Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi folks,

Some of you have installed the brake light flasher. Is this the unit you are using? They are on sale cheap!

This is $15.00! It flashes when you apply the brake.
https://gearbrake.com/collections/shop/products/brake-light-flasher-module

This is $10.00 (non-flashing) and $35.00 (flashing)! It flashes when you slow down or apply the brake.
https://gearbrake.com/collections/shop/products/gearbrake-smart-brake-light-module

This is $5.00! Motorcycle Charging Station
https://gearbrake.com/collections/shop/products/motorcycle-charging-station

Has anyone used these products? Opinions?

Thanks...

·
Registered
902 Posts
I put a GS-100A ($3 on eBay) on my Vulcan S. Easy install and worked the whole time I had the bike. It was a 3 fast flash, 3 slow flash, then on solid LED brake light strobe. I put a factory connector on each end of the module, so I could just plug it in. Worked nicely. Gonna get another one for my Z900 real soon.

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Think I'm going to order as well. Depends on how much I spend at Amazon today is "Prime Day"... :)

·
Registered
55 Posts
Cool. I was looking at an Admore unit to do this but it was like $250. For the flasher modal and the little laser = $60 bucks CDN
I wish the led tail light was brighter.

·
Registered
249 Posts
I usually hang out in the 500 section, but this thread caught my eye...

I have 2 or 3 of those GS-100A brake light flashers still hanging out in my toolbox. At one point, I ordered 20 for some crazy low price (under $1 each), and quickly sold about 10 at the shop for $5 each (plus installation).

I did order the charging station from the first post on this thread, along with a handful of their flexible LED strips ($1 each), and one of their Vector Redline lasers. Never seen one of those installed and working, so for the $5, I'll check it out.

Thanks for the post, found some cool stuff today!

·
Registered
53 Posts
For 3 to 5cbucks for the relay it seems like a no brainer to me. I'm going to order one! Now the only question I have is where did you guys splice into the original wires at? Got any pics?

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I usually hang out in the 500 section, but this thread caught my eye...

I have 2 or 3 of those GS-100A brake light flashers still hanging out in my toolbox. At one point, I ordered 20 for some crazy low price (under $1 each), and quickly sold about 10 at the shop for $5 each (plus installation).

I did order the charging station from the first post on this thread, along with a handful of their flexible LED strips ($1 each), and one of their Vector Redline lasers. Never seen one of those installed and working, so for the $5, I'll check it out.

Thanks for the post, found some cool stuff today!
I've been looking at the same things. For the price you can't get hurt. I'm going to order some stuff now. Please let us know how it works out for you. :smile2:

·
Registered
46 Posts
Just installed the $15 module from Gear Brake, but it isn’t working correctly.

Brake light pulses when brakes are applied, but doesn’t stay on. Run light stays on.

(2010 kawasaki vulcan 900 custom.)

1- turn key
2- run light turns on
3- apply brakes
4- run/brake light pulses a few times
5- run light stays on

In other words, brake light only pulses but doesn’t stay on. Run light stays on.

Sent them an email (no other support channels, far as I could tell).

Anyone else set this up?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I bought the same one and some of their other items. Have not had time to install it. That sucks! I hope you figure it out. Please let us know.

·
Registered
249 Posts
Well, I got my order from GearBrake yesterday.

Most of the items were packaged for retail sale, only the redline laser was bulk packaged. It was a pleasant surprise in a way.

Here are my thoughts and observations so far. I have not had a chance to install or test anything, so this is a first look review of sorts.

The charging station has a couple different mounting options, handlebar or flat mount. It also comes with a couple extra boots made to fit over the USB wires you plug into the charger. Also included were 2 spare fuses.

The flex LED strips were about what I expected so far. They look to be decent quality, and made in the USA. The material they're made from will probably discolor in a couple years, but for a buck, that's perfectly fine.

The laser leaves a bit to be desired for me so far. Mostly in the mounting department. A small plastic bracket to be mounted either with double faced tape or 2 small screws. I'm also not sure of the water resistance of the unit. I wish there was a provision to mount to a tag bolt or something more substantial. I'm not crazy about the idea of drilling holes, and the double faced tape provided just doesn't seem like it will hold well in an underside mounting situation.

Well, there's my thoughts so far. Once I get some of this installed, I'll update everyone again.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Some updates for mine:

1) Gearbrake, which may be only one guy in a garage, refunded my $15 plus shipping after I let them know I was having some trouble. They didn't offer to send a replacement nor did they ask for the Gearbrake module to be returned.

2) Further testing revealed that it works as it should when stepping on the rear brake, but doesn't work consistently when squeezing the front. Applying both brakes together works as expected.

3) After doing some research, I ordered a GS-100A module from Amazon, $7, ([ame]https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01F4OKWSG[/ame]). Will try this in a few days.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Update...

Removed the Gearbrake module, installed the $7 GS-100a. Works like a charm, easier to install, too (although it came with no instructions, but easy enough to google).

Highly recommended.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
249 Posts
Here's my update since I've finally had a chance to work on mine and get a few bits installed.

The $5.00 charging station seems to work as it should. It came with 2 extra boots made to fit over the wires you plug in to maintain water resistance. Not something I expected to see in the package for the price. I have mine mounted on the handlebar close to center for now, and connected to the accessory wires located in my headlight bucket. It will be moving outward later as I add more gadgets and goodies to the bike.

My overall rating (quality for the price) is 5 stars

The stick on LED strips were okay. I had a very hard time finding a suitable place to mount them on the bike. It seemed like everywhere I would look, they were either too long, the mounting areas weren't right, or something. The adhesive included is fair. It sticks, but not very solidly (one strip peeled itself off a couple times before I pressed it on really firmly where it finally stuck... crookedly of course). It also doesn't stick well to any kind of leather like saddlebag (yes, I tried). They're not super bright, but would work pretty well for extra running lights or similar.

My overall rating is 4 stars. If the adhesive was better, it would have gotten 5

The laser line thing, well, it didn't make it onto the bike. I could not find a suitable area to mount it with the included hardware. I do not trust the double face tape included, and I'm not drilling holes in the bike's bodywork to mount it with the included screws. I have a couple ideas for placement, but they will involve some fabricating of brackets and disassembly of the bike. I'm withholding a rating on this until I have more time to actually put a little work into it.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts