Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hey guys maybe you can help me out. i am new to the motorcycle and am wondering why gas was leaking from my exhaust i havent started it since last friday an parked it in the garage an i pulled it out today to crank it up an could smell gas an i got down an check an seen gas dripping from my pipes. dont know what has caused this an really need to know i wanna ride my bike.

D

·
0 Posts
My 800 did that too. It was the fuel valve on the tank. It's vacuum controlled so it opens automatically when you start your bike. It's supposed to be a positive shut off when you kill the motor. The O rings wear and then it leaks.
I put a Pingel on mine after replacing the O ring once and having it leak again. I don't know how the Pingel will work out cuz the ground is still under two feet of snow here. We'll see in the Spring.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Ok I fixed that problem now I have a leak a mixture of gas an oil under the bike an white smoke came out of my pipes. If anyone could help me out that would be great someone said to put premium gas in it. Will that fix my problem?

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
An if it is how do I fix it man I really wanna ride my bike I passed the MSF course yesterday an I am jonesn

D

·
0 Posts
D

·
0 Posts
What's your fuel tap set to? You have Prime, Reserve and On. If it's on Prime you're dumping gas down the carb. That makes the float bowl overflow and that gas runs into to cylinders. It will either leak past the piston rings and dilute your oil or run out the exhaust valves, down the pipes and onto the ground. Or both, which is most likely.
Pull the oil filler cap and take a good whiff, if you smell gas you've got trouble.

D

·
0 Posts
About directly above the oil fill cap, on the bottom on the gas tank you'll see this doodad

What is it set at? In the picture you can see is says ON and PRI. The marking you can see says RES. If this doodad is set to PRI, there's your trouble. Set it to ON. Get a funnel and a can first so you can catch the gas that's going to leak out. Next, pull the fuel line off the doodad, BTW, it's really called a petcock - some skittish folks call it a fuel tap, be sure to squeeze the clamp open so you don't bust the fuel line. Get that funnel up under the petcock and drain the gas into the can. It should settle down to a drip in a few seconds. The drip should stop within 5 minutes. If, with the petcock in the on position, gas just pours out, you'll know the petcock isn't functioning at all. If after 5 minutes it still drips, you've got a leaky O ring or diaphragm. If it doesn't leak at all then you may have just had it set on PRI, which stands for PRIME. Prime bypasses the vacuum diaphragm and lets the fuel run full on all the time. Prime is only used if you run out of gas.
Once you get the petcock fixed be sure to change the oil AND filter before you run the bike. Gas diluted oil can ruin your engine.
You should be aware that carbureted motorcycles use gravity instead of a fuel pump. That's why bikes have fuel petcocks. In the old days you had to shut the gas off every time you shut the bike off. Modern bikes, like the VN800 use a vacuum powered petcock. When ever the carburetor draws air it creates a vacuum. That vacuum is used to open the petcock when the bike is started.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts