Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
299 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey
So each time i refuel i always fill it to the max
The thing is that theres always a strong gas smell afterward and i need to drive like 5km or so to lower the fuel level and get rid of the smell. Is it normal though?

Sent from my ONEPLUS A5000 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2,037 Posts
You are definitely overfilling it and some of the gas is probably vented through the overfill tube. Fill your tank while the bike is on the kick stand not while sitting on it level. It will definitely be overfilled if you do that.

·
Registered
904 Posts
One other thing, if you have a black bike, with the sun blaring down and you just filled your fuel tank, the rise in temperature inside the tank will cause fuel to expand and release more vapours and with no space in the tank, they’ll come out the vent tube, as it was designed to do. You would smell gas. My black 800 Classic does this in the Summer, if I just filled it and the sun is on the tank. I can even hear the fuel vapour escaping and I can definitely smell it.

·
Registered
212 Posts
If you over fill close to home and go straight home, heat from the engine on the parked bike will expand the fuel as well, fuming and venting onto the garage floor. Never good. It's best practice to stop at the fill line.

Another thing to realize is, the bike should be fueled on the side stand, and if you have the bars turned to the right, it is tilted over a good amount. When you stand up the bike to ride away, the level rises in the right side and fill tube, so it is higher than where you stopped filling.

·
Registered
299 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
If you over fill close to home and go straight home, heat from the engine on the parked bike will expand the fuel as well, fuming and venting onto the garage floor. Never good. It's best practice to stop at the fill line.

Another thing to realize is, the bike should be fueled on the side stand, and if you have the bars turned to the right, it is tilted over a good amount. When you stand up the bike to ride away, the level rises in the right side and fill tube, so it is higher than where you stopped filling.
So just put it on the kick stand to avoid problems

Sent from my ONEPLUS A5000 using Tapatalk

1 - 9 of 9 Posts