Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
361 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Before my last oil change the gear selection got the usual clunky carry on and difficulty selecting neutral.

I've since done the oil change some 1600kms ago (about four- six weeks ago) and everything settled in fine.

I put in mobil one oil. The bike has done about 60 thou kms now

Now the bike has got clunky gear selection again, no mater what gear when changing up. Not a biggie but just dam annoying getting that clunk when when upshifting.

Neutral is fine. Down changing is also fine with the usual blip on the throttle. I've checked the clutch adjustment and all is fine there all up to spec.

Had anyone else had this with mobil one oil? Or should i looking else where

Ando

Sent from the bottom of the Earth via a Tapatalk clone........……Motorcycle.com.

·
wocka, wocka, wocka
5,618 Posts
Before my last oil change the gear selection got the usual clunky carry on and difficulty selecting neutral.
I've since done the oil change some 1600kms ago (about four- six weeks ago) and everything settled in fine.
I put in mobil one oil. The bike has done about 60 thou kms now
Now the bike has got clunky gear selection again, no mater what gear when changing up. Not a biggie but just dam annoying getting that clunk when when upshifting.
Neutral is fine. Down changing is also fine with the usual blip on the throttle. I've checked the clutch adjustment and all is fine there all up to spec.
Had anyone else had this with mobil one oil? Or should i looking else where
Ando
rnz, Mobil 1 Synthetic? 10/40 or 20/50? mc oil? 1600km=1k miles is 1/5 what I get out of my oil changes. 20/50 syn mc oil summers. 10/40 winters. On toward the end of these 5k intervals, the shifting can get Klunky. the oil has been Sheered in the transmission and the long strands of polymers are no longer there to do their work. Time for a fresh batch of Syn slippery stuff. poncho

·
Registered
361 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
rnz, Mobil 1 Synthetic? 10/40 or 20/50? mc oil? 1600km=1k miles is 1/5 what I get out of my oil changes. 20/50 syn mc oil summers. 10/40 winters. On toward the end of these 5k intervals, the shifting can get Klunky. the oil has been Sheered in the transmission and the long strands of polymers are no longer there to do their work. Time for a fresh batch of Syn slippery stuff. poncho
Thanks Ponch, Yep it's Mobil motorcycle, 10W40 synthetic. I think you might be right abouth the oil being knackered. I'll be dumping the oil and going back to my usual, choices Castrol or the other brand my bike shop has that has proven reliable. Shame the Mobil stuff has given up so quickly, odd really.

Ando

·
Registered
361 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Righto thought I'd better update.

I dumped the mobil oil, let the bike sit to drip every last drop out. Replaced with Castrol, normal service has returned, no more clack clack through gears.

I'm still a miffed as to why the mobil oil caved in so quickly???????

Ando

Sent from the bottom of the Earth via a Tapatalk clone........……Motorcycle.com.

·
wocka, wocka, wocka
5,618 Posts
I dumped the mobil oil, let the bike sit to drip every last drop out.
rnz, wen draining my many motors, I pull plug wires and crank the starter a couple times. She always finds more oil to pee. Often half quart more will come out. poncho

·
Registered
145 Posts
I had some chunkiness/clunkiness a year or so ago, (along with a sticking HLA at times) no matter which synthetic I used (except for royal purple, but read in several places to stop using due to possible clutch slippage because it was TOO slick) and just went back to whatever was the highest quality standard motor oil I could find at the time of changes, and haven't had the slightest problem since...

1 - 6 of 6 Posts