Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

701 - 713 of 713 Posts

·
Registered
245 Posts
I’ve had my 2007 vn900 for two years now , red fuel lights never come on ?. The other day I let fuel gauge go into the red and it still never came on ?.is this normal,when does fuel light come on,what’s the best way to check it .
Ride safe

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Checking the wiring diagram, it looks like there is a fuel level sensor (for the gauge) and a fuel reserve switch (part of the fuel pump) which I guess turns on the low fuel light. Here's the diagnostics for the switch:

Attachments

·
Registered
507 Posts
I’ve had my 2007 vn900 for two years now , red fuel lights never come on ?. The other day I let fuel gauge go into the red and it still never came on ?.is this normal,when does fuel light come on,what’s the best way to check it .
Ride safe

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Motorcycle gas gauges are purely decorative. Mostly because it's darned hard to measure volume that is decreasing in a non-linear fashion (think about the shape of the tank...) with a linear potentiometer. By "darned hard", I mean, of course, impossible.

I think my practice is pretty common: I set the trip meter when I gas up, and typically get 160 miles or so before the next fill-up. YMMV,of course, since I ride like your old Aunt Elma.

You can always strap on a little jerry can and just run the beast until either the light comes on or it putt putts to a stop, and make a note of what the trip meter says.

·
Registered
15 Posts
I recently did that gas gauge fix mentioned above soldering a 270 ohm resistor on the speedo circuit board. It improves the accuracy a whole lot. Prior to doing the fix I wondered too if my fuel warning light worked. Figured I'll just run out of gas if I have to and see if it comes on. I brought a small amount of gas in case I did and low and behold it came on. Again this was prior to me doing the fix so the needle was on empty for quite some time. For anyone that knows how to solder, do the fix. It's simple opening the speedo...an allen screw, a harness plug and 3 strews.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Just came across this thread... as a new rider I thought it was weird that my needle on my 2014 Vulcan 900 custom would point to almost empty (no lights yet) but when I filled it up it only allowed around 3.1 gallon (12 liters) when the tank's supposed to be 5.3gallong (20 liters).

·
Registered
5 Posts
fix worked for me

thought i would put my 2 cents in this old thread - the 260 ohm resistor fix worked great for me [not sure why you would mess with the printed circuit board when the fuel gauge connector is out in the open after you remove the tank bezel] - i would strongly suggest soldering the resistor between the wires at the connector [just jamming the leads of the resistor into the connector and securing it with a cable tie or tape doesn't make for a solid long lasting connection] - amazon has a 10 pack of 270 ohm resistors for about $10 [they ohm out at 265 to 266 ohms] - also as mentioned before in this thread - this fix doesn't effect the low fuel light just the sweep of the gauge - it's funny how something that has been a thorn in the side for so long for so many people has such a simple and easy fix - kudos to the folks in this forum for all the valuable info on this and all the other issues. :wink2:

·
Registered
5 Posts
resistor

Hey Marty, I got the resistor on amazon , it comes in a 10 pack for about 10 bucks - look for 270 ohms - they will ohm out at around 265 - as far as the picture goes if you look through the earlier pages of this thread you will find a picture - ok found it - page 13 - post # 129 - you'll find the connector at the front of the gas tank after you remove the gauge bezel .... hope this info helps :wink2: here's a link for the resistors.

[ame]https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0002KR52Y/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o05_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1[/ame]

·
Registered
9 Posts
i dont have a picture but its taped up under the front of my gas tank. A friend of mine ordered the resistor for me i think he got it from amazon/radioshack maybe. all i did was stuck each end of the resistor in the bottom side of the sending unit plug just so it touches both wires and taped it up real good it has never caused me a problem.

·
Registered
46 Posts
I'm still new to my 2010 Custom - all stock except for an FI2000 (not FI2000R) and Roadburner 2.5 pipes.

I'm just about able to hit 70 miles on 1/2 tank, but a lot of that is city driving, only a few miles to work including traffic lights, no highway.

Does that seem right? I was expecting more.

·
Registered
673 Posts
I'm still new to my 2010 Custom - all stock except for an FI2000 (not FI2000R) and Roadburner 2.5 pipes.

I'm just about able to hit 70 miles on 1/2 tank, but a lot of that is city driving, only a few miles to work including traffic lights, no highway.

Does that seem right? I was expecting more.
If your fuel gauge is on, it sounds about right. If all hwy riding I get about 180-210 miles before the light comes on, in the city 125-160miles. O yeah I in stalled the resistor a long time ago, best $5 spent.

·
Registered
673 Posts
You have to remember there is still about 5-6 qts. left when the light comes on.

·
Registered
85 Posts
I may have already posted in this thread. I have an '06 VN900B, so no reserve switch. The gas gauge always says it is empty. I have not done any troubleshooting and just go off of the trip odometer. The idiot light works, so I use that as well. I try to fuel up soon after I see it is on to be on the safe side. Not sure how many miles I should expect to have left once it comes on.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

701 - 713 of 713 Posts