Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone help here?

I've developed a gas tank leak at the rear of my tank where the tabs are welded on for the rear mounts and it leaks down on to my rear cylinder head. It started late last season, but it's now gotten bad enough I could find it. There was a recall on the 2003 VN1600 in 2007, but the recall was not extended to subsequent years.

Apparently it takes a while for vibration, etc. for it to show up. My bike has 23,000 miles.

Talked to my local dealer but he hasn't responded yet with a solution other than buying a $1000 dollar gas tank. I think this is an obvious and dangerous defect!

Attachments

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
No patch. Just left the accumulated leakage so the dealer could see it. The seat actually rubs against it too.

·
BOTM Winner, December 2016
326 Posts
I'd drain the tank and try some JB Weld or some such bonding agent before replacing the tank...

The crack may be brazed as well...

YMMV,
Luckymann77

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I finally got around to doing something about this leak. I found out there was a safety recall on all 2003 1600's where they would replace all gas tanks affected. Digging through some forum threads during the years, it appear that a number of members were able to get Kawasaki to warranty the tank on bikes after 2003, although most posts were quite a few years back still, like 2010. Anyway I went in my local dealer, they called Kawasaki and 4 weeks later I have a brand new 2006 color matched gas tank (about $1200 worth).

The dealer and I were actually shocked that Kawasaki would do this on a 10 year bike!

Kudos to Kawasaki! They will continue to have my business for many years to come.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Anyone help here?

I've developed a gas tank leak at the rear of my tank where the tabs are welded on for the rear mounts and it leaks down on to my rear cylinder head. It started late last season, but it's now gotten bad enough I could find it. There was a recall on the 2003 VN1600 in 2007, but the recall was not extended to subsequent years.

Apparently it takes a while for vibration, etc. for it to show up. My bike has 23,000 miles.

Talked to my local dealer but he hasn't responded yet with a solution other than buying a $1000 dollar gas tank. I think this is an obvious and dangerous defect!
Hi, I'm having the same issue, with gas leaking near the rear tabs on the gas tank. Did you report this issue to the NHTSA? Did Kawasaki give you a difficult time in replacing your tank? I'm at the beginning of phase, as I just found the leak on this past Saturday. I had the bike towed in yesterday to an authorized dealer.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
The service manager escalated the leak as a safety issue to Kawasaki and they responded postively almost immediately. Took about two weeks for tank to arrive from Japan. No charge for labor or anything!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts