Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
2,988 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm pretty new to V twins and don't have a tach on my 2008 V2K. For years I've driven a Suzuki rocket with 12,000 RPM redline and max power at 10,000 RPM so I'm use to not paying much attention to shifting unit she's really screaming.

Anyone have a chart, or at least could give me some numbers on gear selection vs indicated mph and engine RPM for the V2K just to give me some idea of what's going on in that regard?

I know it's asking a lot, but perhaps a few different MPH vs RPM in each gear would be really great!

·
Registered
900 Posts

·
Registered
2,988 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
Yes, I have the recommended shift vs mph speed chart, but I'd really like to know more about gear vs. mph vs. engine RPM.

·
Registered
2,988 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
Yeah, but 4000 RPM on this one is quite a bit different than 4000 on the Suzuki. I know what 4000 RPM is and sounds like on the Suzuki, I have no clue on this Vulcan.

Attached is an engine RPM vs Gear vs theoretical MPH table I whipped up. Note the speeds would be theoretical true speed not factoring the ~10% error that seems to be present in the V2K speedo.

Perhaps it would be easier if someone could spot check a few points on the chart to see how close it is (remember speedometer error)?

Attachments

·
wocka, wocka, wocka
5,618 Posts
what is this, the no spin zone?

Just ride it.......They like rpm......have a blast.....Just ask Ponch........:)
taz'er, huh? you need a tach for proper answer to this question. got one?

wru has the gear ratio spread sheet, factor in speedo error and some clutch slippage for wind resistance at speed.

tho these motors can spin up 5k, its not in thier best interest for any kind of long life. those massive pistons and this is a undersquare stroker motor will self destruct if repeated/sustained putting the hammer down.
These motors are really built as a work horse not speed horse. They are most efficient and manageable in the 2-3k rpm range. Tork being the usable part of the motor ouput attains 90% at a mere 2k and plateaus up to 3k before dropping off. This of course is where the motor is most happy. Tho there is more hp available higher up, it comes at a cost. efficiency. most notabley gas mileage will drop off. We all love to tweak our motors to get more out of them. but they still have their basic design dna that should be respected.

here are some specs and dyno charts I lifted somewheres. I think the first is more stock. that second dyno has some tweaking done and shows a different curve. still those big pistons dont like moving that fast. Thier sizeable mass, FPM and inertia are not designed for high rpms. That is the part I wrote about earlier, basic design flaws in big stroker motors that have to be accepted. they do not like to spin, very fast, for very long.

but you knew that.;) out, ponch

·
wocka, wocka, wocka
5,618 Posts
short shifting or just shorted?

the manual, page 60, "how to ride the motorsickel". check this out, what the goodbook:rolleyes: recommends;
Vehicle speed when shifting
1-2, 12mph
2-3, 19
3-4, 25
4-5, 31
yeah right, who does this kinda short shifting? I bet you boys all ring these buggers out?:D and the recommended step down looks like this:
5-4, 40mph
4-3, 30
3-2, 20
2-1, 15
now you all need fall in line and conform to this here factory recommended standards if you is to maintain your warranty.:)

·
Registered
1,388 Posts
the manual, page 60, "how to ride the motorsickel". check this out, what the goodbook:rolleyes: recommends;
1-2, 12mph
2-3, 19
3-4, 25
4-5, 31
yeah right, who does this kinda short shifting? I bet you boys all ring these buggers out?:D and the recommended step down looks like this:
5-4, 40mph
4-3, 30
3-2, 20
2-1, 15
now you all need fall in line and conform to this here factory recommended standards if you is to maintain your warranty.:)
Hardy har har......Ponch.....u the best......I have not ridden or shifted like that since 40 yrs ago when we had the old Honda 70 and 90's.....Ima guessin i been doing it wrong all these years.......LMAO.......Ride it like ya stole it......:eek:

·
Registered
59 Posts

·
wocka, wocka, wocka
5,618 Posts
you just aint got no tach there boy

It is great for us Tachless folks. Herb
madd'rs, try tach'ing a little to the right.;) out, ponch

·
Registered
2,988 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Someone on another board just shared this. It is great for us Tachless folks.

http://www.gadgetjq.com/vulcan_speed_rpmcheck.htm

Just select the VN2000, and put in your RPM or speed.

Herb
Looks like it and my chart are pretty close to saying the same thing. That's good!

Now I'd just like someone with a tach to verify both are reasonably close. That's even better. :)

·
Registered
305 Posts
No need for a tach. Riding this bike is the same as riding any bike. What I mean by that is you should be able to feel and hear the power band and engine revs and automatically determine when to shift. If your too high in the rpms the bike will wind out and be screaming and you will difinetly know its time to shift and if you hear and feel that in fifth gear well, your going pretty dam fast!!

·
Registered
2,988 Posts
Discussion Starter #14 (Edited)
No need for a tach. Riding this bike is the same as riding any bike. What I mean by that is you should be able to feel and hear the power band and engine revs and automatically determine when to shift. If your too high in the rpms the bike will wind out and be screaming and you will difinetly know its time to shift and if you hear and feel that in fifth gear well, your going pretty dam fast!!
Any other bike similar to it, maybe...as in another v-twin, but that's not where my experience lies.

I'm fairly certain "screaming" at 5,000 RPM on this v-twin doesn't sound or feel anything like the "screaming" I'm used to on an I-4 at 12,500 RPM....which is the point of my question.

Anyway, looks like I only need to keep four numbers in mind; 40, 60, 80, and 100 will be close enough...

·
Registered
305 Posts
No, it wont be exactly like an inline 4 but with any engine with a clutch and shifting, you will know when its time to shift by the feel of the engine. If you drive a stick shift car, you dont have to look at the tach everytime you shift, you just get used to the feel and know when to shift. The diffrence with a v-twin is you will feel when to shift earlier than the I4 because its a different gear ratio and different rmp redline and different compression. Any bike or car you ride or drive, if you were blindfolded you should be able to feel when to shift. What im getting to is, shifting is part of the mechanics of driving and riding. If you know the mechanics of riding you should be able to get on any bike and know when to shift by the feel. Ive had many different types of bikes including sport bikes and it all came natural to the feel of the bike.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Any other bike similar to it, maybe...as in another v-twin, but that's not where my experience lies.

I'm fairly certain "screaming" at 5,000 RPM on this v-twin doesn't sound or feel anything like the "screaming" I'm used to on an I-4 at 12,500 RPM....which is the point of my question.

Anyway, looks like I only need to keep four numbers in mind; 40, 60, 80, and 100 will be close enough...
I hope you're not meaning that 40 is when to shift into 2nd, 60 is when to shift into 3rd, etc. I think that would have your big v-twin revving too high. Disclaimer: I would probably be considered a novice rider by most of the posters on this site, so I may get corrected on that last statement.

I ride a 2001 Vulcan Classic 1500. I generally shift into 2nd at about 28 mph, 3rd at about 40 mph, 4th at about 52 mph, and 5th at about 65 mph. (according to my speedo, which I can't verify it's accuracy). If I go too much over these speds before I shift, I start to feel like I'm winding it up too much.

ET

·
Registered
305 Posts
I hope he doesnt mean that either, 1st gear should only be used from a dead stop and once your rolling you should be looking for 2nd already. With one small twist you should be going to 3rd gear. 4th and 5th gears are really your driving gears on this bike, or at least for me. 3rd and 4th are around town gears and obviously 5th gear is your highway gear. If the bike starts to wind out and your not moving faster but are getting a higher wind obviously shift up and if your starting to buck and shake while going slow obviously downshift and everything else in the middle is cool. No tach on my bike and I can figure this out. Maybe 25 years of riding helped.;)

·
Registered
2,988 Posts
Discussion Starter #18 (Edited)
I hope you're not meaning that 40 is when to shift into 2nd, 60 is when to shift into 3rd, etc. I think that would have your big v-twin revving too high. Disclaimer: I would probably be considered a novice rider by most of the posters on this site, so I may get corrected on that last statement.

I ride a 2001 Vulcan Classic 1500. I generally shift into 2nd at about 28 mph, 3rd at about 40 mph, 4th at about 52 mph, and 5th at about 65 mph. (according to my speedo, which I can't verify it's accuracy). If I go too much over these speds before I shift, I start to feel like I'm winding it up too much.

ET
The speeds I posted are, approximately, just below redline for each gear according to my calculations/chart and the online calculator.

My point has not been to find out where to shift, per se, but to know approximately where redline is based on indicated speed and gear. Not that I plan to hammer on the VN2K all the time, but, no doubt the occasion will arise at some point. Anyway, it would be nearly impossible to use the full advertised horsepower because peak HP RPM and redline RPM are almost the same.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Shift Pedal Adjustment

1-2, 12mph
2-3, 19
3-4, 25
4-5, 31
5-4, 40mph
4-3, 30
3-2, 20
2-1, 15
Poncho, I am fairly new with my 2004 V2K, and understand now the slow speed needed to shift from 1st to 2nd, etc. However, is there a simple way of adjusting the height of the shifter. I looked at it, and it is not as simple as taking it off and moving to another spline?

George

·
wocka, wocka, wocka
5,618 Posts
these skoots are just 2 EZ to work on.

Poncho, I am fairly new with my 2004 V2K, and understand now the slow speed needed to shift from 1st to 2nd, etc. However, is there a simple way of adjusting the height of the shifter. I looked at it, and it is not as simple as taking it off and moving to another spline?George
gbe'rs, actually it is much easier. look at the shift link rod located under the motor. It has two lock nuts. One is right thread the other is left. Loosen the locknuts. The shift link is also right/left threaded and can be rotated so that the overall length is shortened or extended. This will adjust your toe shifter. the heel shifter will need to be re-adjusted on it's splines. Pics are next. out, ponch

extra: eliminate that dumb heel shifter. remove it. put a rubber cap and a worm gear clamp. done, finito, arriva dirche' el futo'

1 - 20 of 24 Posts