Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello,

I'm a brand new owner of a 2014 Vulcan classic that was a leftover. My first ride on the bike was yesterday and the bike ran great compared to my 1995 Honda Magna. I never owned a twin so I didn't know what to expect but I was thrilled, it really is a very nice ride. My question is down shifting into second gear the bike makes a kind of whistle noise, should I be concerned? It seems to have zero effect on the bike I'm just not used to that type of sound. Like a said before the bike is like brand spanking new so is it a break in type of thing or just a funky twin thing?

Thanks

·
Registered
529 Posts
Hello,

I'm a brand new owner of a 2014 Vulcan classic that was a leftover. My first ride on the bike was yesterday and the bike ran great compared to my 1995 Honda Magna. I never owned a twin so I didn't know what to expect but I was thrilled, it really is a very nice ride. My question is down shifting into second gear the bike makes a kind of whistle noise, should I be concerned? It seems to have zero effect on the bike I'm just not used to that type of sound. Like a said before the bike is like brand spanking new so is it a break in type of thing or just a funky twin thing?

Thanks
Just write that noise down next to the other long...... long list of weird and strange noises that you have never heard any other bike make. This is the third bike I have owned, 5th bike I have ridden more than a few times, and it's definitely full of unexpected ticks and clicks and all sorts of strange things.

I think the only thing I could suggest that will help you in more than one aspect is to get yourself a good supply of 3m ear plugs and wear them every time you ride. Save your hearing and you don't hear those little noises anymore.

Flip side is that your belt could be too tight. Most of them are from the factory. If you bike did have a problem, that would be it. Get a gague off ebay for 10 dollars and read up on how to measure it properly. Kawi recommends 1-4mm of tension. I say from experience if you don't want it to whine and make noise you need more than 4mm but no more than 8mm

·
BOTM Winner, June 2015
842 Posts
Just write that noise down next to the other long...... long list of weird and strange noises that you have never heard any other bike make. This is the third bike I have owned, 5th bike I have ridden more than a few times, and it's definitely full of unexpected ticks and clicks and all sorts of strange things.

I think the only thing I could suggest that will help you in more than one aspect is to get yourself a good supply of 3m ear plugs and wear them every time you ride. Save your hearing and you don't hear those little noises anymore.

Flip side is that your belt could be too tight. Most of them are from the factory. If you bike did have a problem, that would be it. Get a gague off ebay for 10 dollars and read up on how to measure it properly. Kawi recommends 1-4mm of tension. I say from experience if you don't want it to whine and make noise you need more than 4mm but no more than 8mm
+1 on this. But a little caveat to the earplug comment. I agree with the wearing of the ear plugs to protect your hearing. But sometimes wearing the earplugs can filter out some noises and help you hear others that were drowned out. But after a while, unless you're consciously listening for the noises, your brain filters them out for you until a new noise comes that wasn't there before.

But yeah, these bikes have some noises. It's their character. Harleys have the "DODGE Problem" (Drips Oil Drops Grease Everywhere) and the 900's have the noises. :)

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
If funky noises are the only problem then who cares :) Like I said it was my first real ride with the bike and as performed great, so far so good!!

·
BOTM Winner, June 2015
842 Posts
If funky noises are the only problem then who cares :) Like I said it was my first real ride with the bike and as performed great, so far so good!!
Good to hear she performed great. But as Archer said, you might want to check your belt. They are extremely tight from the factory/dealer. If your belt is too tight it can cause your front pulley to come loose just enough (literally 1/4 turn from torque spec) that it causes a noise that sounds like marbles rolling around in your transmission on decel (ask me how I know this) and that's a noise that'll put skid marks in your underoos. This may not be the "right" or "correct" thing to do, but I checked a few other bikes' belt tensions and made mine comparable. Have had zero issues.

·
Registered
847 Posts
Take it from us, filter out the noises. You have a new bike, ride it and pretty soon you will write it off as white noise and keep pedaling. These bike make all kinds of noises, some different each week. It's under warranty ride the hound out of it. If it breaks it breaks. I have 20,000 plus on an 07 I bought as a hold over in Dec. 07. I have had it all over the country, hill and dale it rattles clangs and keeps on digging. Listen to those of us who have been there, ride it and forget it. If something major happens you will know it.

·
Registered
847 Posts
Yes, there is a lot of belt discussion, and I agree with the post on here. I do not understand the tension from the factory on this belt. I copied the Harley with mine 16,000 miles ago, same belt no problems just quieter.

·
Registered
847 Posts
When I bought mine in 07 I had never had a bike that sounded like this one. I worried myself silly looking for everything until I found this forum. I quit worrying and started riding.
When it quits making odd noises I may have a problem.

·
BOTM Winner, June 2015
842 Posts
When I bought mine in 07 I had never had a bike that sounded like this one. I worried myself silly looking for everything until I found this forum. I quit worrying and started riding.
When it quits making odd noises I may have a problem.
My dad, while I was growing up and still to this day, only bought used, cheap, practically junk cars and trucks. Of course, my first car was just like that: used, cheap junk. Made all kinds of noises and what not and his advice to me was "don't worry about it. You'll get used to the noises and when it either goes BANG! or stops making noises all together, THEN you worry." I've lived by that for the last 25 years. Hasn't failed me yet.

·
Registered
66 Posts
Does it have a windshield? I found on bikes with windshields they have a parabolic effect on sounds. Even rocks getting flicked from the tires sounded like someone was shooting at me. So something you might not hear without a windshield you'll hear with.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts