Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I bought the gear position indicator with my bike (Before I knew that it had the revised instrument cluster that included a gear indicator) and decided I'm too cheap to pay the dealer to install it. So I went to go put it in with the horrible directions that come with the part, and I get to the point where the fuel tank is off and you can see the main wire harness, and the directions claim there is a plug there (with a picture) and to plug the indicator into that... Well on my 2019 the spot that's in the pic is there, but the connector is nowhere to be found. There's a similar one to the one the directions indicate down by the battery, but there's 0% chance the wire will reach that far, so that can't be it, anyone know what I'm messing up?

In the pic where it says "Connector cap" there's nothing but an empty bracket and no wire/plug nearby that isn't already in use

Attachments

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I already have the majority of it put together and installed, and it's more eye-catching than the built-in one the display has, so not only would I prefer to keep it, not sure they would take it back at this point anyway

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
If I recall there's two places that you can connect the gear indicator to.
The only thing I've found is the diagnostic port by the battery, it even looks like the one in the picture, and it's where aftermarket gear indicators plug in, but the wire is nowhere near long enough to reach that

·
Premium Member
359 Posts
I thought it plugs in behind the headlight. I don't have the gear indicator but I did the DC outlet myself and seem to remember another unused plug tucked away when I was finished. This was 3 years ago though and like I said I don't have the gear indicator, so I could easily be wrong.

·
Registered
306 Posts
Ok...two things.

1) The stock plug in previous years WAS located under the fuel tank and is only compatible with the OEM accessory gear position indicator...the second socket has been used by many of us with older Vulcan S bikes and is wired a bit differently (the one on the left side near the battery tray...it’s the diagnostics connector)...and no, the OEM GPI wires will not reach it.

2) It’s likely that Kaw changed the wiring harness once the GPI was integrated into the instrument cluster...someone with a 2018-19 bike please chime in on this.

That being said, why do you want TWO GPI’s...easier to see? If so, get an aftermarket one and connect it to the diagnostics socket.

My previous thread on aftermarket GPI install; in post #11 of that thread is a pic of where the connector under the tank is/was.

Alternative gear indicator for Vulcan S
https://r.tapatalk.com/shareLink?share_fid=91409&share_tid=234554&url=https://www.vulcanforums.com/forums/showthread.php?t=234554&share_type=t

Ride safe!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

·
Registered
261 Posts
2) It’s likely that Kaw changed the wiring harness once the GPI was integrated into the instrument cluster...someone with a 2018-19 bike please chime in on this.
That's my understanding and how it is on my '18 as well. Once they integrated it into the dash, they no longer kept the harness under the tank. What I can't confirm is if the same harness is still there, but now plugged into something that eventually feeds the integrated gear indicator... If so, I wonder if it can be removed and used for the OEM accessory instead (without messing anything else up in the gauge cluster).

·
Registered
306 Posts
That's my understanding and how it is on my '18 as well. Once they integrated it into the dash, they no longer kept the harness under the tank. What I can't confirm is if the same harness is still there, but now plugged into something that eventually feeds the integrated gear indicator... If so, I wonder if it can be removed and used for the OEM accessory instead (without messing anything else up in the gauge cluster).

Foo:

I agree...someone with an 18-19 Service Manual needs to check the wiring schematics to verify.

That being said I strongly suspect the gear position data is transmitted as a serial bus signal to the instrument cluster like the rest of the data is...and not easily extracted.

Perhaps a test is in order...take a Kaw GPI and make a test harness to wire it to the diagnostics connector and see if it functions. The pinout is different so a bit of measuring with a digital oscilloscope may be needed.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter #10 (Edited)
1) The stock plug in previous years WAS located under the fuel tank and is only compatible with the OEM accessory gear position indicator...the second socket has been used by many of us with older Vulcan S bikes and is wired a bit differently (the one on the left side near the battery tray...it’s the diagnostics connector)...and no, the OEM GPI wires will not reach it.

That being said, why do you want TWO GPI’s...easier to see? If so, get an aftermarket one and connect it to the diagnostics socket.
Thanks for the reply. My GPI is the OE one from Kawasaki. The bracket for the plug is under the tank like in the pic, but the actual wire is missing. Other things I've noticed that differ from paperwork the plug in the back of the instrument cluster and one other thing I forget. As my bike is a 19 model, going to have to assume they changed it, though don't know why they would. As I bought the accessory with the bike, I dunno why they sold me the part when it won't work with my particular bike. At the time I bought it, I didn't know the GPI had been integrated into the instrument cluster, after I found out, I decided to use it anyway because it was bigger and easier to see at a glance, after having recently looked at the aftermarket available for it, IMO it looks better too. And I don't think they'll accept the return of this one at this point in any case, don't want to waste all the money I spent

·
Registered
2,037 Posts
Yes, the one and ONLY change the Vulcan S went through over the years (except the pretty colors) was the addition of the Gear Position Indicator built into the standard dash cluster starting with the 2017 model year. My guess is that since they added the Gear indicator to the dash there was no need for the wire for an external unit and they more than likely used the connecting point for the one in the dash. I don't think the external 2015/2016 unit can be used on the 2017+ Model year bikes. Unless they are total Doofuses and have no clue about what they are selling they should have known that simple fact and advised you of this prior to sale.
I would point that out to them and make them take it back. I am sure they can return it to Kawasaki and they will repackage it and sell it again. If they are total ass hats I would complain to Kawasaki customer service.

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
My money is on them being doofuses... I've had to go back 3 or 4 times already to order parts I didn't know I needed just to install the accessories I bought with the bike (like brackets and such). I plan to go a-complainin' tomorrow

·
Registered
902 Posts
If they sold you that for that year bike, then they really have no clue what they are selling. It’s one of those familiar places where they know how to fill out a credit form and that’s about it. The rest is on you to know before buying. I’d make them take it back, since they should have known better.
If you want an additional gear indicator, get an aftermarket one for 1/4 the price and plug it in to the diagnostic connector. If I had one already in the dash, I wouldn’t bother.
I know for certain, the aftermarket GPI won’t work on the OEM connector, under the tank. I tried it. You’ll get power, but it can’t read the signal. Likewise OEM GPI to diagnostic connector.
The 2017-up with in dash GPI has it hardwired to the ECU, through the harness. Which reads gear position from the sensor now located in the trans case.

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
If they sold you that for that year bike, then they really have no clue what they are selling. It’s one of those familiar places where they know how to fill out a credit form and that’s about it. The rest is on you to know before buying. I’d make them take it back, since they should have known better.
If you want an additional gear indicator, get an aftermarket one for 1/4 the price and plug it in to the diagnostic connector. If I had one already in the dash, I wouldn’t bother.
I know for certain, the aftermarket GPI won’t work on the OEM connector, under the tank. I tried it. You’ll get power, but it can’t read the signal. Likewise OEM GPI to diagnostic connector.
The 2017-up with in dash GPI has it hardwired to the ECU, through the harness. Which reads gear position from the sensor now located in the trans case.
I just talked to them again today, they said since I still have the box and bags the parts came in, and that the only difference is that it's assembled they *MIGHT* be able to return it, if Kawasaki will take the return from them. All the aftermarket GPIs, IMO, are kinda ugly and not nearly as good looking as the Kawasaki one, so I'm just gonna stick with the built-in one. As for "The OEM connector" it's not there, totally removed, but the bracket is still there, just no wires. So if they won't return it tomorrow, I'll put it up for sale here on the forums *Shrugs*

1 - 17 of 17 Posts