Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Lately under hard acceleration (higher RPMs) when I shift from 1st to 2nd...it'll stay in 2nd for a second or two and then slip out to neutral. Has anybody encountered this before? Any quick fixes?

·
Registered
133 Posts
I really only have this issue when I don't use the clutch, all the other gears are fine. If I use the clutch it holds just fine. Research has lead me to believe clutch fork issues. At this time I have no know fix other than use the the clutch.

On a second note the only time I need to use the clutch is when I power shift the the gears.

M

·
Registered
11,748 Posts
This does not sound good. Try checking for binds and lubing the shifting linkage first.
If that proves a no go, you might have a bent shifting fork, worn drive and driven second gears, or both. This would require a teardown to repair.

·
Registered
35 Posts
gear slippage

I had that problem last year and it was very annoying. But when I changed my oil the problem went away. I don't remember what oil I had originally but I switched to Mobil 1 synthetic and had no problems. This summer when I changed my oil I decided to use Castrol part-synthetic and, while the gears aren't slipping, I find that sometimes it's hard to shift into 3rd. I'm going to switch back to the Mobil.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I really only have this issue when I don't use the clutch, all the other gears are fine. If I use the clutch it holds just fine. Research has lead me to believe clutch fork issues. At this time I have no know fix other than use the the clutch.

On a second note the only time I need to use the clutch is when I power shift the the gears.

M
Ya I don't powershift...I use the clutch all the time.

·
Registered
217 Posts
Check your shift linkage for looseness. The shift arms front and rear can be tightened with a 10mm wrench. Make sure the jam nuts on the sift shaft between the shift arms, are all tight. I use Honda 10w-40 motorcycle oil, and have no shift problems. Hope this helps.

·
Registered
256 Posts
I have this problem although not all of the time but I find that i sometimes cannot shift up into 2nd as it gets caught in neutral and while in 2nd it has slipped backed into neutral although i can only think of it happening twice within the past year. As far as oil isn't mobil one a car oil? I'll check the lever for tightness

·
Registered
1,158 Posts
Don't forget to check the teeth on your belt/pulley's.

·
Registered
11,748 Posts
I had that problem last year and it was very annoying. But when I changed my oil the problem went away. I don't remember what oil I had originally but I switched to Mobil 1 synthetic and had no problems. This summer when I changed my oil I decided to use Castrol part-synthetic and, while the gears aren't slipping, I find that sometimes it's hard to shift into 3rd. I'm going to switch back to the Mobil.
You are one "lucky" fellow if a simple oil change fixed your bike from jumping out of second gear.

·
Registered
7,620 Posts
It's happened to me a time or two if I don't have a real positive shift from first to second. Make sure you're making that shift firm and positive.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts