I just put a sheepskin pelt on the seat. Works for me. Doesn't affect the heat, just takes a little longer to reach me.

·
Registered
2,221 Posts
I just put a sheepskin pelt on the seat. Works for me. Doesn't affect the heat, just takes a little longer to reach me.
TWA,

I just got a pelt for mine.
Mainly to combat Monkey Butt on longer trips.

I know you're a big proponent of em; so I thought you might have some suggestions.

I find that the backside is stiff and can crease up causing an uncomfortable lump.

I was wondering; did you add any leather conditioners to soften it up to break-in faster?

Thanks,
Scott

·
Registered
4,477 Posts
Mustang Seat (w/backrest) with a Sheepskin pelt! Works wonderful on the two rather brief rides I've got in this year on my 800. I can't wait to try it out on some whole day long ride!

·
Registered
194 Posts
I bought the Kawasaki gel seat and I think it is worse than the stock seat. I used the gel seat pan as a base for my Russel DayLong saddle. The DayLong is without a doubt the best seat I have ever had on a bike. It truly is good for all day. I've done 500 miles with no issue except my old bones complaining, not my butt. Any other seat I've had (Mustang, stock Kawasaki and Yamaha) required regular doses of Ibuprophen to stay in the saddle that long.

+1 on the Russel Day Long. It's not just the softness, or the firmness, or whatever...the biggest praise for the RDL is the ergonomics. I bought the backrest and kinda feel it was a waste of money.

·
Registered
2,656 Posts
TWA,

I just got a pelt for mine.
Mainly to combat Monkey Butt on longer trips.

I know you're a big proponent of em; so I thought you might have some suggestions.

I find that the backside is stiff and can crease up causing an uncomfortable lump.

I was wondering; did you add any leather conditioners to soften it up to break-in faster?

Thanks,
Scott
Did you buy a one piece pelt or a sewn one? My one piece pelt was and is very flexible. One thing I did do was cut a slit in it to fit over the rider backrest.

·
Registered
2,221 Posts
Did you buy a one piece pelt or a sewn one? My one piece pelt was and is very flexible. One thing I did do was cut a slit in it to fit over the rider backrest.
It's a single piece pelt.
I guess maybe "stiff" isn't quite the right word for it. But, I think it will lay better after it's broke in and it's more supple.

I got it last week and on Saturday we rode about 250 miles.
When riding two up; my wife puts her weight on seat/pelt before I do; when I sat down I got a fold under me.

I have worked the pelt stretching and folding it by hand and will probably cut a couple of slits on the sides where the rear seat meets the front.
I'm leery to put conditioner on it; but wanted to know if yours had to break in.

So, far I like it.:) We'll see how it performs this summer.

Thanks,
Scott

1 - 10 of 10 Posts