Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok, I called myself looking but I did not find a thread that explained how to install the throttle body gasket.

My bike has less than 800 miles but I have some popping. It's not too bad but I want to get rid of it.

I'm not really sure where to start on the install? I'm assuming everything is under the left side breather cover... Are there any gotcha's? What all has to be removed to get to the gasket.

Thanks in advance for any help...

When I do mine, I will take pictures and document the process for anyone else that needs to do it in the future.

Tommy

·
Premium Member
1,667 Posts
The quickest and easiest method to affect a decrease or outright elimination of popping on decel is to cancel out the kleen air system.
This system allows air to enter the exhaust ports to minimize emmissions, but is well known for being a major contributor to popping on decel.
The hose that feeds this system connects to the RIGHT SIDE airbox base, to the back side of the base at about the 11 oclock spot. Removing the hose and inserting a marble into the hose is one way, but plugging the hole in the airbox with hi-temp silicone is our method and very quick and easy.

As far as the t/b gasket, the work is performed on the RIGHT SIDE of the intake system. The complete right side air box must be removed and the throttle body removed from the intake manifold. The gasket goes in between and you must also use the stock o-rings in there original grooves. I also recommend using a thin film of hi-temp sealant on the gasket.

I would HIGHLY recommend getting a service manual. This really is not a job without some experience and/or being able to refer to a service manual.

RACNRAY

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks Ray. That is exactly what I needed.

I'm assuming the popping isn't really causing any harm. I called Kawasaki and they said it was normal.

I have had bikes since I was 16 and I'm 51 now. This is the first one I have had that pops this much.

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App

·
Premium Member
1,667 Posts
The popping does not cause any harm.

·
Registered
636 Posts
Ray - Is that the hose Joe has you plug when installing his big air kit?
That is the hose ! Ray if that hose attaches to the back of the airbox and I plugged the hose does that mean I have a hole in the back of my air box now ? The hose is not attached to the back of my airbox now.

·
Registered
440 Posts
i installed cobra tri ovals wich is making my bike do alot of popping , if i stick to 89 octane its not as bad , but its loud sometimes depending on the weather. will blocking the hose help? and do i need to block the hole thats left? i really dont want to get into air kits and comanders.. i spent enough already . your help is well appreciated if i lived down there you'd get all my business. :)

·
Premium Member
1,667 Posts
That is the hose ! Ray if that hose attaches to the back of the airbox and I plugged the hose does that mean I have a hole in the back of my air box now ? The hose is not attached to the back of my airbox now.

YES...plug up the hole in the a/b with hi=temp silicone.

i installed cobra tri ovals wich is making my bike do alot of popping , if i stick to 89 octane its not as bad , but its loud sometimes depending on the weather. will blocking the hose help? and do i need to block the hole thats left? i really dont want to get into air kits and comanders.. i spent enough already . your help is well appreciated if i lived down there you'd get all my business. :)
Plug the hose and the hole, will help to reduce popping on decel.

RACNRAY

·
Registered
440 Posts
Plug the hose and the hole, will help to reduce popping on decel.

RACNRAY
thank you ray it seems to help . it popped a little , not like it was ,i can live with that. if it ever stops raining i'll be able to take a long ride and give a better report. would a air kit or k&n filter help more? if so wich one ?

·
Registered
33 Posts
The quickest and easiest method to affect a decrease or outright elimination of popping on decel is to cancel out the kleen air system.
This system allows air to enter the exhaust ports to minimize emmissions, but is well known for being a major contributor to popping on decel.
The hose that feeds this system connects to the RIGHT SIDE airbox base, to the back side of the base at about the 11 oclock spot. Removing the hose and inserting a marble into the hose is one way, but plugging the hole in the airbox with hi-temp silicone is our method and very quick and easy.

As far as the t/b gasket, the work is performed on the RIGHT SIDE of the intake system. The complete right side air box must be removed and the throttle body removed from the intake manifold. The gasket goes in between and you must also use the stock o-rings in there original grooves. I also recommend using a thin film of hi-temp sealant on the gasket.

I would HIGHLY recommend getting a service manual. This really is not a job without some experience and/or being able to refer to a service manual.

RACNRAY
Is this an extra gasket install on thr t/b?? I have noticed a lot of popping of late and will be plugging the air pipe but I also have read that for some reason the sealing of the t/b etc leaves little to be desired. Any further details or a pointer to a thread on this appriciated.

·
Premium Member
2,115 Posts
Is this an extra gasket install on thr t/b?? I have noticed a lot of popping of late and will be plugging the air pipe but I also have read that for some reason the sealing of the t/b etc leaves little to be desired. Any further details or a pointer to a thread on this appriciated.

No, it's a gasket install with O rings.

·
Premium Member
2,115 Posts
So we are talking about an extra gasket plus the original O rings I take it?
No, you can leave the O rings there. Just add the one gasket you get from Thunder. No extra gasket.

·
Registered
82 Posts
Ok, I plugged the hose, installed a thunder air kit with gasket, cobra exhaust, and FI2000R. I still have just as much develop popping as I did when it was stock. Anyone have anymore suggestions? Also after riding 800 mi. this weekend I found that 89 octane gives me .5 mpg better mileage than 93 or 87.

·
Premium Member
2,115 Posts
Ok, I plugged the hose, installed a thunder air kit with gasket, cobra exhaust, and FI2000R. I still have just as much develop popping as I did when it was stock. Anyone have anymore suggestions?
Yes I have one but you won't like it.:(

Get a PCV and replace that FI2000R.

·
Registered
440 Posts
Yes I have one but you won't like it.:(

Get a PCV and replace that FI2000R.
which pcv are we talking about? ive been looking , and thinking of getting the cobra fi2000 powerpro auto tune . but i'll do what ever it takes to stop the popping.

·
Premium Member
2,115 Posts
which pcv are we talking about? ive been looking , and thinking of getting the cobra fi2000 powerpro auto tune . but i'll do what ever it takes to stop the popping.

If you have any other model other than the "Classic" you can get either the
17-006 or 17-033 (with ignition). The unit with ignition takes more time to install, but it's not that hard.
http://www.powercommander.com/powercommander/powercommanders.aspx?mk=27&mdl=290&yr=2011&pc=17-006&mk-n=Kawasaki&mdl-n=Vulcan 1700 Models&pc-ver=PCV&add-mdlyrid=17-006&add-mdlyrid2=17-033&fullstr=17-03317-006&prod-type=Powercommander V (Fuel and Ignition)Powercommander V (Fuel Only)

I can help you with a map for either one.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts