Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Yeah so I got a 2018 Vulcans se abs, two months ago I changed the oil on my bike, and my collection pan reaked of gas so bad that I had to remove it from my shop. I took it in to the dealer and they told me that it was normal for small amount of gas to get in with the oil. So i contacted the factory about it and they had me take it back to the dealer, where the techs are gonna talk and go over it with factory support. I got it back and they told that the factory said that it was an acceptable amount of gas in the with the oil. Does anyone else have a similar problem, or does anyone have any thoughts on this? Please let me know, because I'm just not quite buying that it's acceptable.

·
Registered
117 Posts
No, gas in the oil is not normal in the least, something is seriously wrong with your bike. I'd recommend taking it to a different dealer as those guys you first went to are idiots.

·
Premium Member
671 Posts
I have to concur with Graham. Gas Oil gets in oil in two primary ways- through worn/defective piston rings or defective injectors that don't close. In either event, gas in the oil is not "normal," most especially in a brand new bike, and acts as a solvent to thin the oil.

As a for instance, my bike is almost 15 years old, 45+k miles, and I have never had the smell of gas in my oil.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Considering that oil is present in the cylinder when there is ignition, there is going to be trace amounts of fuel in the oil. More so if your running rich. The strength of smell weighs on a number of variables, ranging from using conventional oil, long intervals between oil changes, not seating you piston rings after break in, etc.
Though I encourage trying another dealership and see if you have a different response. I recently had an individual tell me that I should (only) change my rear sprocket... some places hire family (even if unqualified) I reckon.

·
Registered
3,027 Posts
How many miles on the bike?
Had it been thoroughly warmed up on your previous drives before the change or maybe was it mostly shorter drives?
Do you occasionally, or maybe frequently, start it just to hear/see it run without actually driving it...or just a quick trip around the block, so to speak?

·
Registered
11,753 Posts
Check the plugs for fuel/carbon fouling.
If they pass, then do a fuel pressure retention test, key off.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts