Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok this has been going on for a little while now and it's starting to drive me crazy.I have an 06 1600 Nomad and after a decent ride on a warm day I shut the bike down and before I walk away from it I hear this hissing sound coming from the gas cap. Open it up to release the pressure and usually that takes care of it but on occasion the pressure will build back up and to stop that hiss I have to open the cap again. Anybody else ever have this happen to them? How do you fix it?
Any help would sure be appreciated.

·
Super Moderator
1,466 Posts
There always is some pressure in the tank. It is normal. But might as well check fuel cap and tank breather tube. The breather tube is the small hole in the gas cap lower hinge plate. Linked the page to check them from the factory repair manual. Also linked parts diagram to see fuel tank diagram.

·
Premium Member
1,482 Posts
Some hissing is normal, especially after long rides on hot days. The heat off the engine, as well as heat from riding in hot temps and in the sun cause the gas to heat up. Pressure builds up and needs to be released. The gas cap is designed to allow some pressure to build up to aid the fuel pump (or gravity flow in a carbed bike). The hissing is a result of the cap releasing pressure in excess of what is needed.

Reactions: Tourer

·
Registered
155 Posts
The second I posted this,I realized,I can't whistle,but my bike can,lol

·
Super Moderator
534 Posts
My Nomad does that too, usually after a long ride on a hot day. I will open the cap to release the pressure just because but I know it will eventually bleed off the air through the vent. Perfectly normal.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks everyone. I just don't remember it doing it last year but maybe my hearing is bad😂

1 - 8 of 8 Posts