Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

Gas pouring from under the seat

719 views 4 replies 4 participants last post by  btom 
#1 ·
About this time last year I came into possession of a 98 Vulcan 1500 classic, rebuilt the carb and the bike ran fine the rest of the season.

This year I rode it a few times and it seemed to be running rough and I had a hard time adjusting the idle. At one point I was not able to get it started and I believe it was because it was flooded. I did eventually get it to start and after about 5 minutes gas started pouring from under the seat. I believe it was coming from the port I have indicated below (as the hose runs under the sear to where the gas was coming from).

Anyone have any suggestions at what could be going on and what to look for?

Thanks!

See less See more
#3 ·
I just went thru rebuilding my 97 carb. It sat for 2 years before I bought the bike. The float needle sticking is a point of issue after sitting for sure take the bowl off. Push out the float pin, pull the float needle and clean it really good. Clean the port it goes in even better. Make sure it goes ip n down smoothly and the plunger on the needle moves smoothly with plenty of spring back against your finger. If not replace it. That needle kit is cheap might want to do it anyway as insurance honestly.

Sent from my SM-N975U using Tapatalk

#4 ·
I just wanted to update on this.... I took the carb off and there was a bunch of crud in the bowl (I must not have done a good job the 1st time I had it off and rebuilt it last year). Cleaned it up again, put it back on and she fired right up. I suspect the needle wasn't seating fully causing it to flood.

#5 ·
that hose running under your seat is the carb bowl air vent hose, it is suppose to keep the inside of the bowl at same pressure as outside air, what happen was the carb bowl filled too much with gas and then poured out thru that air vent hose to under your seat, the fix is to adjust the carb bowl float

Reactions: bearslayer
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.