Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys.... I'm new to the VN800. Is it normal to have a smell of gas around the bike? I assume not. I'm kinda used to it from having emgo pods on top of the carbs on my V-Star I used to own, but this is stock. Nothing is leaking and I took the carb apart and cleaned it last Friday. I think the air filter might have got gas in it at some point... Maybe just replacing that will make it go away?

·
Registered
1,111 Posts
Yeah, its fairly normal. Nothing INTENSE though, just faint gas smell sometimes.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
No, this is pretty intense. I can't park it in the garage or the whole garage reeks of gas. But I don't see anything leaking anywhere.... ???

·
Registered
1,111 Posts
Well, then I suggest that you closely inspect it when it really smells bad. Don't forget to look in the exhausts. How much gas is in the tank? Are there any other gas powered vehicles in the garage that could be the source? How about other containers of gas in the garage?

Might want to place some sort of cardboard (or what-have-you) underneath it. The idea is that its something that would dis-color should gas drop down on it.

It could still be just normal venting. As for really intense smells, could it be your sensitivity to gas is high? My wife and granddaughter can smell all sorts of stuff that I can't. They complain about stuff that, to me, is barely noticeable.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
Found the leak! It's the "accelerator"� cover in the carb. I ran 500 grit on both sides to try and mate them better. It's really strange to me there's no gasket on that. Anyway, still leaked so I very carefully put a very thin coat of RTV silicone sealant making sure not to plug the gas hole or get it on the diaphragm. I let it sit for a few hours and it seems to no longer leak. I'll let it cure overnight and then reinstall and go for a test rip to see if it holds up.

Anybody else have issues with that part of the carb leaking?

Also.... I tested the float is working properly and I also took apart the petcock and everything seems to be in good order there.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts