Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
been told my over heat issue can be cured by removing fuel tank and adding coolant to a resevoir under the fuel tank - how is fuel tank removed? Is there anything tricky to adding the coolant & what is the amount to be filled, i.e. correct fluid level?

·
wocka, wocka, wocka
5,618 Posts
lots of work for..?

been told my over heat issue can be cured by removing fuel tank and adding coolant to a resevoir under the fuel tank - how is fuel tank removed? Is there anything tricky to adding the coolant & what is the amount to be filled, i.e. correct fluid level?
jt, will give you the tank removal info next, but question is why do you think your motor is overheating or low on coolant? You may be doing all of this work inadvertantly. It would be good to be sure b4 you go to all this truble.

Tank removal. unlock right hand side cover and pull handle cablewire to remove rear seat. unscrew 2 bolts behind and remove driver seat. unscrew 1 bolt at back of gas tank. Unscrew 1 philip screw on left side chrome cover and remove cover. Disconnect all wiring connectors. Using a small screw driver, unclip the red push pin on the fuel line exiting the fuel pump located behind the wire connectors. Unplug two rubber hoses underside at rear of gas tank. That should pretty much be all the physical connections.? Pull the gas tank backward an inch and lift it up and off the bike. Find a secure place to put it while you work.

The radiator/coolant cap is now exposed above between the cylinders. Uncap it. Look at your coolant level. Add only distilled water to top it off. You cant run the motor unless you put the tank back on. So you may have to repeat this process if you think your bike needs to be burped.

I did mine when I changed gears. Add water once is all I bothered with. Seems to be fine, no worries. out, ponch

·
Registered
288 Posts
jt, will give you the tank removal info next, but question is why do you think your motor is overheating or low on coolant? You may be doing all of this work inadvertantly. It would be good to be sure b4 you go to all this truble.

Tank removal. unlock right hand side cover and pull handle cablewire to remove rear seat. unscrew 2 bolts behind and remove driver seat. unscrew 1 bolt at back of gas tank. Unscrew 1 philip screw on left side chrome cover and remove cover. Disconnect all wiring connectors. Using a small screw driver, unclip the red push pin on the fuel line exiting the fuel pump located behind the wire connectors. Unplug two rubber hoses underside at rear of gas tank. That should pretty much be all the physical connections.? Pull the gas tank backward an inch and lift it up and off the bike. Find a secure place to put it while you work.

The radiator/coolant cap is now exposed above between the cylinders. Uncap it. Look at your coolant level. Add only distilled water to top it off. You cant run the motor unless you put the tank back on. So you may have to repeat this process if you think your bike needs to be burped.

I did mine when I changed gears. Add water once is all I bothered with. Seems to be fine, no worries. out, ponch
My fuel line clip is purple for some reason. Other than being prepared for that being that case on your bike, Ponch is, of course, quite correct. And also quite entertaining. How come you're not over at the Beartooth site too? Get over there, boy. I need someone else on there with a goofy sense of humor to dork out with.

·
wocka, wocka, wocka
5,618 Posts
My fuel line clip is purple for some reason. Other than being prepared for that being that case on your bike, Ponch is, of course, quite correct. And also quite entertaining. How come you're not over at the Beartooth site too? Get over there, boy. I need someone else on there with a goofy sense of humor to dork out with.
op1knobe, goofy? I give you benefit of years experience all my wit n wisdom and all I get is... goofy?:confused: sheesh, yor sounding mor like my kids everyday. just can't get no respect 'round here.:(
btw, wats a beartooth? mean where? boy I got my hands full of projects, need 'nother? and now I'm in the entertainment bidnez? I guess all that story tellin the kiddos when theys jes pups musta done it. My daughter, aka; babybear, says "dad, you spend too much time alone with that pooch". hey, he's a great listener and dont give me no talkback... well not much.;) out, ponch

·
Registered
9 Posts
Am I wrong? If you are low on coolent won't the overflow tank show this? and can't you add coolent to this tank to be sucked up by the engine when it is needed?

1 - 5 of 5 Posts