Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys, I have a 2010 Nomad 1700. The digital gear indicator seems to never be correct after 3rd gear. I can be in 5th and it shows 4, or in OD and it shows 5. Sometimes it eventually catches up after riding for a while. But it is erratic for sure. Any suggestions on how to fix this?

·
Registered
1,487 Posts
I will be following this. My 2017 Vaquero has nearly the same issue (from day 1). Mine settles on the correct gear after short period, but it is confusing when I'm stopping and I'm sure I'm in 3rd gear. I glance down and see 4th and before I know it I'm shifting into the wrong gear. I don't actually use the indicator to shift, but if I see it and it's wrong I get weird.

·
Premium Member
1,045 Posts

·
Registered
222 Posts
Common to varying degrees. My 2016 Voyager sometimes takes a while to transition 5th to 6th. Lots of folks experience same on the 1700 FB page I am on. Some have had it repaired under warrantly but often it just goes back to being wonky.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I brought it to the dealer but they can't figure it out. It literally flips back and forth at constant speeds. between 4th and 6th, though sometimes I'll be cruising in OD and it will flash a "1" then go back to OD.

·
Premium Member
2,391 Posts
I have two Vaqueros, same problem on both now. The circuit board that Kawi uses for the gear indicator cracks, and over time, the crack gets worse, and the wrong gear indicator gets worse. Mostly just an annoyance UNTIL it doesn't show any gear at all. When that happens, cruise control will no longer work! As cruise control only works in 4-6 gear, if no gear is shown, no cruise control. I learned this the hard way, 160 miles of Interstate with no cruise. You would think after a DECADE of time, Kawi could engineer a durable circuit board!

·
Premium Member
191 Posts
Don't feel bad. Sometimes in 6th it shows 3d. What's really gravitating is sometimes on the highway while in 6th gear and showing 4th means the cruise control won't engage. I read sometime back someone in a post somewhere claimed that above some certain speed even in 4th that the cc would engage. I gave it a try, at 90 mph still wouldn't. I don't normally ride that fast anyway. Just shows you, you have to take the posts here and elsewhere with a grain of salt.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts