Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Heya-

I have an 09 Vulcan 900 Custom that I took out today in search of the 3,000th mile...fortunately, it was gorgeous out, so my normally 30 minute ride turned into a 2 hour one...and I rolled on those last few miles before the next oil change, just in time for winter.

I had the 600 mile service done at the dealer, but decided I wanted to do the more basic stuff like oil changes myself. So, I changed the oil today. Went fairly smoothly considering I'm not that mechanically inclined, but I did have a heck of a time getting the old filter off. I switched to a K&N filter and Amsoil, fwiw.

Anyways...long story short, the old oil that I drained out of her had a distinctive gasoline smell. This is my first motorcycle, and my first time changing oil, so I was wondering if it seemed normal to anyone?

I called the service department at the dealership and was told that it was normal and that I shouldn't worry about it.

Any thoughts?

Thanks!
-neil

·
Registered
295 Posts
What they said is true. When you figure that there's always a little blow-by combustion gasses that contaminate the oil it's not gonna smell too good.

·
Registered
43 Posts
I have an '09 Custom as well and yours is part of the 'norm'. Open up the hood to your truck or car and remove the oil filler cap and take a whiff, I'll bet you'll smell something similar...

Way to question something that didn't seem right to you though! I personally love doing my own maintenance as it gives me a feel for how the bike's doing.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts