Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
could anybody tell me how to take the gas tank off a classic LT or point me to a website with instructions? I have to get this thing painted before spring really gets here and any help would be greatly appreciated!!!
thanks in advance, also I need a good windshield-any suggestions?
Aaron

·
wocka, wocka, wocka
5,618 Posts
this is a no beaner... er, brainer

could anybody tell me how to take the gas tank off a classic LT or point me to a website with instructions? I have to get this thing painted before spring really gets here and any help would be greatly appreciated!!! Aaron
Beanie Boy, where o where to start? am assuming you know your way around the bike and are familar with hand tools.? here are some rudimentary steps. I might miss a few, but they should be pretty obvious as you work your way down to the frame.
0. run the fuel tank as near empty as you can. it helps later.
1. remove the seat. yes. both of them.
2. remove the left side cover. the shiney chrome one. not that colored one.
3. unplug as many of the connectors as you can manage under left cover.
4. if you can get to the fuel line connector at the inside bottom of the fuel pump, push the red feet in and the other side will pop out. then the fuel line can be pulled off the nipple. no worry, no fuel will exit. the pump needs 'lectricity to do that
5. if you still have a sizeable amount of fuel in the tank, and/or want it bone dry. then put a length of rubber fuel line on the nipple and run it to a big 'nuff gas can. then you have to plug all the connectors back in, so you can turn the key on and the fuel pump will pump all the remaining fuel out of the tank and into the gas can. why? because there is no back pressure on the line and that is what the fuel pump responds to. so it will just keep pumping away till its all gone.
6. turn the key off. unplug all the connectors. remove rubber fuel line. put gas can away.
7. remove the 12mm bolt at the back of the bikes gas tank.
8. there are two rubber hoses under the rear of the tank, left and right, unplug em.
9. lift the rear of the tank and pull it back slowly as you lift the tank up.
10. see if there are any other connectors, hoses or obstructions. get rid of em.
11. the tank and all is hanging items should come clear of the bike.
12. carefully set it down some place where it wont get damaged.
13. examine all the hoses, wires, emmision hoses n crap.
14. while your studying all this engineering exersize in political correctedness under the hood, consider what I do to all my scoots. get rid of all of it. it don't serve no purpose other than dotting i's and crossin t's in the gov's pc book.
15. after you get your bike all tydied up and lookin good again, write me a thanky note.
16. yor welcome. out, ponch;)

·
Registered
66 Posts
Very cool

Thanks for the info and the link. I am installing spot lights and needed to run the wires under the tank along the backbone and wasn't sure how many bolts were needed to make it raise up. Later when I'm ready to paint the tank then I will know how to completely remove it. :D

·
Registered
101 Posts
Its an easy job. My biggest mistake the first time was forgetting step 1. The tank and ~4 gallons of gas are HEAVY. And when it was off I was a little shocked how big that top tube really is. I swear I could take it out and replace a railroad rail with it.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts