Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
113 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
OK. Here I go. It does not matter if it is cold, warm or hot. I have a 2010 VV with about 48,000 miles. Last winter had the dealer do a mod under warranty which replaced a small part in the tranny that had something to do with the gear indicator. All worked good until two weeks ago. Now when riding the indicator will normally indicate the proper gear up until 3rd. AFter that it will sometimes indicate right, other times it will go up to 4th then fifth then down to 3rd. Other times it will work correctly. When down shifting it will go from fourth to second then third then second again then first. WHAT UP. It is really annoying when I am in 6th and the indicator says 4th and can not set the cruise. Will stop by dealer tomorrow to see what they say and let you all know. Any suggestions??? Is something fixin to let loose like it did on another rider about a month ago???

Thanks for any and all suggestions.

Lobo

·
Premium Member
2,115 Posts
I had the same part replaced on mine just before the 3 year warenty expired this year. I too had wrong gear numbers on the dash and not working right.It wasn't but a couple of days after the part change out that it started it again. Don't know why it's doing it. So I'm just living with it. I know others have the same problem.

·
Registered
320 Posts
The gear indicator is a small magnetic sensor that mounts in the tranny somewhere?I have not had this issue yet with my VV but I did have with my M109R Suzuki.If any metal fillings or shavings from anything in the motor gets on the end of it,the wrong gear will be indicated or it will not change with gear changes.On my Suzuki ,all I had to do was pull it(one capscrew and it came out),wipe it clean and re install--Fixed it.

·
Registered
558 Posts
The gear indicator is a small magnetic sensor that mounts in the tranny somewhere?I have not had this issue yet with my VV but I did have with my M109R Suzuki.If any metal fillings or shavings from anything in the motor gets on the end of it,the wrong gear will be indicated or it will not change with gear changes.On my Suzuki ,all I had to do was pull it(one capscrew and it came out),wipe it clean and re install--Fixed it.
Interesting! My indicator was behaving with a bit of delay. I changed the oil and a bunch of stuff came out. Indicator seems to be working ok today.

·
Registered
574 Posts
I think the above post is on to the problem. I don't know much about Kawas (yet) but on Harleys the neutral switch will get the exact same problem, seen it many a time. It will collect debri on it. Pull it out and clean it and it works great again.

·
Registered
381 Posts
I haven't had any tranny work done but my indicator doesn't keep up with shifts very well and takes a few seconds sometimes for it to switch to what gear I am on. For now I am just living with it.

·
Kiwi Voyager
55 Posts
Yes its a problem down here in NZ as well, Ive advised my service guys and they will look at it when its next in for a service, Ill be glad when its fixed as I do tend to look at it and its driving me nuts, :)

·
Registered
112 Posts
I haven't had any tranny work done but my indicator doesn't keep up with shifts very well and takes a few seconds sometimes for it to switch to what gear I am on. For now I am just living with it.
Mine does the same and has for some time now. I think this is quite common from what I've read.

·
Registered
113 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Talked to the dealership today. They are going to replace my shift indicator under warranty. The bike is 23 months old with 48,000 miles on it. They talked to moma kaw and was informed that they know about the delay and there is nothing they can do about it. They also know alot of us are having problems with the indicator not being right. Hate not being able to set the cruise when I am in 6th and the indicator says 4th. At this rate I will be taking it in about this time next year for a third sensor before the warranty runs out.

Lobo

·
Registered
112 Posts
Hate not being able to set the cruise when I am in 6th and the indicator says 4th.
Lobo
Strange thing about that is, according to the operation manual, cruise can be set in any gear from 3-6. I know mine can be set in 4th, haven't tried 3rd though. I don't think that it indicating 4th for you should that alone prevent setting the cruise. Hope that takes care of it for you.

·
Registered
196 Posts
My gear indicator was often wrong, sometimes just needing to catch-up and other times just clueless. Had the engine/tranny worked on and all of a sudden it was spot on. Well that didn't last long because now it's doing the same old same old again. Just living with it for now. :sidefrown:

My cruise control worked almost 100% of the time up until recently but now it just ignores my requests, doesn't matter what gear I'm in. :curse:

·
Registered
112 Posts
My cruise control worked almost 100% of the time up until recently but now it just ignores my requests, doesn't matter what gear I'm in. :curse:
must be one of the 4 switches bad or out of adjustment for cruise. clutch, front brake, rear brake, and throttle rolloff switch. did I miss any?:confused:
Hope that's all it is.

I couldn't start my bike with it in gear with the clutch pulled in. Dealer said it was the side stand switch out of adjustment. the side stand would kill the engine when extended in gear, but wouldn't let me restart when not extended, in gear.

There are entirely too many switches that can move on these machines, but I guess they all serve a purpose.

·
Registered
196 Posts
must be one of the 4 switches bad or out of adjustment for cruise. clutch, front brake, rear brake, and throttle rolloff switch. did I miss any?:confused:
Yeah, I think I've read that it's often a rear brake sensor, switch, or something. Just haven't pursued it yet. Not too long ago it acted up a bit but then started working again. I guess I should have known it would go south for good at some point.

·
Registered
287 Posts
Shift Indicator

Greetings All
I like you have also had the same issue. Took it to the dealer about two or three months ago. Dealer replaced the neutral switch under warranty. So far this has corrected the problem.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts