Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Premium Member
443 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My gear indicator has started indicating the wrong gear after 3rd. It shows 1-2-3-3-4-5. Sometimes after driving in 6th for a while (while it shows 5) it will correct itself, but when I shift down it will show 4 instead of 5, etc.

Is there an easy fix like an adjustment or lubrication, or is this a @#%^% dealer fix?

·
Registered
64 Posts
I took mine in for the same thing and they changed the sensor, but bike did the same thing. The dealer called Kaw and was told its a known issue and to expect a recall. I'm not holding my breathe though.

·
Premium Member
443 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Bummer - not anxious for multiple trips to the @#%^% dealer. I know this is an unnecessary feature, but now that I'm used to it I hate thinking I'm in 4th when I'm actually in 5th, etc. I guess I'll have to give the dealer a chance.

RACNRAY - are you aware of a known issue/potential recall?

·
Registered
48 Posts
I had mine go out on my 2011 vaquero @6k miles. I delt with it untill it was interferning with my cruise control.
Dealer said it was a pain in the rear to replace. It was covered under warranty.
They didn't bleed my coolent system correctly, which caused me more problems after the gear sensor was replaced. But the dealer and I worked it out OK.

·
Registered
2,656 Posts
It's been a known issue for 3 years. You would think that if it was a recall item it would have been done by now.

Mine can get lazy, but always shows the right gear in 3 years and 40,000 miles.

All that have complained to the dealer have gotten new sensors under warranty.

·
Registered
299 Posts
I just had mine replaced under warrenty. Was ok for a few days and then was lazy agian. Dont bother getting it fixed. Had to loosen my belt afterward. They tightened to kaw specs.

·
Premium Member
1,111 Posts

·
Premium Member
443 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Nudge doesn't work for me. 2 yrs old, 13k miles, guess it's time for a trip to the dealer. I'm heading to the hospital for a week for some 58 yr repairs as well, so I guess we'll both get fixed together. All in all, I'd rather take myself to a surgeon rather than take my bike to the dealer!

·
Registered
320 Posts
Is the gear indicator sensor mounted so that the end of it protrudes into the gear box oil?It is on my old M109R Suzuki and what happens is metal filings collect on the end of it as it is slightly magnetic.Once they get on there it delays the indicator or indicates the wrong gear.pull it out.,clean it off and remount.Problem cured.
Just a thought.I will have to take a look in the service manual as my 2012 has been delayed in indicating the gear on mine just lately also.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Is the gear indicator sensor mounted so that the end of it protrudes into the gear box oil?It is on my old M109R Suzuki and what happens is metal filings collect on the end of it as it is slightly magnetic.Once they get on there it delays the indicator or indicates the wrong gear.pull it out.,clean it off and remount.Problem cured.
Just a thought.I will have to take a look in the service manual as my 2012 has been delayed in indicating the gear on mine just lately also.
Nope, it is an actual moving part not just a magnetic pickup. They had to drain my coolent to do mine.
-Eric

·
Premium Member
1,111 Posts

I read on an old post here about a year and a half ago that is just what the poster did, found a magnetic sensor, cleaned it and all was fine. Now, just where is it? How to get to it. Guess will try looking at the detailed parts manual.

·
Registered
138 Posts
had mine replaced 2 months ago under warranty
kawasaki pays the dealer 4 hours labour to do had to drain oil and coolant as it is internal .
still not perfect but a lot better
2010 voyager with 45000 km was impressed they did it under warranty

·
Premium Member
443 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
My indicator problem cured itself as I rode to the dealer, so I turned around and came home. It will probably show up again but no use telling them it used to be broken. If it's a real problem I'm sure it will show up again.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts