Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Okay, all you Voyager Mechanical Gurus, and I mean that with the utmost respect! I'm having a problem that is getting worse and need to know if anyone else has had this problem and what you did to fix it. My gear indicator display works. All lights come on when I turn the key on. After the bike runs for a bit and warms up, 3 to 5 miles, I start losing gear numbers on the display. It was just the 3rd gear indicator, then the fifth gear indicator stopped. Now, I lose 2nd, 3rd, 4th, 5th, and OD, but 4th, and 2nd occasionally come back on! I'm presuming it is a gear indicator sensor, if there is such a thing, but that is a wild guess. If the bike cools down, all gear indicators work again for a few minutes. I am completely baffled, which does not take much!

Any ideas? I have not taken it to Kawasaki yet, as I wanted a bit of input first. Thanks in advance oh wise gurus!:devil2:

Oh yeah, it's a 2014 Voyager with 21,200 miles on it.

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Wow! I am getting senile! I just saw that I had posted something like this back in February, when I first started having the problem. Oh well, thanks for the info back in February, I guess I'm losing it a bit!

·
Registered
13 Posts
I had a problem like this on my Suzuki and honda and for both there is a switch at the transmission both times all I had to do is take out and clean, both worked like a gas guage with the resistance of the curcit determining which gear you were in, never worked on a Kawasaki but if you have a manual trace the leads from display to shifter or trans.

·
Registered
25 Posts
What did you use to clean it? Contact cleaner? My bike has been doing that for about 6 months. Doesn't bother me until I use cruise control. Cruise control cuts off because the gear position fluctuates.

·
Registered
657 Posts
What did you use to clean it? Contact cleaner? My bike has been doing that for about 6 months. Doesn't bother me until I use cruise control. Cruise control cuts off because the gear position fluctuates.
I'm not sure that advice for either a Honda or a Suzuki will help you much... But if you search this forum a little, maybe "gear indicator" or similar, you'll find it's a recurring issue. It won't affect cruise control unless it shows 2nd gear or less.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts