Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My gas cluster is not accurate it was when I first bought it in 05 but in 09 last year it started giving me problems. what's happening to my fuel level indicator light would go on ( which is currect I let it go very low on gas ) but my cluster level read 1/2 tank. Whats causing my cluster not to be accurate? (I have a vulcan 2000 LTD 05) :confused:

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Im assuming , If the sending unit was not good the level indicator light would not go on as well. Unless you got something to back it up with...

·
Registered
148 Posts
Im assuming , If the sending unit was not good the level indicator light would not go on as well. Unless you got something to back it up with...
The idiot light is independent it works correctly even though the gauge is not functioning properly.
Bare

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Is there a float in the gas tank? and if there is one could that cause the problem?

·
Registered
148 Posts
Is there a float in the gas tank? and if there is one could that cause the problem?
Yes the float is part of the sending unit, the float is not the problem it's the resistors of different values that have gone south.Go to CHEAPCYCLESPARTS.COM order a sending unit for your bike, cheapest in the world.
1 GAGE 52005-0022 $109.64
1 GASKET 11060-1952 49.60
plus shipping
I am a Kawa tech going on 38 years I have replaced many.
Bare

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Well I ordered the 2 parts and the bolt that goes to the gaugefuel .
Does the gasket need a gasket sealer?

·
Registered
553 Posts
Yes the float is part of the sending unit, the float is not the problem it's the resistors of different values that have gone south.Go to CHEAPCYCLESPARTS.COM order a sending unit for your bike, cheapest in the world.
1 GAGE 52005-0022 $109.64
1 GASKET 11060-1952 49.60
plus shipping
I am a Kawa tech going on 38 years I have replaced many.
Bare
Mine is not working. Shows Full all the time.
Idiot light works fine too as you said different circuits.
Took it in for a warranty repair for it. Waited over a week and then when it came in, the friggin' thing leaked. Gas ran down the wires inside the wire cover to the plug. They put the old one back on and I picked up the bike. Waiting for next part.
Glad I didn't pay for it...

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Well just got the parts today . My next step is to use up my gas and find some time . I want to get this done ASAP.

·
Registered
41 Posts
It is an easy repair. I pulled mine out to check it, cleaned it a little and it helped but didn't fix the problem. I am looking forward to see if it takes care of yours before I replace mine. Te first time mine did it the shop fixed it, said it was the speedo head and replaced it, 10 months later it did it again. After looking at the float I can see how this could happen..... Keep us posted!!

Can Ethanol cause this problem? I never had any problems until that was the only gas you could buy....

Steve

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Ok I took it slow cause never work on a motoecycle before , I didnt even have to removed any gas lines ( I sat the tank on a chair ) I but the tank back turn the key and it's working. But after I but the tank back I wanted to check the plugs , oops !! I'll do that tomorrow.

Thanks you !!!:)

·
Registered
41 Posts
Viper, Let us know after about a week if it's still working. I hvae done this also and it didn't work very long ....

Steve

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
ok but I only drive the cycle on the weekend , and sometimes on thursday .
I filled the cycle this saterday drove it for 2 hr , today was out for 2 hr again and its still working, I will keep you updated.

PS. whats happening with yours does it do anything?

·
Registered
59 Posts
Yes I do have a shop in Lake Wylie South Carolina, my specialty is V2K's.
Bare
You're 4 hours North of me. I'll keep you in mind if I need a bunch done at once, or if I get a really ill V2K. :) I am in warranty still, lost our local dealership, and my gas gauge went bad about a year ago.

Herb

1 - 20 of 27 Posts