Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

1 - 20 of 45 Posts

·
Registered
170 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I remember a thread a while back about what you were getting for gas milage. Well I filled my tank today and calcualted my milage and only got 32 mpg. I don't know how you guys are getting in the high 40's and low 50's. Most of my riding during the week is within the city. Tommorow I'll be doing highway. Hopefully I'll get better.

·
Registered
1,554 Posts
I remember a thread a while back about what you were getting for gas milage. Well I filled my tank today and calcualted my milage and only got 32 mpg. I don't know how you guys are getting in the high 40's and low 50's. Most of my riding during the week is within the city. Tommorow I'll be doing highway. Hopefully I'll get better.
Mine, during the break-in period was getting around 44-45. Once I drilled the baffles, it seemed to get a bit more, averaging 46.5. Today I had the 1st service completed, so will check it again after this tank, but 32 sounds low... sure ya punched up the numbers right?

All of these numbers, BTW, are for an 08 900 custom with a larger rider, LOL. 6'4" and 240.

·
Registered
46 Posts
The guys getting the high mpg numbers are riding customs and classic's, we ain't gonna see numbers like that on our LT's because of that sail out front.

·
Registered
533 Posts
At 32mpg, something doesn't sound quite kosher:confused: , although your riding in the city may have something to do with it. I run a lot of back roads at around 50mph due to twistees. My commute to work is a straight shot down a 4-lane which I run at about 60-65. I seldom run faster than 70, and I don't ride 2-up. I have pipes/intake/fuelpak and, riding like I do, I seldom get less than 49-50. I usually fill up when I show 170 miles, and always take slightly over 3 gallons. Perhaps it's my riding style. I don't think I could ask for more.

·
Registered
256 Posts
Crooksie, my Classic has a big windshield. I took the mileage on one tank that was about 80% highway which figured out to 44.6mpg (US gallons).

·
Registered
170 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I was doing highway riding today and the milage was much better. Today I got 47 mpg.

·
Registered
92 Posts
I'm looking at my vehicle maintenance program (sourceforge.net and search for VMT), and since February 1, 2009 (when I bought 900 custom used), I am averaging 49.08 mpg.

See attached pic.

Hopefully it's legible enough

Attachments

·
Registered
137 Posts
I ride 75 miles every day. I get 50 mpg. I did take my windshield off for summer (I love the air and I don't cook behind it). I have a 2009 LT.

I figure 200 miles and its fuel-up time. I know the tank holds more, but I like the idea that I have more than enough in reserve.

T

·
Registered
40 Posts
I just did a ride through the country this morning on my new LT.....filled it up before I left.....did 180 miles.....a mixture of crusing, stops and hard excel's.....filled it when I got back....52 MPG.....all stock except for Vance and Hines pipes.

·
Registered
170 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I'm wondering if our fuel up here in Canada has to much ethanol in it. I do run premium fuel.

·
Registered
256 Posts
I'm wondering if our fuel up here in Canada has to much ethanol in it. I do run premium fuel.
Crooksie, Shell V power premium has no ethanol. (in Canada)

·
Registered
77 Posts
08 Custom

Only have about 450 miles on mine. but with a mix of mostly highway and country roads with a little town riding thrown in. Im getting right at 50 mpg. im 6'1'' 235 lbs. I do however have to fix the guage. already bought the resisters LOL. Ride Safe all.
Rick

·
Registered
1,051 Posts
I'm riding a 2008 Vulcan 1600 Nomad and getting low to mid 40's... I ride all sort of places, city, country back roads, interstate... slow speed & high speed... always seems to be in the 40's everytime I check it. :)

·
Registered
64 Posts
Mpg

I got a 2009 Classic LT and I got about 52 during the break in. No hard acceleration. After break in, depending on how hard i get on it, I avg. about 45+ mpg.
forgot to mention I usually run 91 octane. fuel. never useedd any fuel lower then 89 octane.

·
Registered
170 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Crooksie, Shell V power premium has no ethanol. (in Canada)
I'm starting to wonder about the Co-op gas. Maybe I need to switch for the bike. At the same time I'm no lightweight, maybe my 300 lbs frame might be causing the milage to slide abit.

·
Registered
1,051 Posts
I know I can really tell a difference in my cars when the gas has ethanol... the milage really goes down... could also tell it on my Harley... ethanol gas would make that twin cam 96 ping, and the milage went south. On my Nomad I can not tell as much of a difference, but I usually buy 93 octane Shell or BP whenever I can... and we have a local Kwik Sak that sells 100% real gas I will buy gas from every now and then just to keep the mix honest so to say. I would think you guys (and gals) riding 900's should be getting upper 40's to mid 50's... heck I average 45 mpg on my 1600 Nomad and I weigh in at 230 to 240 lbs, and do get on the throttle every now and then :cool:

·
Registered
64 Posts
Mileage comparisions between a 900 and a 1700 are not compatible. While the 1700 has 250+ lbs on the 900, the power train is geared for the bigger engine.

The biggest problem with mileage on the 900 is the missing 6th gear. If I baby my 900 I can get 50+ mpg. but if I ride over 65 mph on the freeway I actually lose mpg because the engine is so revv'ed out.

·
Registered
171 Posts
I've got the 900 custom with a smaller windshild and I'm getting around 50 mpg on a regular basis. My riding is half city and the other half highway. I don't know if it makes any difference but I run the Cobra fuel processor and a set of Bub (Jug Hugger) pipes.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Ok...newb here with perhaps a stupid question...but here it goes anyway...

I have an 09 900 Custom...do we have a fuel reserve switch? The manual says nothing about it, so I'm assuming not...?

Also, once the low fuel light goes on, I usually go for gas...but then I'm only putting 3.3 +/- gallons in and I know we have a 5.3 gallon tank...that means I should get at least another 50-60 miles out of her...Does anyone know how far you can go once the light goes on?

1 - 20 of 45 Posts