Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
so my project bike finally runs great, it looks like a rusty old junker but its running better than I can ever remember. a buddy of mine and I completely broke the carburetor down and cleaned it. problem was when we put it back together it was leaking gas from somewhere and out the air filter. so being that I had run out of patience and money, the bike sat outside in the weather for a year and a half. now I am back at it and I seem to have everything in working order, other than a slow gas leak and my turn signals blink together like hazards... any ideas???

2000 Kawasaki Vulcan 800

·
Registered
26 Posts
Electrically I'd start by checking all earth points. If you say it's a rusty old thing, then corrosion is your enemy when it comes to electrics. Make sure all earthing has a good connection. Then you probably just want to give all of the wiring a good inspection. It's not too difficult to do when you have the seat and tank removed. Inspect all connectors too.
Regarding the carb, a common one is for the float doesn't stop the fuel at the correct level. It can be simply down to maladjustment or the needle isn't seating correctly. It's time to remove your carb and check the float height and make sure the needle assembly is clean and seats correctly in the orifice.

·
Registered
445 Posts
Start with the easy stuff first. Check your signal bulbs you may have to replace one.

As for leaking fuel. The petcock is the first place to look remove the fuel line while in the run or res position and if it drips you need a new petcock ASAP. Then go onto checking the float and needle.

·
Registered
134 Posts
Sounds like the float is not set right. You should replace the float bowl gasket since you'll be opening up the carb.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
i havent been able to get back at it yet, but plan to this week. going to try checking the petcock, then ill need to figure how to check the float position. as for the signals, they only started acting up when i put in new led signals. they worked fine before...

1 - 7 of 7 Posts