Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I need to take the gas tank off of my '16 voyager. I've never done this, so any tips would be appreciated.

·
Registered
199 Posts
I need to take the gas tank off of my '16 voyager. I've never done this, so any tips would be appreciated.
After you take out the bolts, is very useful to have a 2nd person to keep the tank raised up, so that you have access under the tank, to remove the pressure hose & connector plug, from the fuel injection pump.

just what I remember ....

·
Registered
1,295 Posts
I haven't done it yet on my Vaquero, but from the service manual it looks a lot like the 900 removal. Get most of the gas out to keep it from sloshing around when you have it off and have something ready to set it on that will keep the fuel line elbow (from the fuel pump) off the ground I always set up a couple of 2x4s to set the tank down on. That way you don't bend or break the elbow.

·
Registered
657 Posts
After you take out the bolts, is very useful to have a 2nd person to keep the tank raised up, so that you have access under the tank, to remove the pressure hose & connector plug, from the fuel injection pump.

just what I remember ....
I've never needed anyone to help me... But a short piece of 2x4 is useful. When the rear bolt is removed, lift the back of the tank and hold it up with the piece of timber. Then you have all the access you need to disconnect the fuel lines, breathers etc.

Push a rag in there under the fuel connection before you disconnect that, to catch the small amount of fuel that will escape.

·
Premium Member
1,118 Posts
I've never needed anyone to help me... But a short piece of 2x4 is useful. When the rear bolt is removed, lift the back of the tank and hold it up with the piece of timber. Then you have all the access you need to disconnect the fuel lines, breathers etc.

Push a rag in there under the fuel connection before you disconnect that, to catch the small amount of fuel that will escape.
What he said... :good:

·
Registered
199 Posts

What he said... :good:
I see, guys, you are not married :grin2:

·
Premium Member
1,118 Posts
Oh yes. I'm married... But when it comes to motorcycle maintenance, I simply find the block of wood more reliable. :wink2:
I'm married, too. She is a reliable helper as a 3rd/4th hand (by which I mean she's not mechanically inclined but will lend a hand if she can), but I don't call on her to help if I don't need to.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts