Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1,295 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
When I shift gears on my '17 Vaquero the indicater bounces around before settling on a gear. It has always settled on the correct gear, but I'm curious to know if this is common or an indication that something is amiss.

·
Registered
314 Posts
I've read quite a few posts about the indicator going "haywire". On my Nomad it started at around 30K miles. When shifting it'll either hesitate before showing the correct gear, or it will actually jump two gears (like from 2nd to 4th) before settling back to the correct gear. It doesn't do it every time, but enough to be noticed. It only takes a second or two to correct itself. I'd be interested in knowing a cause and fix, as well.

·
Registered
154 Posts
Mine has been doing same in the hot weather last week....2016 Voyager with 10K miles. Takes a few seconds sometimes to change to indicated gear. I have read that some folks see improvement when they change oil. Not sure if that has any bearing but I am about 5K miles on current oil/filter and will be changing out soon as I am taking an extended road trip. Will see if that settles it down.

·
Registered
38 Posts
My bike does it too. I think it's the sensor because, for example, I can switch to 5th gear, but the bike will still show 4th gear. If I just touch the shifter with my heel, it will show 5th. I just do what I've done with previous bikes and just try to keep track of what gear I'm in.

Dan

·
Registered
657 Posts
Some have replaced the sensor to eliminate the problem, and then had it return. Most Vaq's / Voyagers seem to hunt like that for the right gear to indicate.

I find it quite endearing... as if my Voyager is a little bit like my wife is sometimes, and has a moments difficulty in making up her mind which gear to display. Little faults like that make the bike more likable, I find.

It only becomes a problem if the display starts showing lower gears while the cruise is set, and disengages it. That's never happened to me, so I can put up with it's little foible. Gear indicators are a modern and unnecessary luxury really, so near enough is good enough, for me.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts