Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2008 1600 nomad which I purchased two years ago. Just love the bike. But since I have owned it, I have noticed that when I go to open the gas tank there is a major suction. It is too the point where the tank seems to collapse a little but when to cover is opened, I can see it the tank expand back to its orginal shape. It don't seem normal.

I was wondering if this suction in the tank was needed for the fuel injection, or if it is that a vent is blocked. I haven't noticed any diffference in the performance of the bike.

Just wondering if any other 1600 users have the same issue? And if it is a problem, what to do about it.

·
Registered
37 Posts
I'm under the impression that these gas caps are made very cheep or very easy to stop up. Mine had a pressure issue and whistled all the time. It is also very hard to open with the key. I took my cap off, dis-assembled it and sprayed everything down with WD-40. So far it is not pressuring up and whistling. It is still very hard to open with the key. Try taking it off the tank and cleaning it real good. A vacuum is not normal.

·
Registered
56 Posts
Yep - half an hour after riding in the heat and I can still hear the fweeeeeeeeeeeeee of my gas cap. And I cleaned mine out as well.

Maybe, eventually, you just get used to it like a squeak in the floor?

·
Registered
6 Posts
so does that mean the fuel pump would be running in a vacuum?

if so i would think that would be hard on the fuel pump if its a push and not a pull pump , but i may be wrong

·
Registered
814 Posts
I have a 2008 1600 nomad which I purchased two years ago. Just love the bike. But since I have owned it, I have noticed that when I go to open the gas tank there is a major suction. It is too the point where the tank seems to collapse a little but when cover is opened, I can see the tank expand back to its orginal shape. It don't seem normal.

I was wondering if this suction in the tank was needed for the fuel injection, or if it is that a vent is blocked. I haven't noticed any diffference in the performance of the bike.

Just wondering if any other 1600 users have the same issue? And if it is a problem, what to do about it.
Rockkid, it must take two strong men to open your gas cap, or you just enjoy watching folks duck when they hear that “pop” when you finally get it open.:bomb:

Seriously, your fuel pump is working overtime and is gonna pass out one day. Either your gas cap vent mechanism is clogged or has malfunctioned, or the vent tube is pinched or constipated.

The “whistle” you guys hear is normal. A lot of the Vulcan gas caps make that sound when letting excess pressure out. I guess it’s a Vulcan trademark sound but I can imagine a worse sound :embarrassed: that would scatter folks.

·
Registered
91 Posts
My 2008 1600 tank cap has whistled since new. Never hear it during cooler months. But warmer weather I hear the whistle or a hissing sound. As for opening the cap, I always press down on the cap before I turn the key to open. Opens much easier!

·
Registered
252 Posts
I have a 2008 1600 nomad which I purchased two years ago. Just love the bike. But since I have owned it, I have noticed that when I go to open the gas tank there is a major suction. It is too the point where the tank seems to collapse a little but when to cover is opened, I can see it the tank expand back to its orginal shape. It don't seem normal.

You can find the fix here:
http://www.gadgetjq.com/whistle_stop.htm

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks everyone,

My cap have never whistled. I not sure what i would rather... a whistle or a suction that causes your gas tank to contract. First I thought the vacuum was neccessary for the fuel injection. My first bike had a carb, so this fuel injection was new to me. But a fellow rider told me that it must be a blocked vent tube. I wasn't sure if the bike had a vent tube or not.

So when i took my bike out of storage last week, the first thing I looked at was the gas cap. I noticed that there was a small pointed tube extended out from the gas cap that fit into a small rubber washer/ gasket on the tank. The rubber washer seem to be blocking offf the pointed tube. So i took out the rubber washer/gasket. I have not been on the bike since. I wondering now if this gasket stopped gas from splashing out onto the tank. I guess time will tell.

·
Registered
11,756 Posts
. It is too the point where the tank seems to collapse a little but when to cover is opened, I can see it the tank expand back to its orginal shape. It don't seem normal.

Your eyes are playing tricks on you. If there was any vacuum in that tank, the engine would not run.

What you are hearing is pressure release. The caps are designed to hold a slight pressure before release.
The pressure comes from the engine heat rising up and heating the gas which causes some vaporization which builds the pressure. The whistle comes from the release of some of that pressure.

I would replace any rubber washer that you removed.

·
Registered
252 Posts
Thanks everyone,

My cap have never whistled. I not sure what i would rather... a whistle or a suction that causes your gas tank to contract. First I thought the vacuum was neccessary for the fuel injection. My first bike had a carb, so this fuel injection was new to me. But a fellow rider told me that it must be a blocked vent tube. I wasn't sure if the bike had a vent tube or not.

So when i took my bike out of storage last week, the first thing I looked at was the gas cap. I noticed that there was a small pointed tube extended out from the gas cap that fit into a small rubber washer/ gasket on the tank. The rubber washer seem to be blocking offf the pointed tube. So i took out the rubber washer/gasket. I have not been on the bike since. I wondering now if this gasket stopped gas from splashing out onto the tank. I guess time will tell.
The gas cap is vented, if it did whistle it would be partly blocked so to say. The fix will fix that and a totally blocked vented gas cap. There is also a over flow tube with that rubber washer you said you removed, I would put it back or the gas will pour out of that tube when the gas slides up the side if the tank. Plus check that tube all the way to the ground making sure it is not crushed or blocked. With the gas cap vent and overflow tube clear there would be no way for any pressure to build up in your tank. You need working vents or gas would not get past the fuel pump.

·
Registered
37 Posts
My gas cap whistled after I bought it also. I looked at Gadgets page and decided not to do the spring thing. So I took the cap off and disassembled everything and sprayed it all down with WD-40. Whistle no more gas cap. Knock on wood I haven't had one whistle since. I do however have trouble getting the key to open the darn thing.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts