Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Banned
228 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
just did a trip and the 9er averaged 48.6 mpg with me (215 lbs) and about 30ish lbs of luggage. Not too shabby!

·
Registered
208 Posts
Pretty good mpg there Redking. I am running pretty close to that except I am around the 250# mark at 6'2''. The good mpg was one of the things that got my attention when I was bike shoping. And the good mpg is why I ride as much as I can instead of driving the Dodge p/u with the Hemi v8. I wish I would have known gas was going to go up back when I got my truck because I would have gotten something alot smaller.

Now I will brag on something that happened to our area. With the recent release of the oil reserves, our gas prices are falling. It's still high, and it's sad when we get excited about $3 gas, but it is what it is. So with all that said, our gas prices have dropped to $3.23 gallon. I am curious what prices up north are doing, but hopefully they are droping also.

·
Banned
228 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
$3.59 in Northern New Mexico and Utah and that is sad because we pump it and refine it right here in San Juan county, NM

·
Premium Member
336 Posts
just did a trip and the 9er averaged 48.6 mpg with me (215 lbs) and about 30ish lbs of luggage. Not too shabby!
I recently took a trip of about 250 miles and was interested to check the milage while at a somewhat constant speed. About every 100 miles or so I stopped to stretch and usually got gas. For the first bit, I got about 38 mpg.

That surprised me, as I am about 190 wearing my jeans, jacket and helmet...and the bike had no other load but me. But we were against the wind most of the way.

After that, I averaged about 46 mpg which was somewhat better.
Speed was about 70-75 most of the way.

Rod

·
Registered
1,467 Posts
A couple months ago we were coming up from AR. Me & the wife (310# total), a batwing fairing and a good 20-30 mph headwind. 34 mpg! I thought I must have a fuel leak somewhere until I realized all the factors working against us.

·
Banned
228 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
yep, with only 900cc, I think a decent head wind really takes a toll on out gas mileage. I'm running the SC front pulley and getting the rpms down at higher speeds I think helps my economy. And hey I picked it up used for 140 so I cant complain.

·
Registered
1,068 Posts
Wife and I just pulled a 13-hour, 390 mile tour of central and southern Idaho yesterday. We live in Twin Falls (2 hours east of Boise and about 40 minutes north of the NV border). We headed north and I filled up in Hailey. Spent the next 4 hours carving up ID75, over Galena Summit and along the Salmon River toward Challis. On that tank of gas, I averaged slightly over 55 MPG, speed was typically between 45-70 and with very little idling or low speed travel, except where ITD had ID75 torn down to sloppy gravel for 2 miles (UNPLEASANT). 138 miles later, we were at a Sinclair station just outside Challis where I put in 2.8 gallons of TERRIBLE gas. Poor 9-Ball didn't know what to do, and I was pissed because I knew I could've pushed on to Arco and way past with how she was running on my last tank. Poor bike lugged bad, didn't want to accelerate in 5th gear, and idled like crap until I was back down below 1/2 tank again.

Then we toured Craters of the Moon national monument, and scooted down US93 back to Shoshone (li'l podunk where I grew up) and filled up at Wyant's Shell. That tank averaged only 45 MPG at very similar speeds with a lot less hill climbing. That'll be the last time I'm lazy about getting gas, or ignore my gut feeling for that matter.

that 55 mpg from Hailey to Challis is the best I've seen outta 9-Ball. EVER. Worst I've had was 100 miles into a 30-40 MPH headwind, where I averaged 36 MPG. Probably would've helped if I hadn't made her go 75 most of the way. :p

BTW, made the wife take a couple pictures of my bike on Galena, overlooking the Salmon river valley...figured I'd better get some photographic record of these rides XD

·
Registered
121 Posts
I get a little over 40mpg with a windshield, and a fair bit of double up riding.

Something I've been curious about - my Toyota Yaris gets very nearly the same fuel economy as my bike. Why don't bikes get better mileage? I was talking to a fellow I know who has a 1300 VTX and his bike does worse than my car. Average automobile fuel economy seems to have increased significantly over the 18 year gap since I've been riding, but not for bikes. Why?

Cheers,
Kerry

·
Registered
1,554 Posts
I've taken a "tank's worth" trip during which I averaged 53 mpg. That was with me riding solo (265 lbs), and adding cold weather leathers and an overnight bag. We were in a group with a newer rider, so there were no agressive take-offs or speeds over 65 mph.

The worst I've ever gotten was 41 mpg with my shield on, wife riding 2-up and riding the whole way home into a headwind. I was "agressively" working on getting home before dark, so the average speed was around 70 mph for that trip.

Usually, I'm around 45-48 mpg, whether solo or 2-up, mix of city and highway.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Wife's 08 Classic gets 55-58 MPG all the time riding solo with M/S Fats windscreen, saddle bags and she weighs in at a whopping 125 lbs. BTY gas here in Melbourne Arkansas is $3.169 for 87 octane.

·
Registered
1,068 Posts
Something I've been curious about - my Toyota Yaris gets very nearly the same fuel economy as my bike. Why don't bikes get better mileage? I was talking to a fellow I know who has a 1300 VTX and his bike does worse than my car. Average automobile fuel economy seems to have increased significantly over the 18 year gap since I've been riding, but not for bikes. Why?
Automotive engines have also become considerably more complex in that period of time. Motorcycles are just recently beginning to use fuel-management technology that's on par with what's in my '89 K5 Blazer. The components that compose systems like variable displacement and variable valve timing, which are big guns in modern automotive fuel economy, take up a lot of physical space in the engine and are very expensive. The electronic components that manage these systems suffer the same drawbacks. And implementation of these systems in motorcycle manufacturing would very likely rule out the V-twin as a competitor. Where would you hang all that crap on a twin cylinder motor? And who would want one that drops to a 1-jug thumper when you're cruising?

"Dude, your bike sounds like ASS."

"It's got variable displacement, bro!"

It would also surely drive up the cost, that presents another problem. Many of us may be willing to pay a bigger bike payment than a car payment (I would) but one in lieu of the other? Yeah, it does snow here, and I know I couldn't afford both.

However, I imagine that if they detuned a bike to be as slow as an econo-box, you'd probably get waaaaay better mileage on the bike. But man...if you want a slow bike, get one with pedals. :D

·
Registered
292 Posts
I average 48 mpg solo and 44 mpg 2-up; most of the time we are 60 to 65 mph. 2-up, headwind, 80+ mph and mountain passes yielded 41 mpg.

·
Registered
73 Posts
I averaged 50 mpg last tankful. That was puttering around and running in 3rd and 4th to accommodate riding with my wife who has a Honda Metro..... This is one nice thing about the 900. Larger displacements get in the low 30s....you get that low you might as well drive a cage.

·
Registered
147 Posts
I discovered www.fuelly.com a few months back -- it is soooo great!

You can track your mileage, trends, averages -- all with a few clicks.
You can also compare your mileage to other folks with the same ride.

Check it out, as I said, I love it. I can't imagine doing it in a simpler way.

·
Registered
163 Posts
Good here

I am running 48-51 mph in city driving and twisty turns combination. never just did HWY only test but I am good with where I am at for sure

·
Registered
166 Posts
Don't complain about fuel prices - here in downunder we pay average $1.40 AU - equals to $1.50 US !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Cheers ??

·
Registered
1,068 Posts
Don't complain about fuel prices - here in downunder we pay average $1.40 AU - equals to $1.50 US !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Cheers ??
I'm assuming that's by the liter. And yeah, we Americans have enjoyed very cheap gas for a very long time compared to the rest of the world. We still do in all honesty.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts