Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Dear all. so i have this nice VN 1700 nomad that i got new in 2015. the bike was running smooth all this time. approx 2 weeks ago i noticed that the engine is sounding different when i shift in 6th gear. i was today to make the check of the bike for 54.000 km and told my mechanic about this . he took the bike for a ride, confirmed my issue. he is saying that is a problem in the gear box all that wheels there and pinions( dont know the exact word in english) are starting to wear down... he said that is not a problem of my driving skill but that this is a common issue on VN models, the quality of the material that is inside of the gearbox is not that good anymore... my question is : is this possible? if yes i am very disappointed...i made an effort to get this new just not to have this kind of problem, i took care of the bike and now i find out that the only solution is to tear he bike apart:(((( all engine out of the bike, gearbox too, open all to change all that parts in the gearbox...
any of you had this problem? i would really appreciate any advice , opinion, experience with this matter.

PS when i got the bike they say it has 4 year warranty no limit on KM. i put on it V&H exhaust, PC5 and K&N filter, i wonder is with all that i still have warranty on gearbox parts....
here is a picture my mechanic managed to snap today ..

Attachments

·
Registered
507 Posts
Hmmmm ..... if you have been doing your oil changes with good quality motorcycle oil on time, and not just abusing the bike to death, I rather seriously doubt "all the parts" of the transmission would "normally" wear out in 54000 km/33,500 miles. And I even more seriously doubt that the "quality of the material inside" is "not that good any more." Japanese manufacturers in general are rather famous for superb metallurgy and machining and for being fanatics about quality control. They have, after all, been making astonishing things out of steel since the days of the samurai. These bikes regularly go 50,000, even 100,000 miles (80,000 to 160,000 km) with few problems, and certainly without major transmission failures. Not that failure is impossible, but I'd say it's quite unlikely given good maintenance.

On the other hand, I have no explanation for the different sound you are hearing. I'm not sure what the picture is supposed to prove -- it's small, but it looks like a view of a gear. So what? Does he have any solid reason for thinking you need a transmission rebuild other than, "It made a funny sound and I have an opinion?" To me, it seems like a doctor saying, "Well, you look a little pale, and I don't like that look in your eye. We're going to do major heart surgery on you."

As to your warranty situation, I'm afraid I'm no expert on Romanian law. In the US, your aftermarket parts would not void your warranty for the transmission, unless they could prove those parts caused the transmission failure, which they can't prove. In Romania, things may be different. If it's covered, and he says it needs rebuilt, I say let them have at it so long as the work is warrantied. If it isn't covered, I'd probably just drive it till it broke, then rebuild it.

·
Registered
457 Posts
First, find another mechanic and get a second opinion because I think your mechanic is coming on a bit too strong on "all the gears are bad because of bad metal". Plus he was able to diagnose all of this with only one ride, wow. You also didn't mention whether you have problems in any other gears or is this just a 6th gear problem.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
It was my bad in explanation, hr said that may be some usage in some pins there not all..the sound is like a whirl. And only in 6th gear. I was asking if anyone had a similar issue not to have more guesses. I will let you know what is it when i open the gearbox and see. And yes is a bike that i ride a lot i dont know if that is called abused.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
The noise is less iritating/loud the high in speed i am..if i switch in 6th at @ 100 km/hr it sounds louder...if i switch at 140 is the same sound but not that loud.. no matter if i just started the bike or drove for 1 hr or more. And only in the 6th gear..The sound is , if i can describe it better, like you know that whirling paper toys that kids use to lift in the wind holding it by a wood stick... Cant think of something better...also my mechanical skills are very low..:/

·
Registered
507 Posts
The noise is less iritating/loud the high in speed i am..if i switch in 6th at @ 100 km/hr it sounds louder...if i switch at 140 is the same sound but not that loud.. no matter if i just started the bike or drove for 1 hr or more. And only in the 6th gear..The sound is , if i can describe it better, like you know that whirling paper toys that kids use to lift in the wind holding it by a wood stick... Cant think of something better...also my mechanical skills are very low..:/
I think some of us are trying to gently tell you that we suspect you and your mechanic might have the same mechanical skill level.

·
Premium Member
1,707 Posts
Chuckie1976 thanks for the info. I am always dismayed how some forum members always seem to chastise someone for asking questions. I am pretty sure at one point or even now the so called know it all guys giving the sarcastic answers actually know anything. That's just my observations in this forum since 2011. And I get it that it is not just this forum. it seems to happen in all I frequent.

·
Registered
13 Posts
I have a 2014 Voyager that had a final drive bearing start to come apart at 19000km, because the bike was bought used from the USA Kawasaki said no manufacture warranty. It started as a grinding noise whenever I pulled in the clutch. Well....6 weeks waiting for the slow boat from Japan with the parts, and a week for all the work to be done, and I was back on the road.

·
Registered
279 Posts
That is really interesting. The picture, near as I can tell, shows spalling on the gear teeth. Spalling like that will create a lot of noise, increasing as the gear speed increases. It can be "bad metal" but most often it is caused by incorrect gear tooth hardness. Found this on the Rexnord website, explaining spalling, on page five:

https://www.rexnord.com/contentitems/techlibrary/documents/108-010_manual

It is basically a fault of improper heat treating after machining. The contact surface of the gear teeth are too brittle, and the power pulsing vibration of the engine (especially a large V-twin) can cause a load/unload action at the gear teeth the rider cannot feel. As it continues the action breaks out pieces of the gear teeth, which only makes the spalling worse and creates more spalling. Hopefully the repairs also cleared out any metal fragments from the transmission. If the oil has not been changed recently I would change it again and have the oil filter cut apart and analyzed for metal fragments.

I don't know how Kawasaki does the heat treat on the gears. But most likely Kawasaki heat treats all gears together in one batch, so in this case they may have produced an entire manufacturing run of 6th gears with the same problem. So it is less likely the heat treat issue affects all the gears, since Kawasaki likely treats each gear in a batch of the same gears, like a batch of 2nd gears, and then a batch of 4th gears. So it is not accurate for the mechanic to say all the gears are bad. It can only be one gear in the transmission. But it is good that Kawasaki honored the warranty on this one, as should be done regardless of the miles on the bike. Spalling like this started from the first miles on the bike.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts