Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
127 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Can someone elaborate as to this recall. Kawasaki is no help and just says to take it to the dealer. What on the tank is actually defective?

It would be so awsome if they replace. Someone put an ugly skull on the side and clear coated over it.

Recall Date:09/09/2008

Remedy: Your Kawasaki dealer will correct this problem for you at no charge. The correction will consist of inspecting your fuel tank and replacing it if required. The actual inspection/repair will take less than one hour but may take longer due to scheduling at the dealership and the time needed to obtain required parts. Please call your authorized Kawasaki motorcycle dealer to schedule an appointment.

Risk: On the affected fuel tanks, under certain riding conditions, fuel can leak from between the tank filler neck and the fuel cap gasket. Fuel leakage in the presence of spark or flame could cause a fire or explosion possibly resulting in injury or death. UNTIL THE INSPECTION HAS BEEN COMPLETED--DO NOT OPERATE YOUR MOTORCYCLE--STORE YOUR MOTORCYCLE IN A WELL VENTILATED AREA AWAY FROM ANY SOURCE OF IGNITION.

NHTSA Recall #: 08V473

Kawasaki Recall #: MC08-15

Consumer Contact:For more information, contact your authorized Kawasaki dealer or call Kawasaki toll-free at 866-802-9381 between 8:00am and 5:00pm PT, Monday through Friday.

·
Registered
1,034 Posts
I received a notice of recall about the gas tank some years ago, but as I recall it had to do only with gas tanks which had some sort of repair work or gas cap replacement, or had been changed. In any event my '07 900 Classic LT did not qualify for the recall since the gas tank had never had any work done on it. The recall notice in the OP's post describes the possible result if the tank has the problem.

·
Registered
212 Posts
Here is the Kaw notice on this. Apparently it only affected some 2006 - 2009 replacement tanks, not original ones.

The symptom is obvious: gas leaking out from under a closed cap, which you could certainly see and smell if you had the issue.

2006~2009 VULCAN® 900 FUEL TANK INSPECTION & REPLACEMENT WARNING AND RECALL NOTICE

MC 08-15

Dear Kawasaki Motorcycle Owner: This notice has been sent to you in accordance with requirements of the National Traffic and Motor Vehicle Safety Act. The reason for this notice: Kawasaki Motors Corp., U.S.A. has decided that a defect which relates to motor vehicle safety exists in certain REPLACEMENT FUEL TANKS distributed from Kawasaki as spare parts for certain 2006-2009 Vulcan 900 models. On the affected fuel tanks, under certain riding conditions, fuel can leak from between the tank filler neck and the fuel cap gasket. Fuel leakage in the presence of spark or flame could cause a fire or explosion possibly resulting in injury or death. Our records indicate that you purchased a 2006-2009 Vulcan 900. · · · If the fuel tank on your vehicle was REPLACED after April 7, 2008, please take your vehicle to an authorized Kawasaki dealer for INSPECTION. If you are a SECOND OWNER, please take your vehicle to an authorized Kawasaki dealer for INSPECTION. If you are the original owner and the fuel tank has NEVER BEEN REPLACED you may DISREGARD this notice.

What Kawasaki and your dealer will do: Your Kawasaki dealer will correct this problem for you at no charge. The correction will consist of inspecting your fuel tank and replacing it if required. The actual inspection/repair will take less than one hour but may take longer due to scheduling at the dealership and the time needed to obtain required parts. What you must to do to ensure your safety: Please call your authorized Kawasaki motorcycle dealer to schedule an appointment and take this letter with you at the time of your appointment. UNTIL THE INSPECTION HAS BEEN COMPLETED: · · DO NOT OPERATE YOUR MOTORCYCLE. STORE YOUR MOTORCYCLE IN A WELL VENTILATED AREA AWAY FROM ANY SOURCE OF IGNITION.

If you need help: If you have questions or concerns that your dealer is not able to resolve, please contact Kawasaki's Consumer Services Department at (866) 802-9381 (toll-free) between 8:30 a.m. and 4:45 p.m. PT Monday through Friday. Please have your Vehicle Identification Number ready when calling. If your dealer fails or is unable to remedy this defect without charge within a reasonable amount of time (60 days after your first attempt to obtain remedy), you may submit a written complaint to the Administrator, National Highway Traffic Safety Administration, 1200 New Jersey Ave. S.E., Washington, D.C. 20590, or call the toll-free Vehicle Safety Hotline at 1(888) 327- 4236 (TTY: 1-800-424-9153); or go to Home | Safercar -- National Highway Traffic Safety Administration (NHTSA). If you received this notice in error: Our records indicate you are the current owner of a 2006-2009 Vulcan 900. If you no longer have the vehicle described in this letter, please help us to update our records by submitting your new contact information at www.kawasaki.com/OwnerInfo/ownerSupportForm.aspx or by calling Kawasaki toll free at (866) 802-9381. Federal regulation requires that any vehicle lessor receiving this recall notice must forward a copy of this notice to the lessee within ten days.

P . O .

B o x

2 5 2 5 2

9 4 9 / 7 7 0 - 0 4 0 0 F a x 9 4 9 / 4 6 0 - 5 6 0 0 www.kawasaki.com

9950 Jeronimo Road Irvine, California 9 2 6 1 8 * 2 0 8 4

Santa Ana, California 9 2 7 9 9 - 5 2 5 2

Reimbursement: If you have experienced the failure described above prior to receiving this letter and have paid to have it corrected, you may be eligible for full or partial reimbursement for your documented cost of repair(s). To apply for reimbursement, please send copies of current owner and VIN information along with copies of repair orders and payment confirmation to the following address: Kawasaki Motors Corp., U.S.A. ATTN: Consumer Services Department P.O. Box 25252 Santa Ana, California 92799-5252 Please note the following conditions for reimbursement: · · Only repairs specifically related to this recall are eligible for reimbursement. Other expenses such as towing, rental, and accommodations will not be refunded. Claims may be excluded if proper documentation is not included. Current owner and VIN information along with copies of repair orders and payment confirmation must be provided.

We are sorry for any inconvenience this may cause, but we have taken this action in the interest of your safety and your continued satisfaction with your Kawasaki motorcycle. Sincerely, KAWASAKI MOTORS CORP., U.S.A.

Information
Kawasaki Motors Corp

2 pages

Report File (DMCA)

ADVERTISEMENT
a to z | Contact Readbag.com | DMCA

·
Registered
307 Posts
Does anyone what the dealers are looking for during the inspection?

·
Registered
307 Posts
Weird. My VIN does not show any recalls other than the tank.

·
Registered
57 Posts
Called Kawi when I saw the results of my VIN number search on their website under recalls. They confirmed them and directed me to the local dealer in the next town over. Best bet is to use their VIN number tool if you doubt anything. They said some bikes have had the recalls addressed and they have records of it if it happened.

·
Registered
57 Posts
Update: My bike has never had the tank replaced, the defective ones that leaked which were used to replace some didnt affect my ride. The fuel line check was good because I did indeed need work done to correct that, all replaced and repaired. My ECM was indeed one of the defective weld variety and Kawi is sending a new one out to the shop to replace it. 9400 miles on the clock and neither gave out yet but happy I no longer need to worry about these 2 issues. In all a good experience with my local dealer. Since I had to wait for the ECM I ordered new exhaust Gaskets and 4 new exhaust flange bolts. I recently purchased a mint take off factory 900 exhaust to replace the working but non factory dinged and rusted one on the bike. It was less than half the price of an aftermarket system. The current bolts looked terrible so I wanted new ones to match the shiny new pipes. The new front tire is now a match to the new rear Bridgestone. If the weather improves a 100 mile trip is in order to break them in. My band practices in a town 50 miles one way from me, so one weekend will do it. :)

·
Registered
5 Posts
I just picked up an 08 vulcan 900, previous owner noted that it sometimes leaked out of the gas cap after a fill. I rode it almost home, filled it up at the local station to the bottom of the metal cage, and had it leak and slowly drip while i was riding the rest of the way home. Then had it do it the next morning too. Not massive, but like when you get water stuck in your mirrors after a car wash... that annoying run/drip.

I checked my VIN, and it shows in this range, however i have no idea if the tank has been swapped... may have been swapped before the 1st owner took possession. I'm now the 3rd owner that i'm aware of.

Looks like it'll be visiting Kawi? :serious:

·
Registered
212 Posts
Recalls are as you know not subject to warranty time limits. Kaw is obligated to repair or replace.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts