Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

Gauge question

2K views 4 replies 2 participants last post by  RealFloopyGuy 
#1 ·
Does anyone know if the bike will run OK without gauges or if there are aftermarket gauges for it?

My gauges got damaged and no longer work. It is $713 for a new speedometer. The bike only has a few thousand miles on it but I have something wrong(preeexisting the odometer) where I don't get any fuel to the engine but the pump is good. Starts right up with a mist of gas in the intake. I believe it happened when I left the keys on and then jump started it. It started up, ran for a few seconds, and never started again.

I was going to take it to the shop and get it fixed but $713 for the gauges and then however much for the repair hurts my butt a little.

2012 VN1700 Classic.

#2 ·
You might have a bad computer module. I had just the opposite issue with mine where one injector ran open all the time. Gas poured out. I replaced the ECU with a good used one off ebay for $65 and fixed the problem. Yours is closed all the time instead of open

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

#3 ·
The problem is that the one in my bike, like the gauges, was only used on the 1700 and only for a couple years. Between the two, I'd be out $1700 to get them from a dealer.

Does anyone know if the Vaquero or other 1700s that year would interchange even though they are a difference part number? There is a gauge online for $100 from a 09 1700, it looks the same but different part number. I don't care about the gauges, I can make a custom one if I need to but I'd rather get a used one for cheap. I certainly ain't paying $800 for a speedometer I'm going to ignore anyway :p

#5 ·
If I hit the start button immediately after turning it on, it will start up, respond to throttle correctly, and run for a second or two. I can feel and hear the relays kicking on (the two individual ones).

If I wait for a second or so before hitting the start button, nothing but the engine turning over.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.